Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Replacement Belt

lee barry

I just noticed the belt which runs the alternator etc had started fraying,is this a easy fix,thanks in advance.

The belt may be running out of alignment somewhere. The usual problem with the belt is cracks appearing in the multi Vs on the underside

If you feel that your belt needs changing it pays to change the tensioner pulley at the same time

To fit the new belt can be tricky if you do not study the way it runs around the pulleys before removing the old one.

Del

• Like 1

I read a post on one of the Toyota forums (can't remember which now) that indicated that DIY replacement is a bit of a PITA. On the other hand Mr.T isn't cheap.

We had one snap at about 70K miles on the 02-reg we had a couple of years back; it immobilised the vehicle and since these belts are not a normal service item, it was off road for a few days - fortunately we had Club Toyota so recovery was easy and a replacement car was provided. However it did teach me a lesson to have the belt replaced on each of the second-hand RAVs that we've bought since. It is not a service item but I believe it should be.

I would reckon on 5 years for replacement to be on the safe side although this is purely my gut opinion and is not based on any mechanical evaluation.

• Like 1

I changed the belt on mine and as mentioned it is not a simple drop off/drop on as you have to take the pressure off the tensioner to put the belt on. I had my son taking the strain on top whilst I threaded the belt on under the wheel arch after removing the wheel.

Del

• Like 1

thanks for your replys,altho im confident at doing certain repairs,having never done one before,think ill leave it to a mechanic to be on the safe side,many thanks.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links