Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tuning Box Question

steve_lj

Just after some advice please.

Looking to get a tuning box for my 2.0 D-4D and am wondering about the differences in the ones available. Is it a case of "getting what you pay for for" or do the cheaper options do the same job ?

I dont mean the 10 bob jobs on eBay but looking around I could pay anything from £90 to £360.

I've looked at the one Kingo sells and also these on eBay :-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-Hilux-Land-Cruiser-RAV4-2-0-2-2-2-5-3-0-4-5V8-D-4D-Diesel-Chip-Tuning-Box-/171136430023?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Model%3ARAV+4&hash=item27d886afc7

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-RAV4-D-4D-Performance-Tuning-Chip-Box-/400378780636?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Model%3ARAV+4&hash=item5d386f5bdc

There must be some difference - but what ?????

Steve

Just after some advice please.

Looking to get a tuning box for my 2.0 D-4D and am wondering about the differences in the ones available. Is it a case of "getting what you pay for for" or do the cheaper options do the same job ?

I dont mean the 10 bob jobs on ebay but looking around I could pay anything from £90 to £360.

I've looked at the one Kingo sells and also these on ebay :-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-Hilux-Land-Cruiser-RAV4-2-0-2-2-2-5-3-0-4-5V8-D-4D-Diesel-Chip-Tuning-Box-/171136430023?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Model:RAV+4&hash=item27d886afc7

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-RAV4-D-4D-Performance-Tuning-Chip-Box-/400378780636?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Model:RAV+4&hash=item5d386f5bdc

There must be some difference - but what ?????

Steve

Hi Steve, personally I don't know but I had one from pro-bits cost £99 reduced from £200. We found it defo improved the mpg and power. It got rid of the turbo lag. I'm selling mine as we have sold the Rav if your interested, send me a pm

Take a search on the TUNIT and read the reviews! They are(In my view) the best tuning piggy-back box on the market! Expensive new at £489!!! But a great deal used on eBay for around the £70-£150 mark. I've got one on my T-180 and never had a problem with it! Also one on a VW...🚀🚙💨

Thanks for the replys.

Alex - what year was the Rav you used the tuning box on ?? If its a 4.2 then it may fit depending on if its a 3 pin or a 6 pin connector. If its a later 4.3 then I'm not sure if it would fit. Maybe you can clarify - just going on what I have read up to now.

Cheers

Steve

Hi Steve it was on our 4.3 2007, I'm sure it will fit yours but just check. The tuning box has 3 pins so you can look at your pressure sensor and see how many pins you have, cheers Alex

Any tuning box with one connection (fuel pressure) should be avoided

You should be choosing a multi channel digital kit, and thats why they are expensive, try comparing a ZX Spectrum to a modern PC

Modern engines need the fuel pressure AND boost pressures adjusting, otherwise you just overfuel and cause long term issues with injectors / DPF etc, they might work, but long term they cause damage

Kingo :thumbsup:

Thanks Kingo - I was sure there had to be a fundamental difference to justify the extra cost. Just had a look at the ones you have for sale - and had a quick peek under the engine cover too ( looks pretty tight to get at the sensor at the end of the rail ). What is cost of having one fitted ?

thanks

Steve

£50 to fit

Thats a lot of pies !!!

Thanks Kingo - I was sure there had to be a fundamental difference to justify the extra cost. Just had a look at the ones you have for sale - and had a quick peek under the engine cover too ( looks pretty tight to get at the sensor at the end of the rail ). What is cost of having one fitted ?

thanks

Steve

I am a total buttock, Steve, and I can fit it.........if you insist I will do it a pound less than Kingo's quote, but the fuel from That Merseyside may be a deal breaker.......?

Wassat.....? Paul Gascoigne's jersey......?

• Like 1

I have Kingo's chip on my T180, courtesy of BK,and can honestly say its the dogs doodah's.

Took me 15 mins to fit.

Dont know if its me being a thicko then - but when I took the cover up it looked like a right fiddle to get to the sensor at the end of the rail. ( its a 4.2 not a 4.3 ) dont know if its any easier on the 4.3 ???

Its a tightish fit, but quite do-able

If I can manage it then i'm gonna have a go at wallpapering the landing through the letterbox !!!!!!!

If I can manage it then i'm gonna have a go at wallpapering the landing through the letterbox !!!!!!!

Aha.......a gynaecologist, eh......?

I have a chip supplied by Kingo, I have not noticed any fuel benefits, but definitely more power especially with the caravan in tow. A couple of hills towing were 2nd gear now third and changed up to 4th much earlier. Fitting was simple (Kingo :blushing: )

Fully recommended. Hope this helps your decision.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links