Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2003 D4D Turbo Problem?

dr rog

Ok Rav4 is 53 plate 73k been in family since new.

Already had 1 new turbo from Toyota 3-4 years ago.

Recent new dual mass fly wheel.

Now we have a new problem. At first it was making a noise on hard acceleration - thought it was a loose or broken hose.

Now the problem appears differently the car seems to run fine when cold but after the turbo has boosted 3-4 times then it will not boost again. It gets to about 3k revs and it feels like I have deployed a parachute!

Been to my friendly local garage and he is a little stumped. All hoses ok, no fault codes.

I really don't want to just get a new turbo if that's not the problem.

Any suggestions?

Try a couple of bottles of Forte turbo cleaner in a tank of derv, use the whole tank and see if anything improves? It's not expensive in the great scheme of things and it can't do any harm.

tried that - also ran down the road in 3rd at 4k revs to see if it cleared but to no avail :(

Hi Roger,

Could be a blocked/partially blocked 'cat' - the first exhaust box, just after the turbo downpipe. This will strangle the exhaust flow, and limit revs to something around 3000.

To check this out, unbolt the joint flange just before the car (leave the downpipe in place), and remove the rest of the exhaust (or wire up VERY securely). Test drive the car - it will be surprisingly quiet, due to the sound-damping action of the turbo.

If power returns, then the cat box ceramic honeycomb is blocked up. Replace the box, or remove its contents.

An easy test to do, which will pinpoint or eliminate something basic. Turbos tend to go on forever, so don't think about replacing one of these, unless everything else has been thoroughly eliminated.

BTW, when power delivery drops off, does the car go into 'limp mode' (hardly any power) and the engine management light come on?

Chris

No engine management light has ever come on. Showing no fault codes either.

Just driven it since it was at garage yesterday and now seems to be no boost at all. Can tootle around at 30 mph but wouldn't want to get on the motorway.

Will chat with mechanic about exhaust/cat, EGR, SCV (all suggestions I found on here).

Still struggling - anyone recommend experts in or within 60 miles of Milton Keynes?

Hi Roger.

I'm guessing you may have already looked at this thread.

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/148647-egr-or-scv-issue/

We're no expert car mechanics, but checked the SCVs and EGR ourselves.

The help received in here has been invaluable.

Linda

ok new diagnosis. Judging by the noise the car is making at around 2.5k revs (described as turbo stutter by mechanic) seems its a loose or split hose or perhaps a split intercooler. Without a smoke machine its tough to find though. Any suggestions?

• 1 year later...

My Yaris 06 1.4D4d is doing the same. on 2nd 3rd and 4th gears above 3000 revs it feels like i am towing someone and is trying to start his car on gear. Full service just done. All filters new. EGR cleaned by carb cleaner and checked piston that its moving.

It doesn't feel like lack of diesel when injectors are dirty but sort of the boost is on and off all the time.

Any suggestions?

Mine turn out to be a blocked catalyst - new exhaust solved the problem

After the cleaning with carb cleaner as described earlier. The exhaust was emitting a lot of white smoke. (carb cleaner burning). Then, I gave it a good run on second and third gear over 4000 revs constantly, at first nothing changed, then I felt like someone bumped into me and it kicked in as before.

1 days since the event everything seems normal. Someone on a forum discussed the SCV (suction control valves) but I could not locate them to clean them.

Your issue seems legit. I will try to check the Catalyst.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links