Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

What Is The Thickest Oil I Can Use Without Killing My Car

waqar_lionheart

Hi All,

Long time since i last posted. I have finally caved into the idea that my car consumes oil and yes its the dreaded 1.8 vvti manual 2001 gs model. I know that its consuming oil although there is absolutely no indication of it in the exhaust bar ash/soot in exhaust. NO SMOKE. Blue or White. I know how the oil goes past the rings and bla bla bla and how this engine block is scoring the cylinder issues with oil caking around rings and no oil cooler in the car... the list is endless :). Now can anyone tell me whats the thickest oil i can use. I know its going deteriorate over time and get thin. I can use the recommended the Toyota recommended 5w/30 which i was using but kinda stupid it disappears quite quick. I have also given a try to 10w/40 but would like to try thicker ones with out killing the engine and i am quite happy for it to sit for a few minutes in the morning before i take it out coz i know that thick oil will take some time getting around especially while engine is cold. I know Konrad is going to see this and go "Where the hell have you been?" so my apologies to him.

Regards,

Waqar

I don't think I'd want to put in any thicker than 10W40 semi-synthetic to be honest

Hi Waqar, definitely long time a long time.

I agree with Leeroy - 10W40.

I checked the Castrol site and the thickest I have seen is 20W50! I have not used that since the 90s.

Another member had an unusual way of keeping the oil burning at bay, by using premium petrol for a few tanks, then back to regular fuel for 6 months.

Apart from that, I have emailed you with the where you been question.

Konrad

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links