Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Petrol Tank Vapour Emissions Circuit Fault - Error Code 443

rockerbox

Hi all -

Here to get some advice. My 2.0 VVTI year 2000 1AZ FSE avensis hatchback shows the engine symbol in the inst binnacle. Diagnosis reveals error code 443 - 'evaporative emissions system vacuum purge valve wiring fault'. The valve - a small solenoid type - is mounted on the air filter housing in the engine bay and connects the tank vapour emissions line (vent) to the inlet manifold. According to the Haynes manual it apparently opens at an engine temperature above 35C when engine load conditions are appropriate - under acceleration I suspect.

The valve works as it should - opens and closes on a bench test using a 9V Battery source - the coil resistance seems fine at 32 ohms.

However - the solenoid connector plug from the wiring loom and presumably from the ECU was faulty - one of the two wires was partially severed at the plug causing an intermittent contact. As a short term fix I soldered the connection and reconnected it to the valve. But the engine light still persists. There is 12V at the plug, but the solenoid doesn't energise - thinking the connector itself was faulty I hooked up two jumper wires between the connector and the solenoid valve - but it still wouldn't operate. I haven't yet checked the current flow - but am a little perplexed that there is voltage present even when the engine is cold. The same issues are there when the engine is hot - the solenoid valve is inoperative.

The car runs fine but after a while starts to miss - suspect that as the solenoid valve cannot now vent the tank - a vacuum is created in the tank which holds back the fuel flow - but I'm just guessing here.

Don't want to get into the high costs of at a toyota dealer if I can avoid it. Any thoughts on what could be wrong would be be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links