Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Engine Management Light T-Spirit

BENWELL

Hello ,i have just purchased an Avensis t-spirit 2004 estate petrol ,manual, drives superb,no problems at the moment however the engine management light has just come on, but car seems to be working as it should, the service history has a note of this but no answer to why it has come on, i assume they have just switched it off , any help would be appreciated.

The basic answer is, you need an OBD2 diagnostic code reader to find out why the EML came on.

It is most likely one of your O2 sensors.

You can buy diagnostic readers cheaply from places like eBay. I think Elm 327 is a popular one.

Many thanks for that, on reading through the massive folder of service history bills etc, it seems to have had a few 02 sensors in the past ,probably another needed,do they screw into the exhaust somewhere?if i keep driving it will it damage the car?

The sensors screw in. Depending on the engine, the 1.8 has 3 sensors, whilst the 2.0 has 4. What engine has your car got?

There are 2 pre-cat sensors which are accessed from the engine bay. The exhaust sensors are have to be accessed from under the car.

Look at the bills and get the part numbers and description of the sensors that were changed. Also how many changes were done?

Also you probably aware of the 1.8 having oil burning issue. Not all but some do.

The forum members who have experienced the engine will give you more answers.

Thanks again very helpful, i have ordered a Elm 327 , however the car is a 2.0 vvti petrol estate,a service bill recommendation dated 12/06/13 indicates a Lamba sensor (HO2) Bank 1,Sensor 2 requires replacement ,the latest service bill dated 15/10/13 has an advisory that eml light is on and a faulty Lamba sensor. There is no mention of any replacement.The latest mot last week when we collected the car had no advisories or mention of EML .

You could try putting some additive like Forte or BG in the tank, disconnect the Battery negative for a while (to clear the fault code) or use the ELM327, then get the engine really hot and go out for a fast drive in lower gears at high revs as this can clean the crud off the sensors. Driving the car on short trips on just a warm engine in traffic can cause your problem so the odd Italian tuneup can help to prevent/cure this.

Pete.

• Like 1

Thanks all your help, however yet another problem power steering gone very heavy ,this car could be going back to the dealer trouble it was purchased 150 miles away, this could be a leak its in at our local dealer for a recall on the fuel pump, however they now inform us of a power steering fault..great....there is a leak from the o/s front just to the inside of the front wheel ,its running down some pipes i assume ,from the the power steering pump,does anybody no were is the pump as i cant see it from the top of engine ...i have been in touch with our supplying dealer (we purchased 1st sept 2014 )he says nothing to do with them ,and he says we do not have any warranty. Trading standards tell us different,however they are 120 miles away. any suggestions ??

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links