Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Difference In Value With Or Without Service History.

Colspur66

Quite random I know, but I have recently bought a 56 plate T180. The dealer stated in advert 'full service history' but has failed to provide the service books or any other proof. Does anyone have an idea what the difference in value would be with or without history?

The car is a November 06 T180 5 door hatchback with 95000 miles on the clock.

A difficult one to answer really. I find it doesn't make much difference to the price of a car, but rather adds to it's desirability. For example I wouldn't buy a two year old car with no proof of service history (since the first couple are usually done by main dealers, and the one owner hasn't really had the chance to lose it yet), but I would buy an older car with no history...as long as I could tell it had been well maintained.

I'd say you have a good case for trading standards if you can be bothered. The car should be as advertised so if it said FSH then it should have FSH. If you wouldn't have bought the car if it didn't have FSH there's a chance you could be eligible for compensation or return it for a full refund. Start with a phone call to trading standards (it's not actually them you contact, it's some other government body on their behalf) and see what they advise. That's the way I'd go if the dealer was giving me the runaround, and I could be bothered.

I'm sure you're aware that the 2.2 diesel has a higher risk of cylinder head problems which Toyota extended the warranty to, I believe, 7 years or 100k miles, as long as it had a full Toyota service history. However yours is beyond the time so wouldn't be eligible anyway. There's plenty info on here and elsewhere about it, and it's everything with the same 2.2 oil burner including Lexus. Maybe given that info you deffo wouldn't have bought it without fDsh, which would give you more ammo against the dealer?

• Like 1

I take it that its not from a main dealer? From what you have said about the reg date you only have just over a month for the extended good will warranty from Toyota to apply if the service history is found.

You could call your local main dealer to see they can trace any history or even if it has had an engine change

Alex

Duplicate service handbooks can be supplied and re-stamped for the cost of the document itself - about £10. I got a replacement recently and the dealer was also able to confirm the type of service given and other work carried out at the dealership. The name of the original dealer will probably be the one quoted on the number plates. If that can't be verified challenge the garage who sold the vehicle to substantiate their claim. Was it a Toyota garage?

If you are planning to hang onto the car for a couple of years it will be nearly 10 years old when you sell it with a mileage well in excess of 100k. The value as a trade-in won't be greatly altered with or without a service history by then.

• Like 1

Thanks for advice guys. I will first try to see if my local dealer can trace any records for me then decide if its worth chasing for compensation. The car didn't come from a Toyota dealer, just a used car dealer who speciallises in mainly prestige and 4x4 vehicles. The car does appear to be very well maintained, it drives really smoothly and everything still feels tight, no wobbly steering or squidgy brake pedals, acceleration is good and the car is very clean both bodywork and engine bay.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links