Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Battery And Dieselfilter Warning Light Suddenly Lit Up.

CME

Hi there! Just bought a 2008 1.6 D4D and driven it for 2k km (total 123k km). Anybody knows why those lights normaly lights up? It also says "Check Battery" in the speedo, but Battery was replaced recently and indicating ok on test.

Is there a way to check if dieselfilter is clogged or full of water? I have tried to reach the drainplug, but it sits very uncomfortable and tight. Need some advice on this.

when this happened on my 2.2 D4D a few months ago, the alternator also made a 'not so nice' noise too.

In my instance my alternator was failing. I got it replaced under my Toyota extended warranty.

My diesel filter light also illuminated.

Hi Phil!

Did you get any explanation on why both lamps (Filter and Battery) was illuminated?

I guess i have to leave the car to the dealer to diagnose it anyway, but could be nice to know.....

My lights came on when I turned on the mist/fog front lights while driving. Afterwards I let th car idle for 4-5 minutes, and the warning lights turned out, just to turn on again when throttle.

I'll check if there are some unwelcome audio from the alternator.

Thanx!

I didn't question it nor did they tell me.

My alternator wasn't producing the power it was suppose to when it was failing when it was tested with a volt meter - maybe this drop triggered the light to illumate erroneously.

The diesel filter light usually means you need to give the car a decent run (15/20 minutes at highish revs, 2000+) which should get temperatures up enough to burn out the crap in the filter. The Battery light coming on at the same time is a bit odd. Nothing in your manual about it?

Hi Tim!

In my manual it say's: "Do the proper maintenance", but that's it. Nothing about what proper maintenance is.(Page 351 in owners manual). The engine was @ normal workingtemperature when the ligts came on and we had just finidhed a 2 hour trip on the highway. I do not think the problem is DPF, rather the fuel filter/pump. I'll measure the voltage for fun, but the car is still under usedcar warranty for a month or so, so I'll ring the dealer on monday....

If the chargevoltage is high enough, I'll try your suggestion to do the "burnout" routine.

Thank you for the tip!

I didn't pay any attention to the diesel filter light when my Battery light came on.

The diesel filter light in my 2.2 d4d means the water needs draining out with it. There is no warning light specific to the dpf.

In my previous car when i had battery/alternator trouble I had the abs light, auto wiper and auto light come on/indication of failure. It even stated in the service manual that if the voltage wasn't stable or was too low several systems in the car would shut down.

So it seems the "Check Battery" indicator is the one to go after. Measured just 4V @ batterypoles when engine running and 12V when ignition turned off.

Maybe "Check Battery" is poorly translated? Should it be "Change Alternator"?

This one is for the dealer.

Thanx everyone for contribution with ideas :driving: !

the Battery warning light indicates a Battery charging problem. Either under charging or over charging.

4V at the Battery poles? a lot of systems would refuse to operate at that voltage! Was the electric power steering intermittent? (Again my previous car, this was another symptom).

Hi Phil!

The diesel filter warninglamp just confuses me. Makes me curious.

I think the low voltage is the problem here, but the engine starts happily and runs smooth. No odd noises from alterntor or other moving parts. In fact it's running a bit more quiet than just a couple of days ago.

What do you mean by power steering beeing intermittent?

I'm not that good in english, is it about uneven or "lagging" when steering? I did not notice any difference yesterday when I was out driving and the lights went on.

The only thing was that I turned the foglights on while driving with highbeam lights.The same second the warning lights went on. And the "Battery Check" message appeared on the display.

Hello there! I had this exact problem only a couple of weeks back on my auris sr180 08. Both the fuel filter and check Battery light came on. The same day all the electronics failed and had to be recovered. AA pointed at an alternator fault. Took it back to the Toyota dealership and they said the same thing and replaced the alternator under warranty. I bet a pound to a pinch of **** it's an alternator fault!

• Like 1

Hi Lewis!

I brought the car to workshop and they replaced the alternator and belt! I did loose the radio stations, but the mileage was untouched ;).

The pound is yours!

• 7 years later...

I have this exact same problem, replaced fuel filter (engine and oil filter, no relevance), replaced alternator and Battery. Checked for Battery and alternator voltage, all good, checked for faults on 4 different computers, no faults showing, but these 3 warnings are still lit up ??? Anyone ???

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links