Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New (To Me) 04 Avensis T3-S

NMB12

Hi all, have just picked up a 2004 Avensis Estate T3-S 1.8vvti with 78,000 miles, FSH, immaculate inside and out for a 9 year old car. Thoroughly impressed so far, averaging 45mpg.

What I'm wondering about is whether the T3-S has the wiring etc for stuff like heated mirrors, auto dimming mirror and whether the cost of their install in terms of labour and money are actually worthwhile?

Are there any "must have" modifications you folks have done?

Also what's the best option for adding bluetooth and iPod connectivity in conjunction with the OEM headunit and tns300 nav unit? Is it the xcarlink one?

Would love to know your thoughts

Thanks

Neil

Ah and I'm also chasing a parcel shelf/luggage cover in black if anyone has one available. Thanks. Neil

Notoriously high users are they? Thanks for the heads up.

There was a problem with some 1.8vvti engines from when it was introduced until Toyota rectified it around mid 05 (all models with with 1.8vvti, not just the Avensis). Not all engines were affected. Basically the pistons can get too hot and burnt oil crystalises on the bottom of the pistons thus making them off balance, thus excessively wearing the engine bores. I believe the early symptoms are using a lot of engine oil, later symptoms are rattling when cold, and the only cure is a new short motor/engine. Perhaps those cars which do a lot of high speed motorway miles were more prone due to the oil not cooling quick enough? Toyota's half hearted cure was to fit a longer dipstick and therefore give the sump more oil. The engine internals were later redesigned.

There's plenty about it on here and elsewhere, but there's also plenty cars without the problem too. Enjoy your new car, hopefully it'll be trouble free for years to come :)

• Like 1

Alan is correct, ive never heard of any actually failing unless they are run dry - its not big deal if it uses a bit of oil, just keep it topped up.

Also what's the best option for adding Bluetooth and iPod connectivity in conjunction with the OEM headunit and tns300 nav unit? Is it the xcarlink one?

I've had two 1.8 vvti T25's - a T2 manual and a T3s auto. I could get over 50mpg from the manual but only about 40 from the auto. Both were great cars. The only difference I could find between them spec wise was the T2 had a height ajustable passenger seat whereas the T3s had the 90's style sat-nav, which worked ok on the few occasions I used it. I actually preferred the twin display dash setup of the non sat-nav T2, as you could have instant fuel economy and average fuel economy displayed at the same time. I considered fitting some extras initially but the car's got most things you need so I didn't bother. The headlights are pretty dire tho, so maybe consider adding front fogs. Neither of mine had them so I don't know if they make it any brighter. I fitted reverse parking sensors for £14 from eBay which worked a treat. I also fitted a basic Parrot hands free kit which fitted to the existing loom using an adapter cable and worked flawlessly. Maybe have a look for one which also does bluetooth music streaming?
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the input gents, certainly helps knowing things to look out for and getting some input, appreciate it.

Neil.

• Like 1

Hi all, have just picked up a 2004 Avensis Estate T3-S 1.8vvti with 78,000 miles, FSH, immaculate inside and out for a 9 year old car. Thoroughly impressed so far, averaging 45mpg.

What I'm wondering about is whether the T3-S has the wiring etc for stuff like heated mirrors, auto dimming mirror and whether the cost of their install in terms of labour and money are actually worthwhile?

Also what's the best option for adding Bluetooth and iPod connectivity in conjunction with the OEM headunit and tns300 nav unit? Is it the xcarlink one?

Would love to know your thoughts

Thanks

Neil

Regarding the bluetooth iPod(usb) connectivity, you are on the right track. Xcarlink does have a plug in kit that should work with your head-unit. That means you have full function and display. There are other systems on the market.

The best thing to do is search the web and look in eBay.

The options are there.

Quick question gents, is the wiring in place on a t3-s for stuff like fog lamps and power fold mirrors with it being a case of just getting the look and plugging and playing?

Thanks in advance

Neil

For the front fogs - part of the loom might be there (ie the main car loom), but the section that would go to the actual foglamps (ie around the inside of the bumper) wasn't there on mine.

Cheers Alan I thought that would most likely be the case; similar to my old MK2 Golf setup.

Shall have a trawl on eBay for lights and looms.

Neil

• 1 month later...

45mpg, really? is that figure based on an actual mathmatical calculation or just what the trip computer is reading? We have two T25 model Avensis in the household one Auto one Manual both 1.8 1ZZ-FE, 2003 vintage and neither does more than 36mpg CALCULATED but both show between 45-50mpg on the trip computer. Basically the trip computer reading on these is nonsense! as far as I can tell anyway. Not just our two either, I've done some tests on other Avensis also, all do the same. I would recommend people do actual calculations rather than believing th trip comp. For the heated mirrors I'm investigsting this also, I have the wiring diagram, if the wiring is present behind the door panel connector then it will be a case of fitting the relay, fuse and running two wires from the door panel connector up to the mirror casing (as these are not there, checked on my T3-S and compared to our other T3-X). Will also need to replace both mirror glass with heated element type.

• Like 1

Quick question gents, is the wiring in place on a t3-s for stuff like fog lamps and power fold mirrors with it being a case of just getting the look and plugging and playing?

Thanks in advance

Neil

My T3-S does have the wiring present for the front fogs, the connectors are tucked away, you'll need to poke around underneath to find them behind all the plastic undertray malarkey. Check first before spending out for a loom.

I usually fill up so that it's around 50/55 litres to fill the tank, never fully empty, reset the clock and get between 380-450 miles until the next fill up, so that's near enough 38-45mpg?

Your timing for the info on mirrors and fogs is ideal, I was planning on tackling these this weekend when I'm off so thanks!

The fog light connectors, are they the ones with brown connectors? Came across them the other day when I dropped the washer tank and pumps and thought it might be them.

Thanks bud

• Like 1

Just one more thing quickly, have I imagined seeing it, or was there (perhaps only on european sold models) a daytime running light that sits below the fog lights?

I usually fill up so that it's around 50/55 litres to fill the tank, never fully empty, reset the clock and get between 380-450 miles until the next fill up, so that's near enough 38-45mpg?

Your timing for the info on mirrors and fogs is ideal, I was planning on tackling these this weekend when I'm off so thanks!

The fog light connectors, are they the ones with brown connectors? Came across them the other day when I dropped the washer tank and pumps and thought it might be them.

Thanks bud

50ltrs / 4.55 (4.55ltrs per gallon)= 10.98 Gallons. 380miles / 10.98gal= 34.6mpg

ok so lets say you managed to get 450miles to 50ltrs (your lowest ltrs figure and highest miles figure):

450miles / 10.98gal= 40.98mpg

Although I would think you more likely achieved 450miles on 55ltrs from tests I have done.

The tests I did were consistant, ie we filled up the tank at the same garage, one click to max, zero trip, let it run down to about 50miles showing left then filled up again same garage one click to max, calculated miles done between fill ups to how many ltrs it just took to fill up again and consistantly it was 34-35mpg. We did this week after week for about 2 months. I would recommend to do the same for yourself to get an accurate measure of the mpg. When we went to the south of France last year we did manage about 400 miles between fill ups on the autoroute and even then we only managed a max of about 37/38mpg crusing along although the trip computer suggested we were getting 60mpg!

Personally from the tests I've done I think 40mpg might be achievable on simple crusing runs with the car un-laden and 34mpg around town which matches the figures you gave..........

Re fog light connectors; can't remember what colour they were, darn I was only under there last week when trying to re-fix that darn plastic that pops off and flips upside down caused by garages in the past not fixing it back correclty!

Let me know if you get the dreaded engine management light and P0420, clocks ticking on that one also...... I did find a solution which gets rid of the problem completely however the trade off is a few mpg less.......

Just one more thing quickly, have I imagined seeing it, or was there (perhaps only on european sold models) a daytime running light that sits below the fog lights?

DRL will probably only be on later models due to recent change in EU laws. Some EU countries it was a requirement for all vehicles for many years already........ Sweden being one I think. You can probably buy a retro fit DRL kit of fleabay but is it worth it? questionable........ you could just drive with your side lights on during the day...... DRL purpose is to make other road users and pedestrians aware your vehicle is an active moving vehicle during daylight hours especially if your vehicle does not make a lot of noise hence pedestrians can make out your in a 'live' vehicle........ something like that anyway ;o) although many retro fit jobs it seems are more for fashion than function........

Here's your heated mirror wiring diagram, look for the black/yellow wire in the door loom for the electric mirror connector behind the door panel, if it's there in the connector (vehicle side) then the rest of the wiring in the car should be in place, just extend this black/yellow supply wire and ground to the heated mirror element, fit the fuse and relay and that should be that.

post-128052-0-72641500-1384252386_thumb.

Ah amazing thanks for that, that's a bit clearer than the diagram I had found. I'll get stuck into that this week. Big help thanks.

Neil, not sure if you managed to have a look at your mirror stuff yet however I did some digging on my T3-S and found the wiring in the car loom is not present which means if one wants to fit the heated mirror circuit it's going to be a little more work! so far I have run in the two wires on each door into the footwell cable entry for each side on mine. I now need to wire up these to the relay/fuses and fit the heated mirror element. I dug up some more wiring info from the Avensis service manual and compiled it into a drawing as attached. The block where the FR DEICER RELAY (which powers the heater element for the mirrors) fits is a right royal pain in the backside to get at and it looks almost impossible to fit a relay here so I'm actually going to fit the relay somewhere else and fuse it. Basically I'm going to wire in the heater elements my way based on the diagram. The control for the relay will be the same source, Red/WH & Grn/WH from the rear window defog switch as this is easily accessible.

post-128052-0-66691300-1384710128_thumb.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links