Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Motorist Doing Twice The Legal Motorway Limit Was Fastest Caught

Raistlin

A motorist has been caught speeding at 149mph more than twice the legal motorway limit and a record for the past year

Others have been caught doing three times the legal limit in 30mph zones one near a rural primary school.

The motorway offence, on the M25 near Swanley in Kent, was captured by a speed camera and was the highest recorded speed during the period April 2013 to May 2014.

article-2641139-04DC4D2D0000044D-794_634

One motorist was caught traveling at 149mph along the M25 by a newly installed digital speed camera

The figures revealed that another driver caught by the same speed camera clocked up 146mph at Swanley on the M25, with two more hitting 127mph.

New digital cameras have recently been installed on the M25 and older ones re-activated.

The offences were revealed in data received from police under a Freedom of Information Act request from the Institute of Advanced Motorists (IAM).

The highest speed recorded on a 30mph road was 96mph in Leam Lane in Gateshead, Tyne and Wear more than three times the legal limit.

article-2641139-03C60CE30000044D-605_634

That just pipped the 94mph clocked up in the 30mph zone near New York Primary School on the B1192 Langrick Road in Lincolnshire.

In other 30mph zones, drivers were filmed doing 92mph on the B1522 in Gateshead; 86mph in Court farm Road, Longwell Green, Avon and Somerset; 86mph in Lutons Sundon Park Road, Bedfordshire; and 84mph on the A4103 at Leigh Sinton in West Mercia polices area.

The highest speed captured on a 50mph road was on the A414 Stanstead Abbotts, Hertfordshire, where a motorist clocked 119mph.

The highest on a 60mph road was 127mph on the A413 Wendover bypass in Buckinghamshire.

And one driver hit 113mph in a 40mph A17 Station Road at Swineshead Bridge in Lincolnshire some 73mph above the limit.

The fastest speed recorded last year in a 30mph zone was 96mph, however, one motorist passed New York Primary school in Lincolnshire at 94 mph

The IAM report noted: A motorist in on the M25 at Swanley holds the record for the highest speed clocked by a speed camera in England and Wales between April 2013 and May 2014. The 149 mph figure was revealed following freedom of information requests to 39 police authorities.

But the IAM says the penalties which excessive speeders face are out of sync with the danger they pose to other road users and to themselves.

IAM head of road safety Kevin Delaney said: Lets be clear were not talking here of otherwise law-abiding motorists who are trying their best but may make a careless mistake and slip a few miles per hour above the posted speed limited.

These are dangerous drivers who are speeding at two or three times the legal speed limit, sometimes near schools. They are selfish individuals putting peoples lives in danger.

Guidelines to magistrates on sentencing for speeding include a fine plus six penalty points or disqualified for between 7 and 56 days for motorists who drive at 101mph and 110mph on a 70mph road; at between 76mph and 85 mph on a 50mph road; or at between 51mph and 60mph in a 30mph zone.

IAM chief executive Simon Best said: Speed limits are a limit. They are not a target to beat.

Unfortunately this message has not got through to many motorists and its clear that efforts to make speeding as socially unacceptable as drink-driving continue to fail.

Its amazing what an Aygo will do, going downhill with the wind behind it.

• Like 1

That would have to be some wind... and it's up hill to Guildford

I don't condone these activities at all, but I would be willing to bet that most (if not all) in the lower speed limits were committed in the early hours of a w/end morning ie. when nobody else was around. I would also guess that many were boy racers who were not expecting to be caught during those times ....... Silly either way.

• Like 1

Red Yaris drives a Yaris, there's a clue in his name...

post-41902-0-63805400-1401303578.gif

• Like 1

Just doing the invites for the launch of that beauty ;)

Red Yaris drives a Yaris, there's a clue in his name...attachicon.gifummyeahright.gif

I thought all those little noddy cars were the same thing.!!!!

Just goes to show how misguided your thoughts are :p

well you won't catch me doing those sorts of speeds, I'd doubt if I could control a car. Between cameras I have got it up to 80mph without too much effort but that's just to overtake middle lane hoggers.

I'm sure many of us have done well into 3 figure speeds on the autobahn in Germany for example, but over here it's just asking for trouble. Even on the unrestricted stretches of their motorways they're still subject to a 130 km/h (80 mph) limit in wet conditions & rightly so !

That was still somewhat less than a police officer was caught doing in his unmarked car (without using lights or siren) - just to test it. He was prosecuted then let off scott free by the judge. When the police don't have to follow the same rules that the rest of us are bound to regarding such issues, it's hard to take calls of dire consequences for speeding too seriously.

A driver was caught doing over 140 mph on the A90 (Aberdeen to Dundee) road 2 or 3 years ago in an M3. I think he was fined & given a year's ban. That's a dual carriageway but with quite a few cameras, so how he thought he was getting away with that is beyond me .....

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links