Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Raving 4.2 Rear Door Lock Problems

jase hutch

Please can anyone help ? I have an intermittent rear door locking problem on my rav 4.2 3 door ! It happened about this time last year as well so I'm assuming it's down to the damp cold weather ! When it plays up , I lock the doors as usual using the key fob then on checking that the car doors are all locked , when I try the rear door it opens and sets off the alarm ! I've tried to find the answer by searching through previous chats but can't find anything , surely others have had the same problem !

The automatic (electric) locking is operated by an Actuator in each door. This is a small module containing a tiny d.c. motor, gears and cranks, which operates the push-pull rods connected to the door lock. 69130 (RH) and 69140 (LH) in the diagrams:

http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_E_2004_TOYOTA_RAV4_CLA21R-AWMNYW_6756.html

When you operate the remote, you should be able to hear (and feel) a definite "clunk" (lasting about 1 second) at each door. If all you hear is a slight knock, then an actuator probably isn't doing its stuff, but the supply to it is OK. Open up the door (remove lining etc) to get access, and check that it isn't simply one of the pushrods that's become displaced. (You can manually push/pull these to check the lock is OK.)

If the supply to the actuator is OK, you're looking at replacing the module. The tiny motor inside is not available as a spare part.

Chris

PS Check that the Child Lock (on the door edge) isn't on, to avoid complicating matters.

• Like 1

........and looking at the prices in Chris's attachment for replacement bits, can only hope you find a simple fault.

Originally misread your post, and having looked at avatar phoaty, wondered how yer back doors were giving you problems......on a three door Rav.......purely an age thing....nice wee car though.

• Like 1

Does that mean he may have had centrally locking AND OPENING rear windows then, Chris......? LOL

• Like 1

I am in danger of losing the plot on this one... Hope you've got the info you need, Jason. If not, shout.

• Like 1

Thanks Chris and Kev , I appreciate your comments ! On a three door rav , do you call the back door the boot then ? I'll try and have a look at it at the weekend , surely it can't be too bad as the door lock operates 99% of the time without a problem , just a bit annoying when you set the alarm off when checking the doors and the neighbours are still in bed !!!

On a previous car, the actuating rod was subject of a crude screwed rod and locknut, the latter of which loosened regularly and the rod fell down slightly, so failing to push up to unlock. Rear boot door covers it Jase.........

• Like 1

Cheers Kev , rear boot door it is then ! I'll have to tell the missus the technical terminology ! Do you know if there model of rav suffered from moisture in the back boot door harness ? ( sorry - rear boot door )

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links