Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis Sunroof (moonroof) Problem

gmcgrane

Perfect advice - saved me a load of hassle!

very good post thanks..

If u are using the 'ignition' trick, it seems to work best if you hold the auto close button in while you start up the ignition again after switching off during auto-close..

best of luck with this one - i just drove 200 miles through the night with my sunroof jammed open.. no fun..but luckily no rain...

Hi all,

Found this forum yesterday and am I glad I did. I was suffering the Sunroof problem on my recently acquired Avensis. The roof would suddenly only close 3/4's of the way, if you then pressed the switch again it would close but not come up at the back end and lock. It had been like this for a week (Lucky it didnt rain) So my Avensis was ready to go to the Local Dealership, who I had contacted about the problem, the guy told me that this was a common fault and that the solution would be a complete strip out, ie, roof lining then sunroof etc and I would be looking at "quite a few hundred quid" So I got searching on the net and found this thread. Having had a read I went out to the car, switched on the ignition, moved the sunroof right back, hit the switch to auto close and then turned the ignition off whilst the roof was moving. I apprehensively swithched the igniton back on and tried to close the roof, Hey Presto, it worked, so a massive :thumbsup: for this forum and a :censor: for my local Toyota dealership, who, I assume would have done the same as me to sort it and charged me a huge amount for the privilege.

THANKS FOR THE ADVICE PEEPS!

I have just had the "jammed open" sunroof problem on my 99 Avensis GS and found the manual useless too. Rushed out to buy a Haynes manual before the rains came which was equally unhelpful.

Came on here and found this thread- followed the good advice and hey presto, problem cured.

My wife said "didn't you check it out on the internet first?"

Nothing like being told "I told you so".

I have to say though that the open/ close the driver's door thing seems to crop up on lots of threads for curing/ resetting different problems. I'd never have even considered it unless I'd read about it on here. Makes you wonder how much of Toyota's workshop time charged at £60 an hour is spent opening and closing the door as opposed to doing real mechanical repairs.

(No offence Toyota techies- you know your stuff but I know you don't earn half the £60 p/h)

Great advice , great forum. Thanks again!

• 4 weeks later...

I have just experienced the same problem on a HiAce - it's a 1994 model, and the only difference is that it does not have the "auto-close" button. Otherwise it seems to have played out the same way - roof will only close about 10cm, which I think is how it was closed when the ignition was turned off (my daughter learning to drive, while other kids in the back playing with sunroof ;-)

Anyway, I tried all the steps described by others, but without having the "autoclose" I need to manually push the "close" button at front or back (tried both). Then after ignition's turned off I turned on again - pressed the "close button but it has not moved a bit..! If anyone knows how to deal with the problem without the "auto-close" button please let me know. Otherwise I'll keep trying few things and also post solution if I find one.

• 3 years later...

Geoffaxford you are a legend. I've been running round different garages trying to solve the same problem. Sunroof wouldn't close that last inch and sit within the roof. Followed you instructions and now it's running perfectly. Gotta love this forum.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links