Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Starting Problems With Your Diesel Rav?

ROPPA

HI ALL,THIS IS A BIT OF A LONG WINDED ONE BUT I HOPE THIS MAY HELP SOMEONE ONE DAY.

I HAVE BEEN HAVING STARTING PROBLEMS WITH MY 2005 2.0L DIESEL RAV4.

IT HAD TO BE TAKEN TO MY MECHANIC ON A LOW LOADER AS IT JUST PACKED UP WHEN MY WIFE WAS DRIVING IT AND IT WOULDN'T RESTART. MY MECHANIC HAD A LOOK AT IT (HE'S NO DIESEL EXPERT) HIS WORDS NOT MINE....SO HE HAD ANOTHER MECHANIC HAVE A LOOK AT IT AND BOTH SAID FUEL PUMP.

NOW MY MECHANIC HAD JUST DONE A SERVICE ON IT A FEW WEEKS EARLIER AND I REMEMBER HIM COMMENTING ON THE STATE OF THE FUEL FILTER BEING DIRTY AND GUMMY.

SO AFTER A LOT OF SEARCHING ON THIS SITE AND READING OF THE PROBLEMS WITH THE SCV'S (SUCTION CONTROL VALVES) AND EGR, V("exhaust gas recirculation, valve") AND ALSO ONE PERSON ACTUALLY FORKING OUT OVER A GRAND TO HAVE TOYOTA FIT A NEW FUEL PUMP AND THEN TO STILL HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM :o .

NOW.....I AM NO MECHANIC, SO I BOUGHT A WORKSHOP MANUAL FROM 'HALFRAUDS' AND HAD A LOOK AT THE FUEL SYSTEM SET UP. NOW IN THE MANUAL IT SHOWS A FUEL PUMP IN THE FUEL TANK DIAGRAMME .THERE IS NO FUEL PUMP IN THE FUEL TANK ON A RAV4 DIESEL. IT IS ONLY FITTED IN THE PETROL VERSION OF THE RAV4. WHAT I DID NOTICE ON THE DIAGRAMME WAS THAT THERE WAS A MESH FILTER ON THE SENDER UNIT SO I ASKED MY MECHANIC TO CHECK THIS OUT AND THERES NOT ONE BUT TWO MESH SCREENS FITTED AND SURE ENOUGH THEY WERE CHOKED UP WITH CRAP. ONCE CLEANED AND ALL REASSEMBLED HE GOT THE CAR STARTED. BUT WHAT HE DID SAY THOUGH WAS, HE STRUGGLED TO GET THE PRIMER TO PRESSURISE THE SYSTEM SO HE HAD TO FILL THE FUEL FILTER WITH DIESEL TO GET IT STARTED. SO I THINK THERE IS A FAULT WITH THE FUEL FILTER HOUSING (I'VE ORDERED ANONTHER ONE) OR THERE IS A NON RETURN VALVE ON THE UPTAKE SIDE OF THE FUEL SYSTEM SOMEWHERE THATS FAILING THAT NEEDS SORTING.

WE ARE THE 3rd OWNERS OF THIS CAR, SO WE DON'T KNOW WHAT THE HELL WAS PUT IN THE TANK BEFORE WE GOT IT BUT IT'S RUNNING NOW AND HOPEFULLY, FINGERS CROSSED WILL CARRY ON DOING SO.

As others (who are no longer on this site) have said If you have difficulty starting your diesel RAV . . . Change the Fuel Filter

Hi

You may not realise but CAPITALS on messages is like shouting at people...

All the best,

David

Cheers David for letting me know. I'ts the first time I've been on a forum and It's a bit of a habit I have when I'm emailing and i just leave the capslock on.

Hi Tony, as I said in the post i had just had a service done a few weeks earlier and the fuel filter was changed in with the service. I don't think anybody else has done the filter screens in the tank when they've had a problem starting thier car so i thought i would mention it.

Hi

All the best,

David

If I had trouble with my motor and cured it by finding some thing that no one else had seemingly found then I would be shouting it from the roof tops too!!

Nice one Ron

Del

Hi

All the best,

David

If I had trouble with my motor and cured it by finding some thing that no one else had seemingly found then I would be shouting it from the roof tops

Cheers David for letting me know. I'ts the first time I've been on a forum and It's a bit of a habit I have when I'm emailing and i just leave the capslock on.

Hi Tony, as I said in the post i had just had a service done a few weeks earlier and the fuel filter was changed in with the service. I don't think anybody else has done the filter screens in the tank when they've had a problem starting thier car so i thought i would mention it.

Fair enough

David

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links