Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2.0 D4D Power Loss And Black Smoke

Kay786

Hi I'm new to these forums so please be patient with me. I have an 2005 04 plate avensis. Recently I've started getting the engine management light coming on in a morning when the cars cold. Car starts to lose power and when I press the accelerator I get lots of black smoke. Recently had a new egr fitted. Solved problem for a week or 2 and now it's back to square one. The car is serviced every 6k miles and then on the third service everything's changed including the fuel filter. Had turbo checked and garage said it was fine. Took it to a friends garage and checked to see what faults it shows on diagnostics and there were 2 faults coming up, first one was fuel leak and the second said injectors. Any one had the same issue and if so how did you resolve it.

Welcome to Toc Raja...

Have you checked that the fuel cap has a good seal and that there are no fuel pipe leaks? Clean the MAF

Thankyou mistermina for your swift reply. I'm going to check for fuel leaks and will clean the maf sensor after work. I will update you once I've tried to let you know if it's solved the problem or not.

Also do an inspection of where the injectors are. Although mine is a petrol, the o-rings that hold injectors into the rail were allowing fuel to get past resulting in poor pressure.

Regards,

Waqar

Right a quick update. I got the fault codes yesterday from a local garage and put them into a diagnostics site online and got this,

P0093 - Fuel system leak detected - large leak

P1238 - Injector

Ford OBD Error Code Details for P1238

Fuel Pump Secondary circuit fault

PSA OBD Error Code Details for P1238

Fuel pump secondary circuit Malfunction

VAG OBD Error Code Details for P1238

Cyl.2-Fuel Inj.Circ. Open Circ.

If anyone can tell me if they understand any of this. Is it injector 2 that's faulty?

Thanks in advance.

From what i have learned reading different forums, articles and engine functioning books, the large leak is there because of high loss of fuel pressure. lets say if your fuel was leaking from a fuel line before it hit the fuel rail; in essence if you couldnt maintain a constant fuel pressure within required parameters, it ll trigger a large fuel leak DTC (error codes are called DTCs). I think the big clue in all of this is that the injector might be the culprit here. I have just gotten hold of some from a breakers for £20. Will see how these go. These seem fine at the moment. So i would personally look at the specified injector. It might be that its leaking so badly that its not allowing pressure to build up. Also find out where your fuel tank is and check all the fuel lines leading up to the engine, its not difficult but labour intensive. I hope this helps.

Also it tells you its cylinder 2 where the injector has triggered a fault. Your black smoke and power loss both directly point to running very rich. As if you are over fuelling massively(badly leaking injector), it ll run overly rich thus black smoke. Also if your richness level goes waaaaaayyyyyyyy beyond the point where richness brings power, you ll actually start to lose power. I think if you fix this leak/injector problem you ll be alright. The black smoke is definitely RICH Running Vehicle.

Regards,

Waqar

Thankyou waqar, I'll get my mechanic to get it on the ramps later and have a look. Since yesterday it's been running fine with no engine management light on, is it possible that a dodgy wire could be at fault possibly running from the injector driver ecu?

you mention possibly faulty wiring. I doubt that very much as it wouldnt cause an injector to leak quite so badly. But get it checked out. Just out of interest how is the idle on your car? shaky rough????

Regards,

Waqar

Also you mentioned the problem occurred when engine is cold, does it go away when hot??????????????

Idles fine. At 900 rpm. No jerking. That's why I think it might be a dodgy wire otherwise if it's an injector the car would misfire wouldn't it? I recently had my Battery changed and to remove the Battery the mechanic had to remove the airbox so I was thinking he may have loosened a wire by accident. Plus yesterday I pushed every plug I could see around the airbox and touch wood cars fine upto now.

Hope you poking around has solved the problem.

Regards,

Waqar

In a morning now when the cars cold while driving there's a knock and then no power. Car rolls to a stand still but still started, revs be at idle but when I push the accelerator there's nothing. Turn off and back on and cars drivable again. It feels like limp mode goes into limp mode :-(

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links