Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

'99 Avensis 2.0 Td : Steering Squeaks

Modano

Hi All,

got my MK1 Avensis since 1 month now, everything runs fine. I did around 1500 miles.

Regarding the steering wheel, I have a question.

I've read a lot of things regarding the steering rack, the Toyota recall etc.

Today, while maneuvring car stopped, not at full lock, it made a squeak. The sound really seems to come from behind the wheel but I know it can be misleading.

It is a pretty accute squeak, not a cracking noise, lasted very few time. No problems while running. I did about 10 miles after a 1hr rest of the car, no squeaks.

The sound is similar to plastic to plastic friction, nothing metallic.

While car is powered off, if I turn the wheel, I can hear _really_ slightly a small friction noise.

Otherwise, I still think the steering is very precise and I don't feel any wear...

First of all, is this dangerous ? Is this something I need to get checked ASAP ?

Is is something that a greasing into the rack/wheel/anywhere can ajust ?

Is there something I can do (altough I won't start dismantling anything inside the steering mechanism)

Thanks a lot !

Check the power steering drive belt. If worn or too slack the noise you've heard could be the belt slipping.

Simple to adjust but you'll need a long lever(pry bar) the create the necessary tension.

The steering column on this model also needed special grease on the splines on the intermediate shaft. Lack of lube gave a 'knock' whilst manoeuvring - so it doesn't sound like that.

Check the power steering drive belt. If worn or too slack the noise you've heard could be the belt slipping.

Simple to adjust but you'll need a long lever(pry bar) the create the necessary tension.

The steering column on this model also needed special grease on the splines on the intermediate shaft. Lack of lube gave a 'knock' whilst manoeuvring - so it doesn't sound like that.

Thanks

it shan't come from the belt. Firstly it is a recent one, and I really crosschecked the source of the noise, it was heard inside (my wife confirmed).

But your testimony reminds me that the steering always sounded like lightly "knocking" (location seems very deep, at the opposite of my squeak, ,and I can "feel" it on the wheel), but only on deteriorated roads...So this may need greasing to ajust, but the squeaking noise is another story.

In both cases, any danger to drive that ?

Safe to drive. Theknocking you can feel tthrough the wheel will be the shaft splines. There is a bit of dismantling to do to split the shaft. Ionly felt it when mmanoeuvring at low speeds. The grease is sold by Toyota in a small tube. I think one of my posts from a few years ago my quote the part number? I'd still look at the belt given that it's directly in front of you behind the bulk head. New belts stretch - they normally squeal on full lock if slipping.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links