Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Stick Or Twist? 4.3 - 4.4

Dippy

Had my Spanish "T180" for coming up to five years now. If it wasn't for the Internet I'd be very happy with it ;). It burned oil last year, then went for a service, at which point we found we'd completely forgotten the previous service :o. Some months later it went into limp mode on the motorway and I paid to have the clogged EGR cleaned out. Now I live in dread of a repeat scare or worse and not getting any goodwill as I missed a service.

My situation is a bit weird in that I can buy a tax free car in a country where car taxes are absolutely punitive; car prices here are double those in the UK. I expect to stay here in this job for up to 15yrs more, but I only have the right to one more tax free car (this is being checked, I might get a horrible shock if not). Originally I thought I'd have this one for 10 years and the next for ten years but I'm now getting itchy, and I am reconsidering as mine loses value and the cost to trade widens. Will deal with the future when it comes.

I look forward to the 4.4 with quieter ride (I hear?) and increased luggage space, both valuable on long family trips. I might have liked the new Lexus RAV that is rumoured but if its the NX it won't be round for a year and then it'll be 5k more at least. I also wanted the BMW engine but again that is waiting in the wings and the last I heard it will be introduced very gradually starting with the Auris.

Do I hang on a bit longer, does anyone know of big upcoming announcements, or do I quit now and get the 150 engine which has had a few years on the road and seems fine?

Thanks for your crystal balls :)

The new 4.4 is too big for me and I still can't make up my mind about the styling BUT, it is extremely well built and the cabin ambience is superb. My advice is to go and have a drive in one. The 150 engine is delightful.

• Like 1

Agreed, the 150 engine is fabulous. My understanding of things is that the Auris will get the BMW diesel engine in 2014 (source, Autocar) but there's no mention of it appearing in the Rav quite so quickly. With the 150 now so well sorted I feel it's a sidewards step using the german diesel which hasn't been without it's issues.

• Like 1

interesting comments :) as I no longer do the miles to warrant a diesel along with DNPF's, I was contemplating switching to the Auris petrol when I get to swop time (a good couple of years yet) but one thing Kingo said last year was that there "might be" a SUV, as in a smaller Rav or UC replacement to be in competition to the Juke., I must to admit I would prefer to go that route should it happen but I have seen no signs as yet that it will.

Gus

It was the MK1 three door that originally attracted me to the RAV many years ago, though I didn't ever have one. I would love to have the opportunity to have a modern version.

It was the MK1 three door that originally attracted me to the RAV many years ago, though I didn't ever have one. I would love to have the opportunity to have a modern version.

It surprised me the Urban Cruiser didn't sell in bigger numbers, particularly the 1.4 D4D with AWD, there has to be place in the market for a smaller Toyota SUV, something with an AWD option, something in the 15-18k price bracket, it amazes me how many Nissan jokes, sorry Jukes there are on the road.

It surprised me the Urban Cruiser didn't sell in bigger numbers, particularly the 1.4 D4D with AWD, there has to be place in the market for a smaller Toyota SUV, something with an AWD option, something in the 15-18k price bracket, it amazes me how many Nissan jokes, sorry Jukes there are on the road.

I agree about the Joke; it's not my cuppa, especially as Nissan have buggered up the reliability of all their range by incorporating Regie bits. Nevertheless, the edgy design appeals to the young 'uns (both in age & attitude) and that's probably why they sell so well.

What does surprise me though is the success of the CrashCow. To me it has taken over from the Volvos of the '80's - absolutely no style IMHO and usually driven by deaf, blind morons, judging by the number of near-SMIDSY's I've had with them on the bike.

I don't usually argue with anyone else's choice of "best car ever" but I make an exception when it comes to that particular piece of sh0ite.

Re the UC, did you ever take a good look at one? It was not in the least inspiring insofar as the exterior design was dull (very square and featureless), the finish inside was, to me anyway, 1960's East German and for a car that aspired to have urban credentials, it omitted an autobox option. If it had had a slushbox, my wife would have had one straight away - she doesn't do car design, it's just transport. Again bearing in mind it's Urban aspirations, the colour chart was obviously developed by a blind man.

It may have had many redeeming features but Toyota managed to hide them away very effectively. I'm surprised that they sold any at all.

I ran a 1.33 UC for quite some time and loved it. Drive like it was on rails (2WD version) although it needed a bit more poke

The replacement (whatever it will be) is some time away yet, probably 2015

Kingo :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I own both a 150 and a T180.

The 150 is a nice engine but can never match the torque or smooth power delivery of a chipped 180.

When I have the choice I always jump into the 180.

It's a real shame it is dogged by the well documented engine issues.

Otherwise it would be a real gem of a car.

I don't lose any sleep over the engine issues, if and when it goes pop I'll just have to deal with it.

So far touch wood its showing no symptoms.

Until then I'll just enjoy driving it,and keep everything crossed.

I can see the OP's dilemma,it's a tricky call.

Like Voyager above I have a T180.. My one has had the engine changed and is bang on now but I am currently looking to change to one of the last of the old model SR cars as I just cant take to the new model...

Power..... Well the T180 for the type of car it is is very quick and like Pauls it has the Lindop chip which gives it awesome torque at all revs.... But the reality of modern driving is half the time if not more this excess of power is not needed... I have driven a couple of the late SRs with the 150 engine and while in comparison it lacks real guts its got plenty.. If I were thinking of towing a heavy caravan (Im not) then I think a manual T180 would be the pick of the Rav4 range old or new..

I think I will have no problems at all stepping from the chipped T180 into the 150 Automatic SR....... For every day driving on todays roads and conditions the SR Rav with a nice lazy auto box takes some beating...

Plus if your car has not had its engine changed this must surely be factored into the equation ?

Thats a twist then ...

• Like 1

I quite like the proportions of the Cashcow. The RAV has gone a bit too big for my liking so a 4WD to fill that (cashcow) size is what might lure me into a replacement. I have to say that I really love that SR so changing it is not on the cards.

Don, the new Kia soul was launched at Frankfurt, now we know that hits a soft spot for you :)

Gus

They may one day merge the Kia Rio with The Kia Soul........the Kia R-Soul.......?

• Like 2

Just seen a Hyundai ix35 in our car park, never saw one before.

Thanks all. If I get permission to buy it, I'll have to go and drive one. The size and styling are no problem for me.

I will be a bit sad to lose 27bhp (though I remember when they did this, they kept torque at the same figure? How does that feel when one is driving then?). Assuming there will be warranty issues, I don't think I can fit a Lindop chip.

A friend has a Hyundai '35 Premium of the first variety (facelift just launched), and the standard of finish is superb. I think Toyota very quickly followed them to market with the 5 year warranty. If larger is how you fancy going, the Rav is the wan.

• Like 1

I can identify with this dilemma. My SR180 is running beautifully at four and a half years old and 55k miles. It's all original complete with BSR run-flats and pink wire intact. It's unchipped but can still make me smile when I put my foot down (which isn't really that often TBH). There's not a hint of impending engine problems - whether that's because it's late enough to have been 'fixed' from the outset, because I do a significant proportion of long distance motorway mileage or because I've just been lucky to-date I haven't a clue (it runs predominantly of good quality supermarket fuel! :)). I bought it because the 4.3 looked the part, was the right size (the three-door would never have been any use to me) and it felt exactly right on a test drive.

But it's time to at least think seriously about a change and I can't simply buy "the same again". I fancy an auto for those occasions when we're in a jam and there's lots of gear-changing to do but I don't want to pay too much of a performance penalty, and I'd really like position memory on the driver's seat (which wasn't and isn't available on a UK RAV).

The 4.4 is bigger than I need and slower than I want, isn't really differentiated from any of it's competitors in the current family oriented SUV market (they really ought to brand them as FUVs these days), and comes no more than third best to them in any of the 'objective' road tests. And yet ...

... 4.4 test drive booked for Saturday morning. :)

[on a manual - local dealer can't manage to provide an auto for a test drive ... but that's an entirely different grouse ...]

Having never owned a 180, I grew up on a 136 then a 150 Rav but I must say I still have a wry smile on my face when I put the fuel consumption through the floor ( I mean give it a bit of welly), but with all the filters/cats/dogs/rabbits, the premium for diesel these days plus my much reduced mileage I will find it hard to justify a diesel of any sort when it comes to the next change, I agree with you about an auto though I seem to be spending more times in queues than is good for me.

Gus

I quite like the proportions of the Cashcow. The RAV has gone a bit too big for my liking so a 4WD to fill that (cashcow) size is what might lure me into a replacement. I have to say that I really love that SR so changing it is not on the cards.

If size is the issue, Don, have a look at the Audi Q3. Lovely build, a bit boring outside, good mpg and a nice DSG autobox. Absolutely dinky inside though - good if you have claustrophobic in-laws, one journey in this will see them in the funny farm for life!

My daughter abandoned Toyota for one of these 6 months ago and she loves it, but mainly because it's metallic white.............

Gusterz min.......ma car will be wan whole year old in October and will not even have burst 7k miles, so why have ah got a diesel...?

Coz that is what I want, and would find having to rev a non turbocated petrol engine to death to get anywhere near the diesel grunt does not appeal.

Philip min........find a dealer with a nottymatic Rav you can try.....select manual mode and press Sport button. Report back on very slight perceived difference between 180 (loved my chipped wan) and the FIXED 150 engine. Remember......mine was a chipped 180, and I am pleasantly surprised the performance grin has not gone entirely. You will be astoundified. Mainly to see if I can eek out a wee bit better WINTER mileage, I will be doing my sums on Kingo Chippo shortly........Kingo....permission to pester me granted.

As far as running a 180 on supermarket pish.......me and Charlie away for a lie down ffs........

Big Kev.

Kev,

I put the bit about supermarket fuel in specifically to 'vexificate' its detractors ... :) More seriously though, I'll concede that the RAV runs more sweetly on posh diesel, but can't detect any difference between supermarket fuel and regular branded diesel - the roughest it's ever run was on BP regular (when I popped in to buy posh and that only had regular). Fuel consumption is far more dependent on driving style than what I put in it, and I suspect / believe that duty cycle is more important to the wellbeing of the engine than fuel additives.

Anyway why shouldn't a 2009 SR180 engine have been built fixed? If Mr T can supply Charlie a fixed engine for his T180 why couldn't he have been building them that way in the first place once he knew what was broke? [Rhetorical question since I don't think we have any way of finding the answer.]

And on 'nottymatics' if I like the manual 4.4 when I test drive it, I'll probably buy a nottymatic 'sight unseen' on your recommendation (oh the responsibility) ... together with the other positive reports from the forum. :D

I will be doing my sums on Kingo Chippo shortly........Kingo....permission to pester me granted.

Big Kev.

Be prepared for good news Big_Boy ;)

have a look at the Audi Q3

I like that very pale blue but the chances of me owning an Audi are considerably worse than remote!

Aw c'mon John.....ye cannae give me wan for nowt after all them begging letters from Webblers in That Edinburgh.......?

In fact....last ah heard he was off in Rav to That Portugal.....come in Webz min....did yer wipers wear oot on the journey.....?

If it helps, I love my "nottymatic". Sport mode works very well. Hope you enjoy your test drive Phillip.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links