Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Stick Or Twist? 4.3 - 4.4

Dippy

I haven't driven a new 4.4 yet.. I actually like the thought of the Rav being bigger I seem to have my one loaded to the max at times lately so more space could just come in handy.. Plus after driving Transit vans for donkeys years the extra size would go unnoticed I think..

One of my reasons for trying to find a very late SR 4.3 was that the new car is simply not worth the extra premium over the 4.3... But has anyone noticed that Toyota dealers nationwide are discounting the cars to cost ? Sort of negates the saving a wee bit as the best of the last 4.3 SRs are demanding heavy money and selling. I know this as the 3 cars that I've phoned about over the last few weeks have all sold.

I do like the full leather seats in the Invincible as well !!!

Whereas I couldn't see the point of replacing an older 4.3 with a new 4.3 :)

If it were short term and I was feeling extravagant I'd stump the extra 5k for an X3, but if I have to keep this for 10 yrs I won't trust their reliability. Similar for a Q5, audi reliability scores are barely above JLR products! I know it's ironic as I'm selling this due to an engine scare but at least Toyota extended goodwill to 7 years, many others have not.

Got a first price quote today but I'm sure they made a mistake, it was way too high.

Hoovie I got these and am happy http://www.amazon.co.uk/Procure-Direct-Ltd-G9-Lumen-Halogen/dp/B00C27KUCM/ref=sr_1_2?s=lighting&ie=UTF8&qid=1379533456&sr=1-2

Why not replace a 4.3 with a 4.3 ????

If an owner is happy then a later lower mileage car is a logical thing to do ? In my case I would like an automatic so that's reason enough ......

Whereas I couldn't see the point of replacing an older 4.3 with a new 4.3 :)

If it were short term and I was feeling extravagant I'd stump the extra 5k for an X3, but if I have to keep this for 10 yrs I won't trust their reliability. Similar for a Q5, audi reliability scores are barely above JLR products! I know it's ironic as I'm selling this due to an engine scare but at least Toyota extended goodwill to 7 years, many others have not.

Got a first price quote today but I'm sure they made a mistake, it was way too high.

Hoovie I got these and am happy http://www.amazon.co.uk/Procure-Direct-Ltd-G9-Lumen-Halogen/dp/B00C27KUCM/ref=sr_1_2?s=lighting&ie=UTF8&qid=1379533456&sr=1-2

There are quite a few who changed their 4.3 for anurra 4.3, and as Charlie says, some are automaticals. Most importantly, all the previous pish was and has been fixed.........stunning cars. Now, engine apart, the 4.4 has a few changes........hope they got it right, and I would deffo have one.

Kev,

I put the bit about supermarket fuel in specifically to 'vexificate' its detractors ... :) More seriously though, I'll concede that the RAV runs more sweetly on posh diesel, but can't detect any difference between supermarket fuel and regular branded diesel - the roughest it's ever run was on BP regular (when I popped in to buy posh and that only had regular). Fuel consumption is far more dependent on driving style than what I put in it, and I suspect / believe that duty cycle is more important to the wellbeing of the engine than fuel additives.

Anyway why shouldn't a 2009 SR180 engine have been built fixed? If Mr T can supply Charlie a fixed engine for his T180 why couldn't he have been building them that way in the first place once he knew what was broke? [Rhetorical question since I don't think we have any way of finding the answer.]

And on 'nottymatics' if I like the manual 4.4 when I test drive it, I'll probably buy a nottymatic 'sight unseen' on your recommendation (oh the responsibility) ... together with the other positive reports from the forum. :D

Would dearly love to see innards of yer EGR valve, Philip......premature diamonds......? Have ye ever removed it.....?

I couldn't see the point FOR ME to change 4.3-4.3 :)

Other people have different needs and tastes. I have trouble articulating my own without trying to understand theirs...

• Like 1

Its only an opinion Dippy!

The changes are probably further reaching than imagined. The post 2009 RAVs also benefit from numerous suspension and steering tweeks and it does feel different, newer ABS/brake control, TRC off option, a newer bluetooth audio system with aux input (3.5mm), different airflow management underneath, a water cooled "gate valve" type EGR, revised turbochargers, follow you home headlights, park brake warning buzzer, a new instrument cluster with more warnings/comprehensive display, a new heater control with revised and remapped settings (as long as the user doesn't over-ride the auto setting), a new multi function steering wheel that offers more leg room, a gear shift that is as near perfect as it's ever been and more interior noise insulation. It feels different to drive in a way that easier to experience than explain. They have even added sound deadening material around the door locks and door skins to make it sound nicer when you shut the doors.

I could go on for a while with the 150 engine. It only resembles previous variants with a new block, pistons, head and injection to name but a few. It uses virtually no oil and even struggles to turn it black between services, is quieter and the drivability is vastly improved. It won't go quite like a 180 but the usable torque is much more practical without the need to cane it or find a sweet spot.

If you like the 4.3 shape and proportions you should at least try a drive in one.

• Like 2

Very comprehensive and compelling points there Don.

Your going to get head hunted if RRG see that post -;)

Hi All,

Just to add my opinion to the 4.3/4.4 debate, loved and had no problems with my previous XT5 4.3, but we were in a financial position to be able to change.

When the 4.4 came out we went for a test drive hoping we wouldn't like it.

We loved it !!!!!!!!!!!

Looks, are of course, a matter of opinion, but the drive and improvements were astounding, (again, IMO)

Don't regret for one second on our decision to replace.

The 4.4s are put together extremely well. All the ones I've been in have no rattles or squeaks whatsoever. I have to say my late model 4.3 has lots of creaks and ticks.

Aha! So that's why my car doesn't have an aux input - too early!

Thanks for all the info anchorman, they've certainly changed it then.

Nevertheless, I suspect with the way my pricing works, it will cost me 12k euros to get a late 4.3 or 13k euros to get a 4.4.

Still, great to hear everyone's opinions :)

I have to say my late model has lots of creaks and ticks.

Sounds like my old springer spaniel.

Frontline sorts it out -;)

My old 2006 car has had quite a few ticks and squeaks the worst being the drivers seat with which in a fit if exasperation I replaced .. All is quiet now but it's taken some time and effort to get it that way !!

It's nice to know the new car comes without them !

So far, mine quite quiet........I am a self diagnosed noise intolerant, so if I don't here ticks, there are none.

Wouldnae tell Anchorhim anyway.........dashboard would be in ma front room in the blink of an eye......

Ours gets a weird rattle at the back but only when it rains. Can't figure it out and neither can Mr. T.

Otherwise, it's blissfully quiet and rattle-free.

Well, we've done it ! and ordered a 4.4, I wasn't star struck when i first saw the new model in March, however they drive very well and i wouldn't know what else to buy in the sector, this will be our 6th consecutive Rav, obviously the reliability and customer service sell themselves ! Looking forward to taking delivery shortly, we've opted for a manual Invincible in pearlescent white.

• Like 1

Sounds awesome Paul.. I just love the white ! Will look forward to the pictures ..

• Like 1

Sounds awesome Paul.. I just love the white ! Will look forward to the pictures ..

It's a very nice colour and hopefully pretty easy to keep clean, I really like the vermillion red but my OCD would drive me insane keeping something that colour clean, our decuma grey yaris is bad enough, after three consecutive tyrol silvers it will make a change.

Much healthy bits to enjoy be upon thee, Paul.......Decuma Grey one overtook me today.....awfy nice.

• Like 1

We chose a white after having 5 black cars.

Don't get me wrong, black looks awesome when first washed, IMO nothing comes close for the first 24 hrs, but after that it looks like it needs washing again, let alone showing up the swirls etc.

White, to us, was a big gamble.

Well, absolutely blown away with post-washed results.

Would now think about white every time. Looks fantastic when first washed, and still so a week later.

• Like 1

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that white is one of the easiest colours to look clean for longer.. I too love black and I love the very dark "Mica blue" on my car but they are very high maintenance colours.....

Twist ... :)

.........like we did last summer.....?

• Like 1

Well, we've done it ! and ordered a 4.4, I wasn't star struck when i first saw the new model in March, however they drive very well and i wouldn't know what else to buy in the sector,

Excellent choice Paul, if they drive as good as they look its a winner, bigger than the last model and has lost that Toynka car look to look more like a proper 4x4 :) :) :)

Twist ... :)

.........like we did last summer.....?

Rather more like denshaw done ...

... I wasn't star struck when i first saw the new model in March, however they drive very well and i wouldn't know what else to buy in the sector ...

... though mine will be an Icon nottymatic in decuma grey.

It drives very much like a grown-up RAV - noticeably not as quick as my SR180 but not exactly slow either (the demonstrator was a manual) and similar enough that I didn't need to think to drive it (it's just a RAV). But while the SR180 is a cross between a yappy puppy and a Tonka toy and a civilised 'off-roader', the 4.4 feels more like a rugged car (that isn't really meant to be take off-road) and it's just a shade smoother and more refined - actually not as much as I expected. Anyway, I like it enough to buy one, the deal was doable, and it's due to arrive by 7th October ... :D

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links