Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auris Head Gasket Failure - Second Time!

GaryBH

I have not posted before, but feel aggrieved and need to vent my frustration.

My Auris, 2.o D4-D T Spirit had a head gasket failure at 60,000 miles. This required a new engine as according to what my garage told me there was a chemical reaction taking place in the combustion chamber which caused the gasket material to fail. Toyota paid for the repairs which involved a complete new engine with redesigned pistons, cylinder head and gasket material.

The car has now done 169,000 miles and the head gasket appears to have failed again. Water is pumping out the overflow.

I am very upset about this and now am wondering what my next move should be.

I am tempted to go back to the Toyota dealer and have a moan about it, but I feel that I will not get very far.

I like the car very much and would like to keep it, but I am aware that it may not be cost effective to keep it.

Anyone have a view on this that they would like to share?

Has anyone changed a head gasket themselves on this model car?

Hope to hear from you.

Thanks.

Gary

If the engine was replaced under Toyota's 7 year/111,000 mile goodwill warranty the car is now well outside the warranty period at 169,000 miles - see http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/132178-charliefarlies-guide-to-the-toyota-2ad-diesel-engine-and-its-issues/

To be honest, I dont think Toyota will do anything because you have done 109k miles since last head gasket and gaskets only last about 80-100k miles anyway. I think its just bad luck but you can have a go at trying Toyota, you might have some luck.

out of interest was the "new" engine a rebuild by the dealer or was it supplied by Toyota as a complete replacement unit?

It's usually more than just a gasket replacement required & Toyota says that these heads should not be skimmed although you could always try your luck.

Tbh at 169,000 I think that you would be pushing it - what other volume manufacturer guarantees their engine for that?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links