Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Another Mug With An Intermediate Shaft Steering Problem

mole147

The well known steering knocking fault has reared its ugly head on my Rav. The garage has quoted £495 and I asked if Toyota would contribute as it is a well known fault obviously from manufacture. I was told that they would not help as I did not have a full service history. When I bought the car I took out the service plan but unfortunately I have had 4 serious operations since then and getting my car serviced was not exactly top of my agenda so I missed one. As I was paying for the service plan I had no reason not to get it serviced apart from I was not well and obviously forgot. I was not notified that the car was due an annual service by the garage, I bet if I was paying for the service as it was done they would have contacted me like a shot. I spoke to Toyota customer relations and was soon given the brush off. I have tried everything with the garage and asked them to go half way as I feel it was partly their fault for not contacting me and the best they can do is £345. Does anyone think I have been hard done by or should I just accept the situation and pay it? Does anyone think they will do a recall in the future for this fault? If they did do a recall would I be entitled to get my money back?

If your attitude was a bit different I might have more sympathy but for me you started on the wrong foot with the title.

The steering knock is not a safety issue and if caught within the warranty period they will replace it. I do sympathise with you over your illness and in reality having it serviced at a dealer will not have made the slightest difference. You wouldn't get anywhere near the level of support with most brands that you do with your Toyota. I have had some success in tightening the bolt on the knuckle before now but if all else fails you can buy the part, print off the pinned instructions on this forum and get a local garage or mechanically minded person to do it in an hour.

Kingo will post one to you for about £150.

• Like 1

I suppose it ridiculous for information like the age and mileage of the car ? If its a 2006 with spaceship mileage then why complain ? If its a 60 plate and I saw a 60 plate old shape today with minimal mileage the fair dos moaning is well in order......

For what its worth my old 2006 car has had a creaking inter shaft for the last 40.000 miles and it has not got even a tiny bit worse.......

Why does having a creaky shaft make me/us mugs ???

Oh and welcome to the forum ...............................................

Sorry if I was a bit harsh with the title but I had just come off the telephone to Customer Relations and was feeling angry. My car is a 2007 XT5 with 43000 miles on the clock. I was just upset because it appeared that Toyota would have helped if the service history was complete and I really cannot see what difference that would make.

Sorry if I was a bit harsh with the title but I had just come off the telephone to Customer Relations and was feeling angry. My car is a 2007 XT5 with 43000 miles on the clock. I was just upset because it appeared that Toyota would have helped if the service history was complete and I really cannot see what difference that would make.

Welcome aboard Mr Mole :D ,

Sorry to read about your disappointment. I, like most members on the forum have found Toyota after sales second to non, in the world of car manufactures their products and customer service are right up there with the best of them.

Had your car had a comprehensive history I'm confident in saying Mr T would have made a contribution at least, a manufacture which stands by engine replacements at 80k miles plus with 100% contributions will always do right by it's customers if everything is in order at your end. Recently our December 2009 Yaris had a rear wheel bearing replaced at 61k miles, a £530.00 repair paid in full by Toyota, the car has a faultless Toyota history. That's why we have three Toyotas in the drive.

Thanks for the welcome Paul. The problem for me now is that I can never have a perfect service history because I missed one, does this mean I am excluded from any future help from Toyota. I actually like Toyotas, I also have an Auris but this experience has left me very frustrated.

I am doing some long journeys soon and I was wondering has anyone slept overnight in the back of a Rav 4 and what was it like?

Thanks for the welcome Paul. The problem for me now is that I can never have a perfect service history because I missed one, does this mean I am excluded from any future help from Toyota. I actually like Toyotas, I also have an Auris but this experience has left me very frustrated.

I am doing some long journeys soon and I was wondering has anyone slept overnight in the back of a Rav 4 and what was it like?

Firstly I cannot see how a missed service would make the slightest difference to an intermediate shaft... So why not ask to speak to a senior manager at Toyota Customer service ?

Genuinely I would not bother replacing it..... My one has been like it for an age and has got no worse and the car has flown through every MOT.....

I have done dozens of long journeys but have never slept in the car..

I had a 2hr kip in the back of mine when driving it home in Spain. All night in the UK over winter, I'd probably choose not to :). Cold...

Where are you mole?

" I am a mole and I live in a hole ......." Sounds like the script from tales of the river bank or wind in the willows whichever one ... sorry childish I know but I've had a pants day at work ..... Some light relief .

But on a serious note I had a creak when turning wheel at low speed ..parking etc coming from footwell area and local dealer diagnosed intermediate shaft and replaced under warranty made no difference ... After looking on net Tried to explain to them I thought it was some sort of washer at top of suspension leg .... But they weren't interested ..... So I just gave up in end .....needless to say I don't use dealership any more ......

Where are you mole?

Still waiting for a resolve..........

Mole__character_of_the_animals_of_farthi

• Like 1

What is the exact registration date of your car as there is a 5yr/60000mile warranty extension for a knocking intermediate shaft ( not a day or mile longer and only if your car was built before the "fix" date ) if your car fits within these perimeters then ask your dealer to submit a "prior approval".

PM your chassis and I will try and check if your car can have a claim.

• Like 2

DA - Is that in addition to the 3 year warranty or from date of registration?

Must it have a full dealer service history given the nature of the fault?

Even Charlie might qualify if it covers 8 years.

As far as im aware it is 5 year 60k from new not an extra 5 years

Alex

In the end I decided to get it done. I must say the dealer was extremely helpful and did for £343. The knocking has now gone. I live in Surrey but I am moving to Norfolk in a couple of weeks. I thought I would get the cars serviced before I went but they are reporting that the brake pads have 70% wear. Where is the best place to get the pads done or should I buy them and try to do them myself.

It's good to hear the knocking has gone. Pad replacement is very straight forward if you're a competent D.I.Y man, having said that brakes are very much safety related so if in doubt leave well alone. Here is a front pad replacement guide, the rears are very similar unless your getting involved with the handbrake which I doubt as Mr T would have reported it on service. You have a good amount of usable pad left yet, when you do replace them avoid the cheaper less well known brands, I'm a believer in original equipment wherever possible.

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/86266-maintenanceimprovement-tips-42/

In the end I decided to get it done. I must say the dealer was extremely helpful and did for £343. The knocking has now gone. I live in Surrey but I am moving to Norfolk in a couple of weeks. I thought I would get the cars serviced before I went but they are reporting that the brake pads have 70% wear. Where is the best place to get the pads done or should I buy them and try to do them myself.

So the pads have 30% left on them then...................

You can sometimes get it with WD40 jiz.

Don , where exactly is the said washer and what does it do .... From what I remember when I was looking for the creaking cause the first time it was to do with the front suspension assy ... But I can't remember where I got the info from ......?

The creaking comes from surface to surface contact at the top of the Macpherson strut - just two flat surfaces rubbing together. If you jack the vehicle up under the subframe so the suspension hangs and give it a good dowsing with WD40 you can stop it for a period of time.

This only applies to a creaking noise that is heard mainly at low speed as if you are turning out of a junction.

The mod consists of a very thin nylon washer that acts as a lubricating pad between the two surfaces. It is a cheap part but a bggr to fit as you have to pull the leg apart and with it being a big spring you need pukka compressors to do it safely.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links