Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Adjusting The Clutch Bite-Point

Ambriel

The wife's got a little blue Aygo which I don't normally drive but when I have I've noticed that the clutch bite-point is very low, in just about the last inch of travel before hitting the floor.

I've searched and read some of the other topics on the subject that have been posted here so I know the cable is supposed to be checked and adjusted when it's serviced.

Now, will adjusting the clutch cable by way of the plastic knob behind where the cables meet the gearbox/clutch housing bring the bite-point back up a bit or will that just take up slack where the cable has stretched?

It's awkward to get to with hands like mine so before I go to the trouble of working out a better way to get at it I wanted to check I wasn't wasting my time.

It's just had a new clutch and I notice the wife has stalled it a few times pulling away so presumably it was slipping quite a bit before.

Hi there.

The workings of the clutch themselves are not really adjustable.

Because of the way clutches wear, the fingers that are pressed on by the release bearing start off in a low position

and eventually end up higher, at some stage, either somebody has adjusted the cable to compensate or,

you simply have a new clutch which is in a naturally, slightly lower position.

Only the cable is adjustable. The latest spec. is 13 - 23 mm free play.

If you press down with one finger on the clutch pedal, you can see how far it travels before any resistance is felt.

Measure with a tape measure perpendicular to pedal movement.

I suspect you will have excessive free travel.

If you have, tighten up the outer cable using the adjuster you mention.

It works in a conventional manner, so you need to UNscrew it to give the desired effect.

Leaning under the bonnet, use your right hand, rotate the knurled bit moving the top, towards the rear nearside of the Aygo.

Mine took about 3 full turns or 18 "flats" to adjust 18mm at the pedal end.

Hope this helps.

Ian.

Thanks, I'll give it a try then. It does appear to be excessive free play.

Unfortunately, having quite large hands, it's rather a tight fit for me to get at the adjuster so I'll see what I can remove that will give me better access.

Cheers

Gary

Same here......Sausage fingers.

Put on a pair of tight washing-up gloves......Those yellow ones.

Use NO lubricant and you can get a much better grip. Can't remember now

but might be one finger of each hand, one up, one down.

It would be really easy but the position of the other 2 cables right on top

of the one you want make it a right pain. You can't even see the thing with a torch properly.

Good Luck.

Ian.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links