Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Cvt Failure

Mr Smar

Hi All, I Posted a few weeks ago saying my IQ2 CVT was making an odd high pitch whine, well took it to my local toyota and it needs a complete new gearbox

This will be done under warranty i'm glad to say but quite shocked at this.

Car is 18 months old and done 7000 miles

And just a word to the wise if you have a CVT, extend your warranty......the cost of replacement.............are you ready for this........£5400 :giljotiini:

I'm falling out of love with this car TBH - the 27mpg urban cycle is normal according to Toyota = crap and faffing around with tyre pressures, filters, driving methods, CVT settings and fuels has hardly made any difference. If we still have it by the time the 5-year warranty is over (2017), then that's probably as far as we go with it anyway. My Citroen C5's AL4 auto gearbox has just started to go after 10 years - and I'm annoyed with that, but at least it does 35mpg urban, and I can't even envisage the CVT going before the 2017 cutoff :( agr

Not even going to think about it. :nono:

I think i've just been unlucky i can't find much evidence to any other IQ CVT failures looking around the web but there must be a few. I love the IQ though its so much better than the aygo i had and economical for a cvt 50mpg in the winter 55-57 in the summer. I just hope it still goes ok after the "open heart surgery" they have got it for 2 days next week i said to them there's no rush, take your time!

• Like 1

I think i've just been unlucky i can't find much evidence to any other IQ CVT failures looking around the web but there must be a few. I love the IQ though its so much better than the aygo i had and economical for a cvt 50mpg in the winter 55-57 in the summer. I just hope it still goes ok after the "open heart surgery" they have got it for 2 days next week i said to them there's no rush, take your time!

Yes, but what driving conditions for the 50mpg? I got 27 last week for 80% urban, which is ridiculous for a car of this ilk and Toyota are having none of it. "Normal" they say.

My CVT does 45mpg total urban

About 55 motorway. Only I up no passenger

David

I only do about 12 miles a day 50%urban 50% A Roads and double that at the weekend. worst mpg i've had was about 37mpg, cold winter, -6 ,frost etc

My CVT does 45mpg total urban

About 55 motorway. Only I up no passenger

David

I must have a bogey then and as long as there is no actual fault registered, Toyota are simply going to ignore it. I'm not getting anywhere near the 45 you're getting David.

We've tried driving it in a multitude of styles both hard and frugally, in D or S and combinations of the two and find, it's slightly better driven hard.

I was going to invest in all sorts for this motor, i.e. manuals, wiring diagrams, extras etc and try to keep it on the road for 10 years or so ;) but am not going to bother now. I might even try and sell on after a year of ownership while the warranty is longish.

My ave mpg for my 1.0 auto is about the same as David, never had lower than 44 mpg over a tank. Most of my driving is 5-10 mile trips, and maybe 25% urban. Longer runs in summer two up, get around 57mpg. If i were getting 27, i'd complain, and go for a check over at another dealer, if the local one stonewalls you. Failing that, swap it.

I know its a different car but the Honda Jazz I used to drive got to 80k mileage and six years old with no gearbox problems at all. Must be a manufacturing fault if the IQ2 needs a new one at just 7k mileage.

Have seen some low mileage CVT iQ gearboxes on eBay available via accident damage for £450- £500

If out of warranty would probably go that route

David

• Like 1

"And just a word to the wise if you have a CVT, extend your warranty......the cost of replacement.............are you ready for this........£5400"

About three/four years ago I remember reading (think in What Car) the case of someone who had bought a secondhand Ford C-Max CVT, and the gearbox failed after a couple of months. As there weren't many C-Max CVT's sold of that model in the UK, Ford had only two CVT gearboxes in stock, and the cost of the gearbox then was £4500 - more than the purchase price of the car.

Re Auto Gearbox failure, just my personal view:

All Auto boxes should be covered for at least 100,000 miles by the manufacturer,

Assuming normal use and correct maintenance, this is what we as "customers" should expect as a minimum.

My next car just might well be a Kia with a full 7 year warranty.

• Like 1

That is effectively what you have with Toyota (5 years/100,000 miles), Hyundai (5 years/unlimited mileage), and Kia (7 years/100,000 miles).

That is effectively what you have with Toyota (5 years/100,000 miles), Hyundai (5 years/unlimited mileage), and Kia (7 years/100,000 miles).

I think that Kia 7 years suits me best personally as my miles are low, The Kia reviews seem to be quite good and I "think" that the 7 years is the longest of any manufacturer ? unless I am mistaken ?

I wonder if Toyota are going to increase there warranty to 7 years to keep up with Kia ?

I had a Hyundai in Africa about 4 years ago it was a full 4 x 4 V6 owned it for about 2 plus years and it was completely trouble free in all very difficult conditions across africa, for many miles. Could not fault it in any way at all !

The Vauxhall/Opel 'Lifetime'/100,000 mile warranty is longer in terms of time (introduced from 1st August 2010) - but it is only for the first registered owner. The Lifetime warranty is/was only available on cars bought in either the UK or Germany - so isn't a pan-European warranty. It operates differently to the norm, and doesn't offer full protection in terms of parts costs.

Opel ran into trouble with the Lifetime warranty in Germany - criticism centred on the fact that the warranty wasn't for the lifetime of the car, the way the warranty was advertised, and that after the manufacturers warranty (2 years for Opel, 3 for Vauxhall), parts were paid for under a graduated scale and repairs were dependent on the current value of the car. Quote from Opel: “The lifetime warranty covers all labour costs. Parts are completely covered in the first two years under the manufacturer’s warranty or up to 50,000 km. After that, the owner is paid on a graduated scale for the fair value of parts according to the number of kilometers driven. The warranty is limited to the current value of the car at the time of a claim.”

Opel dropped the Lifetime warranty in October 2011, after approx 14 months of operation. Vauxhall have continued with it so far. A similar warranty is available on some used cars (under 12 months old and under 30,000 miles) sold through the Network Q scheme

My sister bought a new Hyundai Getz in 2005 - she sold it to a friend in 2012 and bought a new i20. Apart from servicing and having the timing belt changed, no other repairs were required and the car sailed through its MOT every year. It is now nine years old, and has just passed its MOT with only two bulbs needing to be replaced.

• Like 1

Re Auto Gearbox failure, just my personal view:

All Auto boxes should be covered for at least 100,000 miles by the manufacturer,

Assuming normal use and correct maintenance, this is what we as "customers" should expect as a minimum.

My next car just might well be a Kia with a full 7 year warranty.

Completely agree Bob,

We pay enough for these cars and have to put up with often false or exaggerated claims, and with ever diminishing resources they should encourage us to hold onto them for longer. Not only that, manufacturers should find a way of branching out so they're not reliant on rapacious consumerism to keep themselves going.

With 7.5Bn plus consumers on Planet Earth all wanting to keep up with the car-owning Joneses, we're going to have to recycle or re-adapt old technology more than we do - and I doubt even that's frugal enough in the end.

If my Citroen C5 AL4 auto-gearbox goes, and it's starting to go after only 60k, then the cost to replace it (unless I go secondhand and DIY, whereby I could still inherit the same problem) will be at least 5-6 times the resale value of the car, or 25 times the scrap value. By the end of the month, those figures will probably shift to 8-9 and 30 times respectively.

I drove around California in 1998 in a mid-70s Mercedes sedan (of this ilk) with 1000s of miles on the clock, and the 3-speed auto gearbox on that was original and totally serviceable. Not like this "sealed-for-life-don't-touch-it-or-it'll-explode-in-your-face" nonsense of the AL4.

Ridiculous paradigm we live in.

• Like 1

The whole thing with Toyota is expense. Take the simplest of things like trim. There is. A 1/2 x 15inch sticky back chrome look a like trim you can add in a recess above where the leather pouch glove bage goes. Its plastic and costs £47. Rear garnish for the boot lip has gone up £93. Stick on trim for the doors £145. On that basis thats why the gearbox is £5,300!!!!!

David

• Like 1

Perhaps that's what happens when a "generally affordable" car manufacturer allies a particular model to a luxury sports car manufacturer. Up the kudos, up any associated price tags.

Probably not, but I just wanted to say that :) ;)

Perhaps that's what happens when a "generally affordable" car manufacturer allies a particular model to a luxury sports car manufacturer. Up the kudos, up any associated price tags.

Probably not, but I just wanted to say that :) ;)

Easy way to find out, pop down to your local Aston dealer and see what they quote you for similar bits for the Cygnet.

You never know, might find a saving :-)

Hello Sir, take a seat, Oh no sir you don't want to concerning your self with that little cart. I'm sure we can offer you a very good deal on this Vanquish

David

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All, I Posted a few weeks ago saying my IQ2 CVT was making an odd high pitch whine, well took it to my local toyota and it needs a complete new gearbox

This will be done under warranty i'm glad to say but quite shocked at this.

Car is 18 months old and done 7000 miles

And just a word to the wise if you have a CVT, extend your warranty......the cost of replacement.............are you ready for this........£5400 :giljotiini:

Did it do it often or just once or twice?

The reason I ask is ours made a weird whine after we'd driven the car 200 miles to London and then going slowly round the M25 the car made a weird shine - similar to the old Austin Metro gearbox stuck in 1st gear.

It's done it once or twice now and we're at 31k miles. Is it just one of those things? Seems to do it after a long run rather than just in town. Dealers can't find anything wrong and usually they're spot on and we've never had issues with them.

think the metro used to suffer from blocked vacuum pipes that cleared on their own A feature

David

"And just a word to the wise if you have a CVT, extend your warranty......the cost of replacement.............are you ready for this........£5400"

In the extended warranty... the CVT gearbox is NOT included.... only the

engine-block itself..and even that is very restricted... :-(

The 5 year warranty consist of a full 3 year and an additional 2 years.. The extra 2 years is covered by a different insurance company... and a lot is not covered in this extra...

The 2 year extra was an option you had to pay for...

I am not sure if T. does have an extended body/rust warranty on the model apart from this...

In Holland .. that is... maybe it's different on the Island ( being Gr.Br. ;-) )

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links