Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Location Of Obd Connector On Uk Rav4 1997 4Wd 5 Door

ahab

I can see what I assume is the ECU under the dash in the centre - you have to remove the plastic cover to see it.

I can't see any type of ODB socket -ODB2 or ODB1 anywhere in the car or under the bonnet, but there is a mark for a cut-out for probably an OBD2 connector in the plastic dash under the drivers side beneath the steering wheel. I assume that this is where it was put in the US cars.

I assume that my car does have OBD functionality but doesn't have an OBD connector, but was wondering if I could get at the contacts in the ECU, but I cannot feel any unused sockets on the ECU case.

Failing that, is it possible to read the Error Codes by another method, e.g. by making the CEL flash?

Cheers, Ahab.

Not OBD I'm afraid. The diagnostic socket on this model is in the engine bay - it's a small rectangular box with a hinged lid. Use a piece of wire to bridge across terminals TE1 and E. With the ignition switched on - you'll see a flashing lamp in the instrument display - it's signalling fault codes in terms of blinks. Code 42 for example will be four blinks - short delay - two blinks.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Thanks. So I can't plug an OBD analyser in it...

Missing Problem on my RAV4 1997:

I did many tests & replaced some components:

Replaced HT Leads

Replaced spark plugs

Tested thermistor

Pulled fuses out & replaced

Compression Test

Colortune -only on 1 cylinder as was worried i would never get it out again!

but I finally I disconnected most of the multiway connectors (not very easy, apart from 2 large ones which i could not undo), sprayed them with moisture repellent, lubricant and that cured the missing problem!

Cheers,Ahab.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links