Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis 2.2 D4D 2006 Higher Fuel Consumption

BlackArrow

Hi Everyone, I am looking for some help. I have 2.2 D4D Avensis Estate with 151.000 on the clock. Recently I have replaced EGR valve and reconditioned injectors. All done by Mr Toyota. I have noticed that the fuel consumption has somewhat increased. From 900km (600miles) i was able to do on a tank i can now do maximum of 750-800 (500 miles). Any advise most welcomed.

Don't complain to much I have a 2011 model and considered myself lucky to get 400 miles from a tank.

It really depends when, where & how you drive.

Currently pottering around town in Winter with it barely warming up I'll only get about 35mpg (460 mile range).

Come the summer given some long runs on dual carriageway or motorway it'll be 50+.

An average of 45mpg gives ~600 mile range (remember that the computer counts down to the Reserve which is ~2 gallons so when it says 0 miles range you've still got 50+ +).

Above assumes a "normal" 150bhp 2.2 manual. If you have a D-CAT or worse a D-CAT auto then yes, you'll get a lot lower.

Thanks guys - very helpful!

I am doing around 70 miles a day. All done the same routing day in day out - dual carrigeway almost door to door - 70 miles/day. It is "normal 150 2.2 manual :-)

Is it true that the onboard comuter readjusts itself after a while? Or is it one of those urban legends?

if the ECU has been reset (e.g. Battery disconnected for 30 minutes +) then the car will relearn your driving style.

• 9 months later...

My 2.2 d-4d d-cat i just bought. i run 13km on a liter. ( bp ultimate ) so also bad fuel consumption.

Should i disconnect the Battery ? Because i'm a new driver ?

Hello Erik - welcome to Toyota Owners Club.

How are you measuring the fuel consumption - are you going by the car's computer or actually calculating the consumption using a brim-to-brim, method?

Disconnecting the Battery for 30 minutes or so for a reset shouldn't do any harm, so try that.

the D-Cat is thirsty - it's that 5th injector. Typically 38mpg or less in an Avensis even as a manual so your 13km/l is pretty much bang on (~37mpg).

Sorry scott, are this us gallons ?

but you say my fuel consumption is ok?

and about the 5th injector. That just for regeneration ? How often is it generating ?

No, imperial gallons (4.546l).

I don't know where you live but colder weather (currently Winter in Europe) has a negative effect on fuel consumption especially on short journeys (this family of engines is well known to be slow to reach optimal operating temp.).

Obviously driving conditions & style also has an effect but your fuel consumption is within the range that I would expect from a 2.2 D-CAT (a 150bhp non D-CAT would typically get ~10% or more better).

(a 150bhp non D-CAT would typically get ~10% or more better).

That's why i want to remove the d-cat(dpf) when the 6month warrenty is over. :)

To give you a comparison with a 2.2 DCAT engine in an Auris, mine is currently averaging just over 40 MPG in temps around 0 deg C. No motorways, cross country commute & a little city driving. I don't use it for very short journeys at all to avoid the 5th injector having to regenerate regularly.

(a 150bhp non D-CAT would typically get ~10% or more better).

That's why i want to remove the d-cat(dpf) when the 6month warrenty is over. :)

There is 1 company that I know of in the UK that claims to be able to do this but it involves using a piggyback tuning chip box as you can't remap the Denso ECU. The cost of the conversion to save 10% (or potentially less as the 180 is in a higher tune than the 150) will buy you a lot of fuel before you break even.

& at least in the UK removing a DPF from a vehicle meant to have one is now an MOT (mandatory annual vehicle safety check on those 3 years or older) fail.

Removing dpf is not only for the fuel consumption. I think it's better for the engine.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links