Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Special Order From Toyota Uk

Silverton

In July this year my Auris 1.6 Colour Collection with reach three years at which point I might look to change it for a new one.

To get the spec I want means going for the Icon Plus which has some good features but also privacy glass which I really don't like.

Question - being UK built can one place a special order so that the privacy glass wasn't fitted?

Many thanks for any ideas.

I could be wrong but I do not think this would approved at Toyota as this would deviate from the factory standard spec. I once was told that this is called "mis-speccing" the vehicle when I wanted my new car to come with a tape deck rather than a CD player. Gives you an idea how long ago this was.

You dealer will probably ask you to buy the lower specced Icon which does not have the privacy glass and a lot of other more useful items like folding mirrors, cruise control, heated seats and sat nav.

Even if you changed the windows at your dealership, it would cost a lot (taking the trim put off the rear doors to install them is a 2 hour job alone) and 2 glass panes are about £200 in total. The insurance company could class this as a modification and could increase your premium as the Icon + is intended to be sold with this glass.

I have the Excel and that too has this ghastly black glass and I think it looks naff.

Why don't you ask the dealer whether the privacy tint is a laminate film application - which it probably is. In which case, the dealer could probably strip the laminate off at a cost. You would need to inform your insurance as it is a deviation from the standard spec.

Used to have a 1.6SR 2008 and that had privacy glass on for the rear side windows. On closer inspection I found that it was a film applied to the inside of the glass and would imagine that it could be removed fairly easily.

Wish I'd seen this earlier. My wife took delivery of her Edition+ last Friday.

Delighted with it BUT it's meant to have privacy glass which we wanted and our car has been delivered without it.

Dealer has been really good about it and is swapping the glass out.

Bonus: The car was registered 30 Jan 2015 and does not have TPMS. Contacted Toyota and this is OK regardless as to what you read online about ALL new cars having to have TPMS as standard. I guess the 6 May 2013 EU Type Approval was only a face lift which allows Toyota to fall back on the original type approval in 2006/7.

According to Toyota GB, when the second generation was introduced in December 2012, it carried forward the first generation's Type Approval which dated back to 2007.

Hi,

If you find that you were having any difficulties with privacy glass with your insurance then please feel free to drop me a line.

Regards,

Dan.

This spec is only for your country or region. As this privacy glass is only as an option here. The best way for you is to go to the dealer and ask for an offer. You are not getting the car online so talking to the seller can make a lot of difference. If they can't match the price then go to another dealer and another dealer. Or you can weight for some easter promotions.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links