Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2013 Hybrid: Transmission B-Setting

MisterDaan

Hello everybody,

About two months ago, the company I work for bought a new 2013 Auris Hybrid and decided to let me drive it. Happy me. It's a Hybrid, Lease Pro model, very proud of it. I guess the Lease Pro is a Dutch-only version of the Hybrid, it is a full-option (including steering bi-xenon headlights and automatic high beam, I wonder if they sell those in het UK?). Again, happy me.

Now, I have this question for a while now: I've noticed the B-setting on the automatic transmission, and read in the manual it is supposed to be used in for example driving in a mountain enviroment. Well, in Holland we don't have any mountains so now I sometimes use it when I let go of the accelerator when I see the traffic lights turn red in the distance. The single transmission gearbox lets you 'roll' very long when you don't push the accelerator and when I use the B-setting, I won't wear the brakes and my Battery charges a little bit quicker.

At least, I think.

My question: do you think it is bad to use the B-setting to decelerate without using the brakes ones in a while?

post-135404-0-00363100-1383082129_thumb.

I think for you there is little to no reason to use the B-mode.

It can charge the Battery faster in some circumstances, but usually you can charge it at that rate in the normal driving modes.

The B-mode is designed to soak up as much momentum as it can (Some dumped into the Battery, the rest wasted in the petrol engine) so that you don't fry the friction brakes on long downhill descents, but that's the only real use for it...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links