Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Newbie Here - Hello!

rustylady

Hi there, I stumbled on this site today as I'm hopefully about to become a owner of Rav4 2002 GX D-4D. That when the person selling it gets their new car! It has some stamps in the service book, but other than that has been maintained at regular intervals. It's got 82,000 on the clock, and comes with leather seats. At a price of £2,500. Is there any troublesome things I should be looking out for, and is it a good buy?

Regards

Rustylady.

Hello Dee - welcome to Toyota Owners Club.

Thanks for the welcome guys. Sorry I didn't realise I posted in the wrong forum, sorry!

Thanks for the welcome guys. Sorry I didn't realise I posted in the wrong forum, sorry!

Although where you originally posted is just for introductions the reason I moved it is to get a better spread of expertise ( But don't tell the Rav boys I complimented them or I will never live it down :) )

Again enjoy your time here...

Welcome Dee !

Thanks for the welcome Jase.

Although where you originally posted is just for introductions the reason I moved it is to get a better spread of expertise ( But don't tell the Rav boys I complimented them or I will never live it down :) )Again enjoy your time here...
Ha! I sure I'll get all the help I need on this site. From what I've read so far you guys are a font of knowledge!

Regards

Rustylady

If it's a tidy car, decent tyre treads, MOT and with 82k on the clock - the price is very good. This is an excellent model with just a couple of niggles. The first is minor - the alloy wheels suffer from bubbling and corrosion but can be refurbished. The Dual Mass Flywheel (DMF) has a history of failure and is expensive to replace (£700+). There is a cheaper solution than direct replacement. Might be worth checking if the DMF has already failed and been replaced. There are several factors that affect DMF life and unfortunately isn't predictable (unless it's already displaying early symptoms of failure).

• Like 2

If it's a tidy car, decent tyre treads, MOT and with 82k on the clock - the price is very good. This is an excellent model with just a couple of niggles. The first is minor - the alloy wheels suffer from bubbling and corrosion but can be refurbished. The Dual Mass Flywheel (DMF) has a history of failure and is expensive to replace (£700+). There is a cheaper solution than direct replacement. Might be worth checking if the DMF has already failed and been replaced. There are several factors that affect DMF life and unfortunately isn't predictable (unless it's already displaying early symptoms of failure).

Thanks for the reply gjnorthall, I'll find out if the DMF has failed and been replaced. If not do you think this is why it's a good price?

I wouldn't know on what basis the owner set the price - it could simply be based on what he / she was offered in PX + a bit extra. If you bought the car from a dealer - you'd get a warranty but you'd pay probably another £1000+ for the privilege (and some warranties exclude the DMF on the basis of being a finite life item). As long as there aren't symptoms that the DMF is in the early stages of failure - I'd still suggest that £2500 is a good price.

Hi Rusty Lady

Welcome to the club :D

As above, I had to have my DMF replaced at approx 60'000 miles ( had the clutch replaced at same time, as using existing clutch is pointless) when its all in bits and the work is being done,put a new one in whilst they are working on it.

Mines covered 128'000 miles now,clutch still ok, drives well, you may well get another 100'000 miles out of it with regular maint, they are good vehicles , but things do ware out with time.

We have one member on here with Diesel version, who has covered 189'000 miles !.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links