Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Open Window Noise?

geo13647

Hi all, my car was in the dealers for a duff battery- see 'Battery was discharged!' Thread.

When I was talking to the service manager, we got to discussing the 'Open Window' issue,

where there is the whistling sound just exactly like the driver's window is open a crack.

This seems to happen around 60mph, and is more noticeable on a windy day.

He found out after about 4 weeks of trial & error, that it is due to the radio antenna.

The Auris in the Uk is fitted with DAB, so the antenna is quite long, and is helical wound,

With a loading coil about 2cm from the top. This resonates quite nicely, making a whistling sound,

At certain speeds & under certain conditions sounds exactly like the drivers window is open a crack.

Gave me a loan of a short antenna to try it for myself.

So if you are getting that annoying whistle, try removing the antenna whip, it just unscrews.

Interested in your findings.

Regards,

G...

Hi all, my car was in the dealers for a duff battery- see 'battery was discharged!' Thread.

When I was talking to the service manager, we got to discussing the 'Open Window' issue,

where there is the whistling sound just exactly like the driver's window is open a crack.

This seems to happen around 60mph, and is more noticeable on a windy day.

He found out after about 4 weeks of trial & error, that it is due to the radio antenna.

The Auris in the Uk is fitted with DAB, so the antenna is quite long, and is helical wound,

With a loading coil about 2cm from the top. This resonates quite nicely, making a whistling sound,

At certain speeds & under certain conditions sounds exactly like the drivers window is open a crack.

Gave me a loan of a short antenna to try it for myself.

So if you are getting that annoying whistle, try removing the antenna whip, it just unscrews.

Interested in your findings.

Regards,

G...

I've also noticed this noise now and then, it usually happens when driving when there's a cross wind.

By the way, did the short antenna work okay?

Usually cars fitted with DAB have a separate aerial specifically for the DAB transmissions - and quite often DAB aerial elements are built into one of the side windows.

The helically wound aerial masts were also fitted to the last model Corolla (my 2006 Corolla had one as standard) and the first pre-facelift first generation Auris (my 2009 Auris had one) - neither of which had DAB. Our 2012 Hyundai i20 has a helically wound aerial as well - again no DAB.

DAB is standard on the Icon upwards on the 2013 Auris.

Interesting, I sometimes get a whistling noise by my right ear and put it down to the hybrid Battery vent by back seat drivers side door sucking in air to cool the Battery. I believe there is a fan that cuts in under certain conditions.

My Prius doesnt have DAB, but the antenna is a helically wound one, about 6 inches long.

Interesting, I sometimes get a whistling noise by my right ear.

Me too, and it isn't tinnitus.

Sounds like wind but there is no draft.

I sometimes get an annoying noise in the left ear when driving, usually at speed, occasionally when improving the fuel economy by getting a slipstream from the vehicle in front.

I just ask the wife to shut up.

</joke> & hope she never sees this!

• Like 2

I sometimes get an annoying noise in the left ear when driving, usually at speed, occasionally when improving the fuel economy by getting a slipstream from the vehicle in front.

I just ask the wife to shut up.

</joke> & hope she never sees this!

You're living VERY dangerously with that comment! They have their spys you know :)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links