Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Change Of Rear Door

flooper

Hi all,

New here as not long had a Rav 4, 5 door D4D and wanted to see if something could be done!

As I'm sure some of you know, when towing you can't open the rear door very far at all. I was wondering if anyone knew if you were able to change the rear door from a left to right opening to an up and over type opening? Or a split type back like the Range Rovers have.

Such a pain not being able to open the rear door when having a trailer on! I have a 2002 model.

Thanks in advance for any information

Phil

Anything is possible, but you're talking about a major redesign of the whole back end!

If you have 6 months and a fully loaded work shop I'm sure you'll be able to do it!

Or buy a 4.4!?

Dave

Isn't there a make of towbar that sits lower on the Rav so the rear can be opened.

I think there was a thread on here about it some time ago??

Might be worth a search if you want to change the towbar?

Isn't there a make of towbar that sits lower on the Rav so the rear can be opened.

I think there was a thread on here about it some time ago??

Might be worth a search if you want to change the towbar?

There are two types of detachable towards - one stops you opening the rear door fully when fitted, and the other is low enough to allow the door to fully open even when fitted - same as the permenant towbar.

If that is what is needed, then the brand would be Brinks (now Thule).

HOWEVER, when a trailer/caravan is hitched up, back to limited opening again and I don't think it would be possible to have the towbar low enough to have an fully opening door with a hitched trailer without being much too low for road clearance.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links