Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Michelin Or Goodyear?

chi tang

Hi guys,

What is everyone else using?

At the moment I am running 215/45 17" 4 x Michelin Primacy HP and have nothing bad to say about them rating E, A, 70db

I am however very interested in the GoodYear EffecientGrip Performance as the rating is B, A, 67Db so the fuel eco seems better and also lower noise.

Any suggestions appreciated

Chi

• Like 1

I'm still using the tyres that came with the vehicle when I brought it used so can't offer any advice based on experience. However, there's a good roundup here: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/60111/tyre-test-2012

I had heard good things about the Michelin Energy Saver+ range despite them coming last in this test group. Although I'm afraid I have no personal experience of using them.

Can't get 215 45 17s in Michelin Energy Saver+ last time I checked so I plumped for the Primacy as well about a year ago. Always had them on my cars and never had a problem.

I'd be very interested in the Goodyears mentioned, but I do wonder what kind of mileage (ie. how many miles before they wear down) I'd get out of them. Primacys do very well in this regard.

Michelin every time, best tyre on the road and i have had lots of experience with tyres. Good luck!

I have has Michelins in the past on other cars, they have always had low levels of wear but tended to be noisy, have not tested the more recent ones though.

My Avensis came with Bridgestones fitted, they were the original tyres and I had to change them at 16000 miles. They were on the noisy side. I did a test drive on another 2010 Avensis with Goodyear Excellence fitted and found them much quieter than the Bridgestones.

Have now got Goodyear Efficient Grip fitted and they are also quieter than Bridgestone but probably no as quiet as the Goodyear Excellence. Have not found any problems with them so far in the wet or dry but they have only been on a few months. I do get the feeling that they have less rolling resistance than the Bridgestone too.

Ive read reviews where ppl said they can get 15-35k miles on the good years.

What type of mileage are ppl getting with there current tyres?

• 4 weeks later...

I have a 2010 Prius, 80+k miles, which had Michelin Energy Savers tyres when I bought it. I deliberately chose a car with 15" rims for better ride.

Although I am very happy with many features on my Prius, I was close to changing cars because the road noise on any kind of poor surface made it hard to hear the radio. I tried a Lexus 200, which felt all together more solid, but they have stupidly opted for 17" rims to be "sporty", so the ride is just as harsh and noisy. It also seems smaller inside, no rear camera, worse fuel consumption, and a ridiculously hard to use "mouse" device to operated the screen...)

I decided to try a change of tyres first, and after a lot of googling, I bought Goodyear Excellence tyres two weeks ago (rated at 67-68db). I have not noticed any impact of fuel consumption, but they have pretty much transformed the noise levels. So I am now happy to stay with my Prius.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links