Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav 4 Optifit Battery 45 Ah Size Query ?

blackbear

Hello All,

I have read through all that I can find in the forum about the Battery size for the Rav4 (1)post-71656-0-00216200-1389369946_thumb.j and the fact stated that at 45 AH it has not been fit for purpose since its inception. It has been given pros and cons all through the discussions in the forum. I have NOT found anywhere where a member has

shown a different make of Battery with a higher AH that would fit into the area that has been allotted to the original Optifit 45ah and where one would not have to make some allterations to make one fit.

The Question is : DOES anyone know of a Battery with a higher AH rating that fits into the area allotted to the original and if they do can they let me have the name etc so I can fit a battery with the higher AH.

I am restricted with the area because the engine security bars fit right up to the battery edge and do not allow any extra length to the battery I have attached a picture to give an idea as to what I am up against. Can anyone assist. Thanks again Blackbear.

That daft wee Battery was carried over to the 4.2 Rav, which has the Battery in a totally different locale (in bulkhead at windscreen) which does indeed allow the upgrading to a larger "diesel" Battery such as the Halfraud's HB017 I fitted to wife's car.

Cannot remember reading on here that same facility afforded by 4.1, but I am old and decrappit......

You have a restrictive aftermarket strut brace fitted and this limits the size of Battery that can be accommodated. Either dispense with the brace or fit a different type. To be quite honest - it's unlikely you'd even notice the absence of the brace. You can see that the stop on the Battery clamp can be moved to accommodate a wider Battery and without the brace, there's significant scope for a longer battery. There are numerous larger batteries that will fit the space available.

Thank you for the reply gjnorthall,

Can you identify any of these larger batteries that will fit the space available for me. I have tried to fit my Carina 60AH Battery and that will not touch it and it is just slightly larger than the Optifit 45AH.

As amatter of interest the sizes are length 230 x W130x 225 H. I have hunted high and low for an Optifit with an increased

Ah but to no avail so I would be grateful if you could name some of the numerous larger batteries that would fit.

Would you be good enough to explain to me what an aftermarket strut is as I bought the car with it on it so I do not know what its function is other than the obvious. Thank you Blackbear.

On a car with front McPherson struts - these are mounted at the top of suspension towers which are part of the vehicle chassis. Under heavy cornering, there is a tendency for one of the towers to flex thus slightly altering the suspension geometry. A strut brace is an aftermarket accessory which essentially ties the suspension towers to one another and thus minimises the amount of flexing. I understand that some special edition 4.1's were fitted with a brace as standard. I can think of a number of vehicles where a brace would bring benefit but a Rav4 in normal road use and in standard tune would certainly not be one of them! Dispensing with the brace (and selling it on Ebay) will make negligible difference to vehicle handling. I can't tell from the angle of the picture, but it appears that the brace is limiting the length and width of Battery that can be fitted - check first that the brace is restricting the width of Battery before removing the brace. The dimensions you specify are those of the original Battery and on the basis that all batteries of a given physical size are approximately the same capacity - if you want more capacity - the battery will need to be physically bigger. You'll need to measure the maximum length and width battery that will fit into the space - this will allow you to select an appropriate battery - there will be many to select from, particularily as the terminal orientation isn't important (the battery can be turned through 180 degrees to get the terminals on the right sides). You will notice that the front retainer on the battery clamp can be moved forward to accommodate a wider battery. If an even wider battery will fit, then dispense with the two retainers on the clamp.

Hello gjnorthall,

Thank you for taking the time to enlighten me. I will follow your instructions and see if I can achieve a bigger Battery in that small space. It will just be finding the right Battery and as you say there are hundreds of them on the market.

Thank you again I am sure others on the site will take heed of your very valued contribution. Dioc-an-fawr (sorry if I did not spell it correctly) Regards B

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links