Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Boot Door Problem.

clh11

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum so hello!! I've come on here for some help with my car....

I have a 2002 rav4, which I love - great for getting my 2 labradors about! - but a few months ago when I opened the boot, it swung open wildly and much further than it ever had before! So apparently the arm or strut which controlled the opening of the door had broken and fell off! I didn't worry much about it but have recently noticed dents on my back door and the crack in my bumper where the door is connecting with the tail lights and bumper when it swings open.....so what is the correct name of this piece and where would I be able to get one from and any idea how much it might cost? Also, is this something that my other half can fit or would I need to take it to a garage? Am hoping to keep cost down asap!!! I have tried searching on google but don't really know what I'm looking for!

Any help gratefully received,

Thanks very much

Claire :)

Welcome to the club!

It sounds like you need a Rear Door Check Strap fitted. Easy job you can do yourself in a matter of 20 minutes, so don't be taking it a garage for that.

There are instructions in the pinned section how to do it on a 4.3. I think you have a 4.2 but i'd imagine it's somewhat similar.

Contact our very own Parts-King for a price for the part. A cheery fellow who offers TOC discount!

Good luck

Webs

That's brilliant, thank you very much!! - much more helpful that my useless google searching!!!

Hopefully I'll have it sorted soon!

Cheers,

Claire :)

I'm sure those on here with the same motor as yer own will verify or deny my ramblings.

Webs

I'm sure those on here with the same motor as yer own will verify or deny my ramblings.

Webs

I have the mechanical ability and inclination of a gnat and the idea of having to remove trim and peel back the plastic sheeting from the black gungy stuff and put it back it again gives me a fit of the vapours! Garage (cheap indie) for me on a job like this.

Claire,

Ref: Webley's post yesterday, I have just changed my original rear door retaining fixture for a longer one to give a wider opening. As Webley suggests there is an article & photo's of a 4.3 but mine is a 4.2 (2001) and the only difference is that on the 4.2 you don't have to unplug a light fitting, 'cos their ain't one there!

An alternative source (for the longer unit) is Japarts in Edgeware Rd, London. www.japarts.co.uk who come out at lower cost even than Parts-King with his discount!

And it's not a difficult job. Remove the rear trim, carefully pull away part of the plastic membrane, tap the pin holding the strap to the body upwards to release, undo the two nuts on the door. stick your hand inside the membrane to grab the unit before it falls down inside the door! then install the replacement and reverse the rest of the removal steps. Done comfortably in an hour or so.

Hope this helps.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

Thanks for all the help and advice... I bought a new check strap and the 'other half' fitted it for me but the reason the door 'broke' in the first place was because the pin holding the strap in place, sheared in half and the new check strap didn't come with a new pin.....so at the moment he's just put a nut and bolt in to hold it together - will that do or should I really get a proper pin and if so, any ideas where from....my google searches have again been futile!!!!!!

Cheers!!

Claire

Just found invoice -you need N/stk pin.door check T68617-20020.

Cost inc carriage & vat 6.68 (carriage was £3.00 + vat)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links