Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

More Radio Worries!

Karma Supra

Well Halfords eventually called today, 2 weeks late telling me that my auto leads adapter is finally in. off I pop to collect it (half an hour away!)..

finally get it.. pay £32 for a loom half the size of the regular ones..

I hook it all up.. all the plugs fit etc and it DOESN'T <I thought I could get past the swearing filter - what a sad muppet I am eh?>IN WORK!!!!

I know the headunit and the other adapter work (sony -> ISO DIN) as they are straight out of my supra....

Has anyone here fitted a Sony headunit to an active MR2? did you have any problems??? I have a spare poineed one in the garage, I'll try that but I know sony can be funny with the wiring sometimes????

Any ideas of feedback would be very much appreciated!!!

ta :thumbsup:

Yup.

its not that there is no sound, its that there is no nothing. the headunit is totally lifeless, no power. the fuse in the back of the headunit is fine.

to make sure I was not going mad I totally removed the auto leads loom and plugged the stadnard headunit back in, that no longer workds either! I try and turn it on and the screen just flashes its lights on and off... is that something to do with the toyota "security system"??

Yeah you need to put the code in if you disconnect it.

Sounds like the leads are faulty, cos when i bought the auto leads loom

it powered up as soon as i put the ignition on.

Try switching the red and yellow lives about on the sony loom, this changes the power input from switched to permenent but im not sure which way round does what!!

Trial and error :thumbsup:

Yo blokey, I got active spkrs system in my MR2, which I at first did not know, so cut all the wires in the Toyota loom, and could only find the main power, switching and earth. The car audio shop said I needed the active spkr loom convertor, which cost 25 quid, plkugged it in and nothing. I checked the cars radio fuse, which was blown, changed it, and she was on just like that. I got an Alpine cd with pre-outs only connected to a Pioneer DSP, pre-in, and 3 pre-outs, which the cars active system was connected to no problems whatsoever. Is yor Sony brand new or has it been used before? Its either a dodgy head unit, which Sony's tend to be, or you got a duff convertor loom. And yes, the convertor is sposed to be really short.

hi mate, i just installed a Sony CDX-3300 into my active system (8-speakers) yesterday. Sony headunits are fine, its the autoleads that are *******.

For there to be power you have to plug the ariel in, dont ask why but trust me it works! (the unit is possibly grounded through the arial!?) lol

Sony units will also give a very irritating whiney noise when plugged in depending on which autoleads adaptor you use. If like me you have used PC9-411 then you will have to make a small modification to the little circuit board thats on the back of the plug. Basically you have to disconenct the black wire from Grnd and connect it to the bit where it says Front/Back Speaker Ground. This will get rid of the whiney noise forever and you dont need suppressers and what not that other people recommend. Be very careful if you do this because the RCA-board connections are VERY fragile and easily break off if you twist the wires aroudn too much.

If you have used PC9-406 then i'm not too sure but I'd imagine the same procedure.

If you want any more detailedinfo /diagrams then id be happy to help, my system is now working perfectly, all Speakers and the two subs sounding great :thumbsup:

right back after a fiddle (I'm at work lmao... hence slow progress!!!)

I used a multi meter and did a continuity test ll the wires were ok.. all was fine.. so its not the lead... finally worked out the &#33;Removed&#33; arial IS an earth!!! (cheers Deus!!!!) it no works ok with no chopping or changing. I had added my own earth to what was meant to be the earth but now its no longer needed so is un soldered :lol:

I have noticed no whining but, when you turn the ignition off with the radio playing you get this mad buzzing noise for a second... it changes tone and gets quieter, almost as if its a discharge??? Theres also a huge thud when you turn on the headunit (amps powering up??? never used to do it!!)

but I don't have an individual speaker ground wire.. justa ground for each of the 4 channels.

Any ideas??

Ta for your help.. thought I'd be able to wirea a &#33;Removed&#33; radio as I've had to rewire ECus wire by wire before :!Removed!: fun? no. :P

Doh i forgot about the ariel earth! well spotted deusmr2

Glad you got it working karma supra, theres nothing worse than no music in the

car. :thumbsup:

the grounds for all the speaker channels all meet up at the adaptor and connect to the bit on the circuit board labelled Front/Back Speaker Ground (or something like that!) the amplifier only takes one speaker ground for all four channels!, as i said before i got a whiney noise when the engine was on (but not when it was off and the key was in the ignition position) which was caused by the power steering pump. I had to connect the head unit's black ground wire to the speaker channels ground wire to eliminate it. Luckily yours doesnt seem to do that!

I havnt experienced any thuds or anything when the system comes on.... but at least the systems is working now! congrats :thumbsup:

For there to be power you have to plug the ariel in, dont ask why but trust me it works! (the unit is possibly grounded through the arial!?) lol

didnt know this about his one lads!

so basically i can't rip the %$(er out? or can i then do summin else to make it work? :unsure:

-Z

I recently had a jvc cd player put into my car (7 speaker active system) with the pc9-406, i let Halfords fit it and they had to "modify" the adapter to make it work.

Theres also a huge thud when you turn on the headunit (amps powering up??? never used to do it!!)

Mine does this, it sounds like interference with the sub, you can also hear it when you skip between tracks on the cd player! i also get a whining but only when the stereo is off and the engine is running.

:thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links