Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Detachable Glove Box - Worth The Money?

Ashtons99

Looking through the accessories brochure I saw the optional "glove box" which snaps onto the studs and presumably is made so one can carry it round if removed from the car.

I noted the price of £130!!! Once I had recovered I spoke to the parts dept who said they could supply one for £80 with customer discount.

Has anyone bought one of these, are they more form than function and are they actually worth £80?

• Like 1

You could also send a personal message to Parts King (see the Community page, Sponsors Corner, Lindop Toyota) to see what price he can do the part for.

I have the glove box, one of the first things I bought for the car.

Very useful but it isn't removable. It's fitted onto the studs but designed to stay there really. I use it to keep essentials in like Phone charger cable, CD's, Insurance certificate, Etc.

Nicely made and works a treat.

I found mine on eBay for about £40 in as new condition. Here is a picture of it fitted to my car.

Craig.

post-116364-0-94421600-1398842616_thumb.

• Like 1

Nope... made one myself... first linen and leather... and later a red one from filt. Had it made on a course in 5 hours... it was a ladies afternoon 'bag' workshop.

A lot of fun... and I had it made just to match the car... so in RED... :-)

The afternoon was a 60 euro course...

You do have to screw in the car...and there better not be an airbag at that place (American models can have this)...

If you search on this forum, you will find more of my work.

I have a different view. I think its because where i lived There was a lot of breaking into cars even if it only had 20p on the seat

My thoughts are that passenger bag could hold a laptop or ipad and somebody looking through the side window might want to take their chances. I limo'd the back glass so nothing is on view. Not even a storage between the seats. Just my view based entirely on where i was brought up. I wouldnt even store CD's but have all my music on usb or phone.

David

• Like 1

I have the glove box thing and it is useful for bits and bobs.

My most useful purchase was a Draper boot tidy - I have the back seats down all the time and this tidy is neat and holds loads.

• Like 1

Thanks folks. I know what you mean Tarquin about it being a temptation to opportunists. The dealer is getting it in for me so I will have a look when it arrives

• Like 1

The IQ detachable glove box is a bit overpriced in my view.

• Like 1

A bit? LOLROFL

A bit? LOLROFL

OK its a complete rip off and a disgrace to Toyota for charging such a high price for this item !

Is that any better ?

• Like 1

Naaaaice... I see what you did there Bob... :-D

Slightly off subject but connected with Rip off. I wanted an original heated seat switch from Toyota. Its a normal size switch divided into 2 with an Led. Normal average cost for a similar function switch about £4. Cost to you from toyota £76!! Why because it comes from Japan and not China

David

• Like 1

Well after one or two disasters on behalf of the dealer during the sales transaction I managed to get a glove box free along with a 3 year service plan and a factory mat set.

The glove box although possibly useful is certainly worth nothing like the retail price and I definitely wouldn't buy one

• Like 1

It seems that anything from Japan is expensive, China is "slave labour" so it is the cheapest !

This principle applies to many items in our world today not just Toyota parts.

I worked in VietNam for a number of years (built a new high tech metal packaging factory) and Nike also assembled shoes in Ho Chi Min City (Saigon) (they made trainers) and the factory employed 8000 workers and was ran by Korean Mgt, the 8000 workers were paid far less than $1 per day and occasionaly stopped work to complain, then the Mgt stopped paying them and they started work again !

So perhaps we should remember the price we do pay for very cheap goods ?

Just a thought !

• Like 1

• 7 years later...

May I ask if anyone still has their iQ … is it peeling? Thx 

Lisa, the previous posts to yours are 7 years old (2014) so maybe, so maybe posters are no longer Toyota owners. Also your question was way off topic. Why don’t you start a new thread asking your question (sounds like you have a question) or better still see if any recent comments made about peeling (and I know there are).

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links