Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Navigation System Not Activated!

LeahMDTT

Hi,

I am wondering if someone cld help me please.

I recently bought my Toyota yaris hybrid 64reg.

when i tried to use the navigation system it kept on saying Function not available then Navigation not available.

when i paid for this car i was not told that navigation wasn't included in the deal or anything to that so literally i assumed it has to come activated.

2 days ago i called the dealership and they told me that they "just didn't include it and that if i want it activated i have to pay extra £565.00"

my question is there any way i can get it activated somewhere a bit cheaper?

also does it use SD Cards like most cars? if so , where would i find it?

ps Its my first car ever, being a new driver please bear with me:)

your help is much appreciated and i thank you in advance

thank you:)

Hello Leah - welcome to Toyota Owners Club.

The Yaris Icon only comes with Toyota Touch 2 media system and doesn't include navigation. You can upgrade to the Touch 2 with Go Navigation - and presumably this is what you've been quoted for.

• Like 1

Hi, we take delivery of our new Yaris Hybrid a week today and one of the extras we specified was the Nav unit but that's the point. It IS an optional extra and by the way, it's not simply a case of "activation", it is actually an add on unit which fits behind the existing head unit. That's what the £565 is for (along with the map licences of course).

• Like 1

Wow! £565 for a sat nav. I could stick with my £3 AA map book from Aldi OR I could buy a top sat nav for way under £200. My sat nav cost £110 and gets me from A-B very well. Couldnt pay Yaris prices.

• Like 1

Thank you so much for your great help ,

i understand much more and its all clear now.

thank you ALL :clap:

Wow! £565 for a sat nav. I could stick with my £3 AA map book from Aldi OR I could buy a top sat nav for way under £200. My sat nav cost £110 and gets me from A-B very well. Couldnt pay Yaris prices.

HAHAHAHAHA you can say that again :)

Think yourself lucky you don't own a GT86! They want £750 for the same unit in that!! I've complained to Toyota GB about the ridiculous costs for their NAV units loads of times but it's in one ear and out of the other...

I suppose its a case "if someone is prepared to pay that sort of price then we will charge that price". Cant see that if the price is "reasonable" more people will but it, so although profit per unit is less, the increase in sales volume will more then make up for it.

IF I was to order this at £565 I would want a cast iron guarantee that map upgrades are included for the life of the vehicle. £565 is already too much, but lifetime guarantee would be a minimum to even make me think about buying the sat nav.

And is it a good sat nav? Not just looking pretty sat in the middle of the dashboard, but effective in use, fast processor, in a good position so sunlight not hitting it all the time etc etc

Toyota charge £565 for sat nav in the Yaris.

VW charge £700 for sat nav in the Polo.

When I saw the prices for Aygo and Yaris Sat Nav I thought "that's a good price for a manufacturer system" as traditionally they have been far higher :eek:

I can see why people would put a £200 stick on your windscreen system, personally, I much prefer an integrated version, despite the price

Integrated anythings always seem to be more expensive. We had an integrated (built-in) dishwasher that needed replacing. Not many manufacturers make them but of the ones that did the integrated version was always about £100 more than the same thing with a white case round it. Go figure that!

(I ended up buying a 'normal' one from a cheaper make at about half the cost and did a bit of carpentry on the kitchen to make it a 'slot-in'.)

• Like 2

My other half got caught the same way. She bought an ex-demo Yaris Hybrid, that had a lot of extras (panoramic roof etc, etc) and as I already had a Plug In Prius, I took one look at the Touch system, saw it had a "Nav" button and assumed it had sat nav.

Needless to say she was a bit upset when she got the car home and found that the nav button just gave a "system not installed" message. A quick spec check showed that this was an optional extra, as you've found. The add-on "Go" box is more than just the sat nav, though. It enables album art displays when playing music from USB, and allows more comprehensive searching (by title, artist, album etc). As a sat nav it is reasonably OK too, and being integrated into the car does make it easier to use and less unsightly than an add-on sat nav or spart phone on a bracket.

Yes, it is expensive, but if you shop around you can get it for less than Toyota charge. I bought a brand new "Go" unit, with current maps and all the cables, GPS antenna etc for £430. It was all of ten minutes work to fit and needed very little in the way of skill (just a plastic tool to help prise the dash panel off plus an 8mm socket and long extension to undo a few screws and re-fasten them). The add-on "Go" box worked straight off, and just needed ten minutes or so to get an initial fix and reset itself from the factory location in Germany (these units are made by Harman in Germany, so default to a German location until they get their first fix post-installation).

Once fitted the Yaris has full Touch and Go functionality, including proper album art displays, sat nav and added MP3 music selection functonailty from USB.

Yes, it is still expensive, but on balance I think it is probably worth it. My other half definitely thinks it was worth it!

• Like 2

My other half got caught the same way. She bought an ex-demo Yaris Hybrid, that had a lot of extras (panoramic roof etc, etc) and as I already had a Plug In Prius, I took one look at the Touch system, saw it had a "Nav" button and assumed it had sat nav.

Needless to say she was a bit upset when she got the car home and found that the nav button just gave a "system not installed" message. A quick spec check showed that this was an optional extra, as you've found. The add-on "Go" box is more than just the sat nav, though. It enables album art displays when playing music from USB, and allows more comprehensive searching (by title, artist, album etc). As a sat nav it is reasonably OK too, and being integrated into the car does make it easier to use and less unsightly than an add-on sat nav or spart phone on a bracket.

Yes, it is expensive, but if you shop around you can get it for less than Toyota charge. I bought a brand new "Go" unit, with current maps and all the cables, GPS antenna etc for £430. It was all of ten minutes work to fit and needed very little in the way of skill (just a plastic tool to help prise the dash panel off plus an 8mm socket and long extension to undo a few screws and re-fasten them). The add-on "Go" box worked straight off, and just needed ten minutes or so to get an initial fix and reset itself from the factory location in Germany (these units are made by Harman in Germany, so default to a German location until they get their first fix post-installation).

Once fitted the Yaris has full Touch and Go functionality, including proper album art displays, sat nav and added MP3 music selection functonailty from USB.

Yes, it is still expensive, but on balance I think it is probably worth it. My other half definitely thinks it was worth it!

aww thanks for the info ... i shall look into it and see whats worthy what ..:)

• 3 weeks later...

I have a question for you, did you buy a whole new head unit? Do you think it would work if I just bought the GPS antenna to add to my "touch" unit? I guess I would then have to buy the maps and possibly update the firmware also.

I have found a German website where I can just buy the GPS antenna, it'd be great if it worked.

No, the unit isn't a complete new head unit, nor is it just the GPS antenna. It's a thin add-on box that fits under the head unit on a couple of brackets and has some bridge connectors to connect to it, plus a GPS antenna that fits behind the dash in a small recess. It contains the GPS receiver, map database and some additional hardware that adds additional feature to the display (like album art from MP3 files played from the USB stick).

There's no firmware to load, the unit works straight out of the box once powered up, and should have the current maps set for the whole of Europe if it's bought new. The maps and firmware can be updated once the add-on Go box has been installed, when required, using a USB stick that has to be pre-initialised in the car, then the new map download can be purchased and loaded on to the USB stick which is then transferred back to the car and loaded in to the unit.

Great, thanks for the info! It Do you have a link to the part that I can have a look at?

All I could find was the installation manual on the Toyota site, here: http://www.toyota-tech.eu/aimuploads/%7B32348A0F-FC7E-DE46-0D5A-52AB12FFFC7E%7D/Yaris_Touch_and_Go_RHD_PZ490_00331_00_AIM_002_218_2.pdf

It's literally a five minute job to prise off the dash trim, undo four 8mm hex screws, remove the existing head unit, bolt on the add-on box to the bottom (using the supplied brackets), connect up a few cables, fit the GPS antenna in its recess and put the whole lot back together again. The only tools needed are a plastic trim lever (not essential, but it helps to avoid marking the dash trim when prising it off), an 8mm AF hex driver, and some rags to drape over the dash to avoid scratching anything when taking the head unit out.

Right, got it all sorted now. Thanks very much for the help!

When I ordered my 64 plate asked about the satnav but just to much money, picked up a used xxl tomtom for £45 with uk and Europe maps installed from CEX pleased

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Does anyone know where i could get the go box from and how much?

Thanks

From your Toyota dealer - cost is £565

• 1 month later...

Available from Kingo, includes GO unit and antenna required to turn your Touch unit into Touch and Go

Price £625 delivered INC carriage and VAT

Kingo :thumbsup:

• 6 years later...

I have just purchased a Toyata Chr and it says Navigation not available.  Any idea of what I can do. I have called Toyata and they are charging £1350 to install one.  I am so disappointed. 

Any Idea of what other cheaper options I can take?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links