Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Prius V Auris

cejsmith

I'm thinking of getting a new car for my commute from Milton Keynes to uxbridge , I think a hybrid might be the way fowards as I think it will be better in the the stop start traffice of the m25/m1 in the morning than a diesel auto.

My question is this what would be better a a12 plate auris t spirit or a 10 plate Prius t spirit which will cost me about the same money.

I look fowards to hearing your thoughts.

I would think that used values of the 1st generation Auris are a bit depressed currently due to the introduction of the 2nd generation, and the 12 plate car would obviously have more warranty.

I would think that used values of the 1st generation Auris are a bit depressed currently due to the introduction of the 2nd generation, and the 12 plate car would obviously have more warranty.

Thanks for that, but I was more interested on peoples thoughts on each model and any advantages or disadvantages, we did own a prius 2 which was a nice car if a little boring and not that economical in Milton keynes driving.

Use the search facility - there is quite a bit of information on this

The following are my personal thoughts comparing a 2010 Auris to a 2010 Prius.

What does the Prius offer over the Auris?

• Boot space. The Prius has a capacious boot with a nice flat floor, as well as a ‘secret compartment’ underneath. The Auris, not being designed as a hybrid from the start, has a seriously compromised boot because of the Battery.
  • MPG tracking. Dual trip-meters mean you can track per-journey mpg as well as per-tank. This is a huge advantage for anyone serious about economy. The history graphs are also useful comparators; the 1-min tracker highlights sections of a journey which are less economical, which on a regular commute is very helpful in making adjustments to driving style on specific parts of the route. All hybrids should come with this level of information; it’s both useful and fun – the Auris really misses a trick here.
  • The HUD. When set up to show throttle position and speed, this is genuinely useful in helping to keep eyes on the road whilst maintaining speed and engine mode. As a result, it’s far easier to stay in milkfloat mode and avoid dipping into Power mode than in the Auris where you need to look down at the analogue meter.
  • Navigation as standard. This isn’t much of an advantage because, like all in-car systems, it’s !Removed!. However, if you use nav on your phone then having a zoomed-out overview on the in-car screen can be nice.
  • Driving position. The wheel can be adjusted properly; the Auris always seems to be a bit high and you then have to bump the seat up to compensate. Personal preference really though.
  • bluetooth and voice control. This works better in the Prius. It’s much easier to connect than the Auris and makes controlling a phone a lot easier.
  • Sound quality. Again this is personal but I think there is a huge difference in the sound quality of the audio system.
  • Large screen for Reverse cam. The larger screen makes it easier to see what’s going on than the tiny display in the Auris rear view. The Prius has Parking Assist which is fun but not really an advantage as it’s far slower than getting into the space yourself.

What advantages does the Auris have over the Prius?

• Interior style and build. Nice dark leather-bolstered seats and dark grey materials, instead of the grey crushed-velour monstrosities and cheap light grey plastic in the Prius. The build quality is also better than the squeaky-rattly Prius.
  • The image. It is anonymous, bland and far less likely to provoke a reaction; it doesn’t mark you out as some kind of eco-warrior. This may or may not be important to you.
  • Electric folding mirrors. Why the Prius doesn’t have these is a mystery. In my super-tight garage space they would have been really helpful to have on both cars.
  • USB compatibility. Plug in a USB stick and the Auris will just get on and play it, allowing folder and track skipping. There is no USB as standard in the Prius; for music it’s bluetooth or optical discs only. The 2012 Auris might be different, but on earlier models the optional sat-nav lost the USB capability so if that's important don't get one with nav.
  • DRLs and auto headlights. Bizarre omissions from the UK Prius, when they were available in other markets.
  • Steering wheel. The sports-style Auris wheel may be completely inappropriate but it is more comfortable than the Prius which has too many connections to the rim that leave fewer places to rest your hands.

Large screen for Reverse cam. The larger screen makes it easier to see whats going on than the tiny display in the Auris rear view.

I looked at 12 and 62 plate Aurii as they come with a large touch screen stereo which incorporates the reversing camera.... Very nice it is too.

I ended up plumping for a 62 plate just because it wasn't any extra money over the 12 plate.

Marc

Large screen for Reverse cam. The larger screen makes it easier to see whats going on than the tiny display in the Auris rear view.

I looked at 12 and 62 plate Aurii as they come with a large touch screen stereo which incorporates the reversing camera.... Very nice it is too.

I ended up plumping for a 62 plate just because it wasn't any extra money over the 12 plate.

Marc

That is one of the reasons I bought one of the many 61 reg ex-Toyota cars available which had the factory sat-nav - nice big colour screen to see behind. The reversing beep drowned out the parking sensors until I had it changed to the single beep.

Is the solar roof on the Prius worth having ?

I need to drive a auris ans see how it compares with the Prius , I took out a ct200 and found it a bit tight as I'm 6'2" and 20 stone.

Also is the facelifted version of the Prius worth the extra money?

I took out a ct200 and found it a bit tight as I'm 6'2" and 20 stone.

I think you need a Hummer not a Toyota :D: :D: :D: Sorry.............could'nt resist (says the man who eats pie) :lol:

I reckon a Prius is the better bet if you are a larger chap, probably more choice of them around too. I have had both and preferred the Prius, only for the extra space, I'm not into all the toys, the drive is great on both

Kingo :thumbsup:

I think you need a Hummer not a Toyota :D: :D: :D: Sorry.............could'nt resist (says the man who eats pie) :lol:

I reckon a Prius is the better bet if you are a larger chap, probably more choice of them around too. I have had both and preferred the Prius, only for the extra space, I'm not into all the toys, the drive is great on both

Kingo :thumbsup:

Can't say it's all from pies, there's more that a few curries as well !!!!

You need a prius+ it has more headroom and comfier seats.

I'm 6' and 17 st.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links