Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Thinking Of Changing From A 10 Plate To A 12 Plate Prius

So, I am looking at changing my Prius. What will the newer model offer me against the older version? Both are T Spirit versions, so it's only what has been upgraded and added to the later car.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm sure someone out there will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the only difference is that the newer one will have the Touch & Go system as standard and the older one may have the standard Nav system unless Touch & Go was specified as an option.

And doesn't that mean that the sat nav directions are no longer in the HUD like they were on the 2010 version?

Turn by turn in the HUD is a brilliant feature.

I have it showing mph and hsi in HUD normally and I get the turn signals in time with the voice guidance, love it. Shame if they took it off

I personally wouldn't change unless it was for a 3 year old PIP, even then it would be a tough call. Im getting 70mpg and all is great so far. Changing to get another 20-40mpg (possibly more) is an expensive change.

I will likely wait for the next gen

Not too sure about the HUD part with the Nav. I know it has DRL and folding mirrors and I think the seats have part leather now. It also seems the little tray inside the centre consul has gone and the lid doesn't seem to cover the drink holder anymore, as mine slides but the newer one is fixed/hinged!! I guess there is a reason for those retrograde changes?

So on the 2012 model, is the Nav on a DVD/CD or is it a USB update job?

Not too sure about the HUD part with the Nav...

...So on the 2012 model, is the Nav on a DVD/CD or is it a USB update job?

No SatNav on HUD (the button on the dash is now blanked).

Update via USB

Thanks Pete. I phoned Mr T and the salesman assured me it was on a disc!!! I thought I had read somewhere on here that it was a USB jobby and that it was a free update within 3 years? Or is that me dreaming again!!!

That's the trouble with changing the spec halfway through a model's life - 2009-2011 model got the Hard Disk version, with eye-wateringly expensive updates via the dealer.

Yes you get 3 years' updates (but they don't happen very often and take ages to update when they do). The latest version is EUH20131022 (22 Oct 13) and you run the Toyota Touch & Go Toolbox on a PC to download it onto a USB stick (having first primed the stick in your car). The current version is 6 GB so I download overnight to avoid using a large chunk of my 20GB monthly allowance.

It can take 45-50 minutes of sitting in the car whilst the update happens. The screen recommends "leaving the engine running" = READY mode in the Prius/Hybrid - the 12v Battery would probably be ok for this time, but I wouldn't chance it. If you switch off, you have to start again.

• Like 1

PeteB. Help this old codger out please.

What do you have to do to prime a USB stick in the car?

From what you say I think I may get the dealer to do the map updates!!! It does not seem to easy to do.

PeteB. Help ...What do you have to do to prime a USB stick in the car?...

OK - a quick guide to updating the Touch & Go+ software and/or maps:

1. You will need:

1. USB Memory stick (suggest 16GB or more)

2. Toyota\Toolbox - try here https://toyota.naviextras.com/shop/portal/howtostart (seems to be only a Windows PC version)

3. you will need to supply an email address and choose a password the first time- just follow the instructions.

2. In car (READY mode)

1. Insert USB stick into USB socket (* see below)

2. Press the “Setup” button on the side of the display

3. Touch “General”

4. Touch “Down” twice

5. Touch “System Information”

6. Touch “Copy to USB”

3. On your PC:

1. Run the Toolbox software

2. Insert USB stick

3. Click on the “Downloads” button

4. Click the Shopping Trolley Icon on the right of the “Map of Europe” line

5. Click “Get for Free” in the new window that appears (scroll down).

4. Back in car (READY mode)

1. Don’t start unless you can spare almost an hour!

2. Insert the USB stick in the USB socket

3. Sleep, read a book, whatever.

* on Prius 2012 onwards, the USB socket is in the centre cubby under the armrest, and can be quite fiddly to locate. From the rear on the car, it’s on the bottom left corner of the frontmost panel, behind a small flap.

Damn, looks like I'll get dealer to do on a service also, sounds easier, and I normally don't mind a little faffing. lol

Hi PeteB; Thanks for the help o the Touch & Go and the USB stick info. I followed the link you gave and read all the "How To" instructions. Clicked to get the free PC tool, then clicked "Download". All I get is a blank page; no download. I do have Windows 7 with lots of unused memory.

I logged into My Toyota and clicked maps and that took me to Toyota Customer Portal. I logged into the Portal but failed to find the toolbox download. What am I doing wrong? Help much appreciated.

Thanks for your reply Pete. Yesterday I went onto portal and in frustration over this issue I contacted Toyota via the Portal web site. They replied to say they have passed it to the team and they are looking into the problem. Could take some time I expect.

In the meanwhile if you can find the answer it would be much appreciated.

On Toyota portal it states there is a"PopUp" to get the toolbox download. I could not find it.

As my Prius is new I doubt there are any updates yet but I feel I need to get to grips with the Touch & Go System.

Timberwolf. I am using Mozilla Firefox and pop ups are disabled. I may have to allow pop ups for the portal web site only!!! I will check it out.

Thankyou for the tip.

Have just been back onto the PORTAL web site: Allowed "pop up" on that web site but I still cannot find the mentioned "pop up".

Hi Chris

Sorry for delay, didn't get time to have a look before I went to London on business for a couple of days.

I've tried the link on Google Chrome and IE11 and it does seem to be 'broken'. I think you'll have to wait for Toyota to get it fixed, which as you say may not be quick. Probably worth giving them a 'nudge' now and again.

If you go to step 2-5 in the car (in my instructions above) the screen shows the current version installed (latest is EUH20131022).

Regards, pete

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links