Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis Alarm Activation

karl s

I have an avensis 1999 1.8 gs. When I brought it there was no circuit board in the key I brought one off eBay and managed to get it working with my central locking but the alarm does not arm and the led on the dashboard does not flash I'm assuming it has been deactivated by the previous owner does anybody know how to re activate it?

Sent from my C6603 using Toyota OC mobile app

The previous owner has probably disabled the immobilizer as might have lost the original key with the circuit board. thats only if there is a factory fitted immobilizer. I would imagine if thats the case then he has tried to avoid paying for recoding the immobiliser key to replace the original and just deactivated the alarm. What i am trying to say is that if you reactivate your immobilizer and alarm you might find yourself in a heap of trouble if you then use your current key. i would first find out whether there was circuit board in the original. If so then two choices either carry on using current system or pay for a new key with coded circuit board.

So you just need to find out about recoding the new full key if there is one.

regards,

waqar

• Like 1

Karl,

If I am correct, the keys you have still have the transponder, but not remote circuits and buttons to remote lock the doors and arm the alarm. You can drive the car because the immobiliser is working with the transponders in the key.

Remote keys can wear out and stop functioning after 16 years, especially if one has been lost and the other used solely. That's why I alternate use of my keys.

Your best bet is to get replacement keys from an auto locksmith, who at the time may be able to determine if the security is active, but needs the remote keys to arm the alarm and lock the doors. If that is all is needed, then you are back in business.

One more thing, change the 'dome' 7.5A fuse in the engine compartment regardless of it's condition!

It can deteriorate but not actually blow (still intact), so the remote central locking does not work.

It is a known fault on MK1 Avensis. It is located in the engine compartment fuse box. Ignore this if the central locking works by via turning the key in the door and the locking switch also works.

Hope this helps.

Konrad

How is that someone can get a key off eBay and work it with immobilizer without having to recode it?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Ok there seems to be some misunderstanding about my question,

I brought another key off eBay and put the remote central locking circuit board in My key which has a working immobiliser transponder in, then coded it to work with my car I know the immobiliser is working as it is an essential part of being able to code the remote to the car the remote central locking works perfectly but the alarm has been deactivated I found the procedure to do this online

Toyota have made this possible from what I have read in case the remote fails because if you lock the doors by turning the key in the lock it arms the alarm but it will only disarm by using the remote.

So as I said I found the procedure to deactivate the alarm but I am trying to find out if anybody knows how to re activate it!

I have tried disconnecting the car Battery and repeating the deactivation procedure in case it was that simple but no luck...

Karl,

Tell us the procedure or the source of information regarding the deactivation of the alarm. Then hopefully the procedure will be roughly reverse for activation.

This would be helpful to me and other forum members who may or have problem with the alarm. There has been a recent request about disabling the alarm and you may have the answer. In return somebody may answer your query.

Konrad

Well I can't remember offhand the name of the site but if you Google alarm deactivation it's one of the top results basically you put the key in and turn the ignition on and off three times then on the forth start the engine and no it doesn't reactivate the alarm!!!

Hi Karl,

Now the picture is alot clearer. I remember my brother's rover honda one time in the middle of the night start blaring out. This is despite the immobilizer working. I think the alarm is on a separate circuit. so there could have been something funny as to why it was turned off.

Regards,

Waqar

Also found this online. try it if you like.

Hi mate
sorry about delay...been busy !!
here are instructions for key reprogramming central locking/alarm that worked for me;
*Drivers door open and key removed from ignition switch
*Insert key into ignition then remove it
*Close all doors,then open any door twice within 40 secs
*Within 40 secs
*Insert key into ignition,then remove it
*Close all doorss, then open any door twice
*Close all doors
* Switch ignition ON and OFF once to program a new remote code whilst retaining the origional codes or twice to program a new remote code whilst erasing the origional codes
*Remove key
*System should now lock and unlock car,once or twice depending which mode has been selected
*Within 25 seconds
*Press and hold key lock button
*Press unlock button 5 times
*Release lock button
*Press and release lock or unlock button once
*System should now lock and unlock car
*If required repeat button procedure to program remaining keys
* Note,A max of 4 keys can be programmed
This really did work!! I got this from auto data,my avensis - 1.8 SE 1999
Good Luck

Where this might sound funny I have seen similar sequence elsewhere.

Regards,

Waqar

Also look into toyota workshop submissions these are very useful and there is a guy in there who has info on i think your model. I would suggest if nothing works drop him an email. Also submissions can be found here http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/forum/20-workshop-submissions/. I found avensis and yaris alarm reactivation in there.

Regards,
Waqar

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links