Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Near Side Inner Tie Rod Replacement

Azzawacker

Hi everybody I've had some problems lately with my avensis a annoying knocking noise from passenger side front suspension I was told it was the lower track control arm .i replaced this part for a brand new one with new bushings ad still the noise was there so checked the anti roll bar links and found no play so I visited my local garage and they said my inner tie rod has a bit of play and needs replacing ? So I asked for a quote and the bill has come to over £300 pound the say its a ***** of a job and needs the rack taking off the car to replace the tie rod ? Is this correct ? Is it something I can do at home ? What tools would be needed ? Any help would be great cheers Azzawacker

Can't see why the rack would need to come out. The outer steering ball joint will need splitting from the hub. The steering boot will need undoing from the rack - then the inner tie rod will be accessible. The part is relatively cheap see:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FAI-TIE-ROD-AXLE-JOINT-RC900674P-TO-FIT-TOYOTA-AVENSIS-03-OE-QUALITY-/290932317513?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Model%3AAvensis&hash=item43bceadd49

A lockable/adjustable wrench will undo it. careful measuring of the length of the tie rod will possibly avoid getting the steering reset.

Even with a steering alignment the cost is less than £50.

tools required:

socket set

large combination wrench or locking pliers

ball-joint splitter (£15)

jack

Jack-stands

Cheers mate I was told the reason the rack needs to come out is due to the tie rod is un accessible while on the car might try it myself

Your garage is trying to make an ediot out of you. I have seen videos where somebody was trying to change the cv joint on his car and instead of doing the hard way, he took out the inner tie rod. The whole job took 1 hour tops. I think gazza1286 is spot on. These mechanics will try and con anyone they can.

Regards,

Waqar

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links