Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2009 Auris Electrical Problems

Hi, I have a 2009 Toyota Auris with 1.8 2zr engine. I discovered some electrical problems, I will be driving with A/C and dim lights and when I turn on beam, it shuts down the car, or it restarts the radio and the lights dim on dash board for a bit. Based on my very little knowledge I doubt its the Battery as I would have starting problems and once the car is running, the Battery passes control to the alternator to maintain electronics onboard. I am wondering if this is due to a short for power loss or if I should check the altenator, also wondering if this engine has a distributor like older engines, hence the distributor cap should be checked. Has any one had this problem before ? HELP!? its out of warranty as well.

Hi Ger, electrical problems can be relatively simple or really difficult to self-diagnose. Short of someone on here having experienced exactly the same issue as you, I'd say the best bet would be to go to the dealers and get them to run a diagnostic check which would (hopefully) give you a Diagnostic Trouble Code but we all like to avoid that expense if possible.

Like you, I doubt it's the Battery but you could always do a few checks to make sure, start with the main Battery terminals and the chassis-to-earth lead, especially if it incorporates an in-line fuse. Also check your alternator drive belt tension.

I don't know if you've got any kind of manual but I've attached a Toyota DIY Maintenance manual for the 2009 Corolla with the 1.8 2AZ-FE engine which hopefully has some commonality with yours. Page 21 covers the Battery.

I'd also recommend pulling and re-setting some of the fuses, especially the following:

Engine Compartment Fuse Box: Starts page 51 of the manual

Fuse# 6 (120 amp) charging system.

Fuse# 25 ECU-1B (10 amp) Main Body ECU and meters.

Fuse# 26 RAD No 1 (15 amp) Audio System.

Fuse# 28 AMP (30 amp) Audio System.

Fuse Box under the Instrument Panel: Page 54.

Fuse# 19 ECU-1G No 1 (10 amp) Main Body ECU.

Pull the fuses ONE AT A TIME, clean them up if necessary and reseat them securely. Might not do any good but it's worth a try.

DIY Maintenace.pdf

No probs Ger, hope it goes OK. One thing I forgot to mention was when you're doing the Battery checks put a voltmeter across the Battery terminals with the engine off. You should get at least a 12 volt reading. Then get somebody to start the engine and take it up to about 1700 revs and hold it. Your Battery voltage should rise to about 14 volts.

I believe you were looking for a manual for your stereo so I've attached one, don't know whether it does yours or not.

Stereo Manual.pdf

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links