Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mk1 Avensis Headlamp Adjustment Problem

Ajay84

Hello guys,

its my 1st post here so if its a repost then I am sorry. I have done some research already but cant find any answers..

car: avensis 2.0 vvti sr (saloon) mk1 52 reg

so here is my problem:

I had HID kit installed in may 2013 and then got headlamps adjusted from our local mot station. they were perfect until now when I had to replace a fused bulb. now driver's side headlamp is too high (even if I put it on 5 - the lowest setting on adjustor motor).

went back to the same mot station to get them re-adjusted and they turned around and said my headlamp need replacing as its no good!! apparently the grooves in the screws are free?

they quoted to change the whole headlamp unit + labour + vat.

but I am not too sure as it was perfectly fine in may and since then its never been used until today...so need your help guys...am I ok to change the whole headlamp or is there any other way of adjusting the headlamp, or if those 'screws' can be replaced etc

any advice/help is much appreciated

thanks

Something does not add up.

Going by what you have said I think the the threads on the head lamp adjustment are damaged - the only people to touch the headlight is the garage.

Another thought is the bulb is not seated and orientated correctly, and in trying to adjust the headlight wound the adjuster too far.

What you need to do is get another opinion from someone recommended, who knows what they should be doing. No disrespect to the MOT garage you took it to, but once the basic setup has been done, only fine tuning should be needed.

There is another point. If a bulb out of tolerance throwing light differently?

If the headlamp unit is broken, try eBay or breakers to save money.

I will not make any comment about changing the type of bulb you are using since you have taken it to an MOT station!

Konrad

Hi Konrad,

Thanks a lot for the quick and informative reply.

Today I came home early and tried to see the problem myself and noted that you are right, threads on one of the head lamp adjusters (there are two on each head lamp) are damaged. The second adjuster is moving but is free and is not adjusting the lamp. I suspect it was damaged in may when they adjusted my lights first time. and this time they are just trying to cover up and charge for new unit, labour and vat.

I have checked the bulb position thoroughly and it seems fine and is in line with the passenger side unit.

if I adjust these lamps with the headlamp adjuster inside the car (electrically), both sides go up and down. but that leaves me with passenger side too low for an empty car and driver's side comes to slightly above the normal position.

I made few calls to local breakers and enquired about a used unit, they are going for around £50 fitted.

I have tomorrow and day after tomorrow off so will try to open the unit and see if I can adjust it manually (from behind the unit/bulb holder) or if there is any other way of bringing the light focus down a bit. Last point of call is getting another unit fitted for £50!

I have already removed three top screws from the headlamp - two on top and one under the plastic cover holding the mesh grill. but light seems stuck as if there are few more screws holding it. Do you know how to take it off or even loosen it a bit to tilt it forward and inspect from behind please.

Many Thanks for your help

Regards

Ajay

Hi Ajay

Remove the indicator by releasing the a tang with a screw driver, through the top. The grill is one screw at the top. With the screw removed, pull the grill forward to release the clips. You should see any screws holding the headlamp.

The price quoted by the scrap is not too bad until you see these links:

Euro car part brand new headlamp for £43.

http://www.eurocarparts.com/headlight

The the eBay link: http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2046448.m570.l1313.TR7.TRC0.A0.Xavensis+2000+headlamp&_nkw=avensis+2000+headlamp&_sacat=0&_from=R40

I know what I would do and it won't involve breakers yard unless it cost about £25.

Konrad

Hi Konrad

thanks for the info and links.

will check them out.

i will try to take out the unit in the morning and try to manually adjust its angle and if no luck then probably get a new one rather than used.

will update again tomorrow on how things going

thanks a lot

regards

ajay

• Like 1

Hi Konrad

I just wanted to update you on my problem.

Well i couldnt take the unit out..seems like bumper need to !Removed! out first so i took the indicator unit out to see if the adjuster on that side was working or not. This was working but the one right above the main beam was broken or loose so i put my hand behind the lamp and squeezed my fingers through the wiring and managed to adjust the lamp slightly.

Took it to the same mot station to check the beam level and this time they said my car would pass mot like this. Both sides level was on the max limit allowed. So now i can drive like this and dont have to change the unit immediately. Many thanks for your info earlier. Much appreciated

Regards

Ajay

Hi Ajay

Glad you sorted out the cheapest solution - no money spent!

The moment you did the work on your own car, the garage were a little more helpful. Your not as helpless as they thought.

So long as the headlamp is now set and does not move, you should be fine.

Glad to assist.

Konrad

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links