Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auris Hsd Questions

Livefast123

I'm looking to replace my 200,000 mile Golf GTi with something that is cheaper to run and doesn't involve paying too much excise to the Government.

I have been seriously looking at some nearly new Auris Sports Tourers in Icon spec. I like the zero tax and decent mpg possibilities but was just wondering if anyone has some real world experience of them. My commute involves a mile trip to the M5 where I do another 17 miles before coming off the motorway for another 2 miles to work. Does this sound like a decent hybrid journey, I also potter around town and visit the MiL who lives a mile away.

Thanks Frosty, some good reading in there. As I'm using my own money to buy I'm trying to do as much research as possible before taking the plunge.

Reliability is a prime factor as I usually keep my cars till they die and my petrol Golf has been largely trouble free over it's 200,000 miles.

Hi Livefast123

I purchased an 8 month old Auris Tourer in Icon Spec last week and so far I am very pleased, my real life mpg experiences so far are as below.

7 mile journey to work all B roads - between 56 and 59mpg even got stuck in 15min traffic jam one morning and still managed 58mpg - previous car 2007 ceed SW 1.6 CRDI and got 43 mpg also previously when i have been stuck in same traffic jam ceed would drop to around 36mpg.

travelled from St albans to Kingston via M25 and M3 approx 35miles on motorway and 8 miles b roads got 64mpg there at 3 oclock in the afternoon when motorway busy doing around 75mph when i could however came back at 1am in the morning doing 75 to 80mph on a clear motorway and my mpg dropped to 55 the difference in busy traffic is you are constantly lifting of the accelerator as traffic flow changes which adds more power to the Battery - again previous motorway mpg from my ceed was 55mpg.

I have been driving mostly in eco mod and trying to get best mpg so cant comment fully yet as to what my mpg would be if i drove it the same as my old diesel. Lastly dont be put of by the critics the noise on heavy acceleration isnt that bad at all and the car has some serious mid range umph when its in power mod.

also weather has been mild since i got the car so havent really been using much in the way of the heater or aircon so would expect my mpg may drop a little on cold mornings or hot days to come?

Hope the above helps and if you have any other questions about the the car your welcome to ask

Tutchy

If you are considering nearly new check out the current Toyota offers for new. Auris has 0% interest and a £1000 deposit discount together with 3 year free servicing plus other bits. Was tempted by the offer at Howards WSM but decided to stick with the Avensis for now. They are desperate to do deals for cars registered this month to reach their target. Your use sounds ideal for the Hybrid.

Thanks, there are a number of dealers fairly close to me selling 13 plate Icons for around 15500. I fancy a white one.....lol

Do they have any issues with misting up or poor heating, seen a few posts suggesting this.

Not had a cold morning yet to know what the heater is like, have had the windscreen mist up but like any other car i have ever owned you press the windscreen button and the rush of air demists it.

Tutchy

Hi Livefast123,

We collected our new Auris Hybrid Tourer Icon model three weeks ago in replacement of our Yaris Hybrid, as we needed more luggage carrying capacity. So far, we are getting as good, if not better, mileage than the Yaris! We recently achieved 65.5 mpg on 50 mile journey using mainly dual carriageways and the M1, although I was trying to drive economically in eco mode. We are very pleased with the car and would recommend it if you want to save fuel and need an estate. We also got a very good deal from the showroom.

If you are used to driving a Golf GTi you will find it a totally different experience! I know, as we also have an Impreza WRX, which can accelerate twice as fast but only does half the mileage, if you are careful. I find the Auris very quiet and relaxing to drive, however, at first you may think it is rather sluggish in eco mode. The live mpg figures are right in front of you on the dashboard, so it is easy to see how you are doing. You need to be as light footed on the accelerator pedal as possible and can often lift off all together for short distances. You will begin to notice whether you are going up or down hill. I keep meaning to fix a spirit level inside the car as it is often difficult to tell!

That's the type of good news story I like to hear! Luckily I get to drive performance cars everyday at work so my private driving style is more like my granny. I guess it will be fun to try and get the best mileage possible.

How often do they need servicing and do you find Toyota dealers are decent/competant

Service intervals are every 12 months/10,000 miles, whichever occurs first. Intermediate service at the first 12 months, and Full service at 24 months - and they continue like that. As regards servicing costs, Toyota operate a Fixed Price Servicing scheme which operates from day one (other manufacturers begin their similar schemes when a car reaches three years old) - see:

http://www.toyota.co.uk/service-and-maintenance/car-servicing

I've had three new Toyotas since 2006, and not had any problems with the servicing, in terms of quality and competancy.

Once a year servicing and our Yaris's first service was free in any case. The dealer transferred my second free future service from our Yaris to our Auris which was very good of them. Our Yaris was serviced well and had no problems over the 18 months we owned it.

• 2 weeks later...

I would recommend 15" wheels. They give a softer ride, the tyres are much cheaper to replace (factor of x2 ) and you will get at least 10% more mpg. I'm stuck with 17" and have struggled to get 50 mpg this winter. Ambients above 10c certainly improve matters e.g. this month I've managed 55 mpg but you should top 60 mpg on the small wheels. I'm told by other owners on this site to expect even better in the summer months, so here's hoping.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links