Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Prius Or Auris

kevin h

Need a new car, been running a prius for nearly 6 yrs but what shall i get? Another pruis or an Auris. Current car is great on fuel, will the auris really be as good?

Probably not, but the difference in fuel costs will be insignificant when set against all the other costs of car ownership

• Like 1

Mmm, going to get one or the other, but currently getting around 65 in the Prius in this cold weather. not sure how the Auris would compare as there are not many drivers who seam to be getting good MPG.

I was in the same position as yourself 6 months ago....if you look at a set year,say 2012 3 years old, and spec, say t spirt....you`ll pay much less for a Auris than for a Prius...I think the Auris is slightly shorter and slightly less slippery through the air....but the dash layout is a regular layout, info is scrolled through rather than the prius dash layout, and they look like a normal hatch back, though I don`t think that bothers any Prius drivers......but the big one for me was saving £thousands on the purchase price...£12000 for a 3yr old prius, I paid £8000 for a 3yr old Aruis t-spirit

Need a new car, been running a prius for nearly 6 yrs but what shall i get? Another pruis or an Auris. Current car is great on fuel, will the auris really be as good?

If fuel consumption is your main thing, go for the Prius, the Auris is not as good.

Also depends on your preference for modern gizmos.

I bought a top of the range Yaris in 2011 with Multimode gearbox, after 9 years in Gen 1&2 Prius. To my horror, when it arrived, they'd gone back to old fashioned dials for speedo, rev counter etc, although the Yaris I was loaned not many months earlier still had the lovely digital dash.

Over the year I had the car I found I absolutely couldn't live with the old dials, or for that matter, with an ordinary engine! An expensive mistake as I lost over £7k on it in that one year!

So I traded for a Prius (ex-demo in this case) and couldn't be (much) happier. OK, not everyone loves the digital dials, but after driving with them for well over 300,000 miles since 2000, personally I just couldn't go back.

Also, the Prius has a heads up display, which projects your speed, and optionally, the ECO gauge, onto the road ahead. I thought this would be a bit of an interesting gimmick, but after 2½ years with it it's another thing I never want to be without again. It really helps make a journey even less stressful; as there's much less refocusing of the eyes, and a much shorter time not scanning for hazards while monitoring speed (which a fair number of people don't seem to do any more!).

Prius every time unless you prefer a smaller car. Prius is more economical and has more room and boot space.

The Prius will have more room than the Auris - wheelbase is larger at 2700mm (same size as the Avensis) compared to the Auris at 2600mm, and the Prius is longer by 205mm.

In terms of size the current Prius fits in between the Auris and Avensis.

I think, the next generation Prius will move up to the next market sector to provide Toyota with a hybrid in that sector to sell alongside the Avensis petrol/diesel models - especially as Toyota have said they won't be having an Avensis hybrid.

The Prius will have more room than the Auris - wheelbase is larger at 2700mm (same size as the Avensis) compared to the Auris at 2600mm, and the Prius is longer by 205mm.

In terms of size the current Prius fits in between the Auris and Avensis.

I think, the next generation Prius will move up to the next market sector to provide Toyota with a hybrid in that sector to sell alongside the Avensis petrol/diesel models - especially as Toyota have said they won't be having an Avensis hybrid.

I hope they don't move up too much in size, the current Prius is just the right size as far as I can see.

All they have to do with the new Prius is:

Sort out the dash, keep the HUD and digital display but, but reduce the amount of plastic!

Make it even more economical.

Extend the Battery range.

Find a way of having a spare wheel.

Then just revamp the look so you recognise it as a new Prius!

• Like 1

Many original Prius owners were horrified when the Gen 2 was launched in 2004 that it was so much larger, and lost a few things that many Gen 1 owners liked, such as a full size alloy spare wheel, two rear fog lights, two reversing lights, high quality interior, most comfy seats of any Prius, most comfortable suspension of any Prius.

That it managed the same mpg in most user's hands was a bonus though, and being a hatchback with a rear wiper was welcome too.

Many of us thought it would have been better to have updated the Gen 1 model and brought out a second model for the bigger car segment.

24 hr tesr drive of Auris Excel Hybrid. Struggling ti stay above 62 mpg, my 59 plare Prius returns 68 for the same journeys. One very annoying thing is that reverse beeping, can it be turned of like in the Prius. It is awful. Might have to get a new Prius

Probably not, but the difference in fuel costs will be insignificant when set against all the other costs of car ownership

not quite sure I'd agree with "insignificant" - depends on how much it is driven.

My 2nd Prius, that I owned from 2002-2011 consumed over £13,000 worth of unleaded. Had I kept my previous 1.8 auto Volvo V40 for that mileage it would have drunk nearer to £30k worth, and even the 1.0 Micra auto my partner had at the time would have consumed an extra £4,000 or so.

Over the 160,000 miles or so, the depreciation, maintenance and other running costs were also tiny compared to very other car I've owned (adjusting for inflation), whether viewing it by mile or month.

• Like 1

My company Prius has to go back later this year, and I have ruled out another. Too big for my needs, and I have been disappointed by the build quality. But I wouldn't have anything other than a hybrid to replace it.

So I'm going to downgrade to either an Auris Excel HSD or — believe it or not — a Yaris Excel HSD.

Main issue for me is being 6'4". Surprisingly, both the Auris and Yaris suit a taller driver better than the Prius (the Yaris is particularly surprising in this regard). The Yaris has just had a pretty significant makeover, the Auris is due one, but not before I have to change. Head says Yaris is too much of a compromise, heart says I couldn't live with the awful interior in the Auris!

I do very little mileage, so my term on company cars is 4 years. It's always a big decision.

Given Toyota's life cycles of approx 6 years, the Auris will reach it's mid life stage around December 2015. It had an adjustment of specs last summer.

However, if it is due to receive the 1.6 BMW diesel engine, and in light of it being a reworking of the first generation , the mid life review may occur sooner.

My company Prius has to go back later this year, and I have ruled out another. Too big for my needs, and I have been disappointed by the build quality. But I wouldn't have anything other than a hybrid to replace it.

So I'm going to downgrade to either an Auris Excel HSD or — believe it or not — a Yaris Excel HSD.

Main issue for me is being 6'4". Surprisingly, both the Auris and Yaris suit a taller driver better than the Prius (the Yaris is particularly surprising in this regard). The Yaris has just had a pretty significant makeover, the Auris is due one, but not before I have to change. Head says Yaris is too much of a compromise, heart says I couldn't live with the awful interior in the Auris!

I do very little mileage, so my term on company cars is 4 years. It's always a big decision.

Have you considered a Lexus CT?

Yes, but the reviews are so terrible, I quickly ruled it out. And I'd have to cough a few extra quid for one, which I'm not prepared to do.

I think it's still worth a look, you can get them for less then the Prius now.

I never take much notice of motoring reviews, nobody would drive anything other then German cars if we listened to reviews, I'm sure you would be impressed if you drove a CT.

• Like 1

Maybe, but one of the worst aspects of the Prius is the ride quality, and the consensus is the CT is even worse.

The Auris, in contrast, is generally praised for its ride.

I always wonder about what 'ride quality' is. Is it sporty handling? If so, then the Prius sucks. Is it a soft gentle and comfortable ride? If so, then the Prius excels.

When I used my Prius as a taxi I was always commented on how comfortable the car was to be a passenger in.

I think the motoring journos concentrate too much on chucking a car around a track and being an enthusiastic driver, rather than how most people drive a car and what many want in a car, namely comfort.

And the Prius isn't that bad. Sure the steering's numb at the limits, but so are many Japanese family cars. I also think it's the tyres. Since I've fitted Bridgestone EP001S's, I've found the Prius is transformed and can really be chucked about more than you'd imagine.

I prefer a compliant ride to a sporty one. But I've always found the Prius a bit on the harsh side. I presume it's the 17" alloys. Of course, every time it crashes over a bump, everything inside rattles like a tea tray full of crockery, which probably makes it seem worse than it actually is.

• Like 1

Must be those low profile tyres and them there flashy alloy wheels then.

Mine doesn't rattle like a box of crockery, more like that persistant and annoying plastic creaking between the two parts of the dash and also the arm rest lid.

Must be a case of style over function. A lot depends on the tyre themselves as some have hard side walls and some too soft.

I have owned 3 PriusT Spirit cars a Gen 2 and two gen 3s. I know early gen 3s had rattle problems but I have never had that problem. On long journeys our Gen 2 and Gen 3s are all a joy to drive and comfortable. All my passengers remark on how comfortable the car is. My son has had a Gen2 and a now a gen 3. He drives across France to the French Alps regularly and he is of the same opinion as me. His business customers and friends also like his car. I also find the Prius more comfortable than my previous Avensis and Volvo Estate.

I agree with GC about motoring journos.

• Like 1

Everyone's opinion on how comfortable a car is will probably vary a bit, but certainly I've found the all versions of the Prius to be comfortable - I've driven almost 170,000 miles in the original Gen 1 ("Classic") Prius, well over 50,000 in the Gen 2, and about 35,000 in Gen 3 (mostly post 2012 facelift).

In my view, the Gen 1 was was bordering on luxurious, both for ride comfort and seat comfort (and was the best trimmed interior too). The Gen 2 was by no means bad, but a bit of a shock (literally!) after the first generation, with stiffer suspension and firmer seats. I heard from one or two people who upgraded and really didn't like the comfort of the Gen 2, but most were happy with it, especially if they'd never been spoiled by the original.

The third generation sits somewhere between the two, with those on 15" wheels (T3, plugin, and early T-Spirits with the solar roof) being better - however, some drivers, particularly some taxi drivers (that I've worked with - not referring specifically to anyone here!) run higher than specified tyre pressures to boost mpg, which will have a detrimental effect on ride. When the Gen 3 got a facelift for 2012, I'm told they stiffened the chassis a little, which may have improved things further. Certainly, my current 2012 T3 doesn't normally suffer from rattles.

Even without changing the wheel size, choice of tyre can make a difference too. I changed all four tyres over the last year from the stock Bridgestones to Dunlop and as well as being quieter they improved the ride quality a little too. Conversely, when I had winter tyres swapped onto the same 15" alloys, both noise levels and ride quality worsened very slightly (and mpg too!).

Our new 2014 Prius is fitted with TOYO tyres. They seem OK with regard to ride etc. I have always had michelins previously.

After 3 years with a new Prius T-Spirit, I switched to an Auris Excel. The Auris fuel consumption is more than the Prius, I'm only getting about 52mpg this winter.

But the ride of the Auris is far superior. I didn't notice the roll in the Prius when cornering, but after switching to the Auris, it handles so well around corners and the steering although light, goes in exactly the direction you point it. It is reassuringly positive to drive and suffer far fewer bottom clenching moments when squeezing through small gaps.

I've grown to like the interior. It did take a bit getting used to going back to dials, but the leather stitched dash covering and layout is very liveable with.

With pothole Britain, even with 17" wheels, she is so quiet over lumps and bumps. I get no noise from the interior plastics even on the worst potholes.

Maybe it is due to the glass roof option (no metal roof to boom), but it is much quieter than the Prius.

Leg room in the back is less than the Prius, but nobody has complained to me.

It is only slightly cheaper to purchase than the base Prius, but do not see moving to an Auris as a downward step. It has exactly the same 1.8 Hybrid set up as the Prius, it isn't so aerodynamic (and the bonnet is unbelievably heavy to lift compared to a Prius), but it makes it a very solidly built car. I don't regret the move at all. In fact, I'd highly recommend it.

The only downside is the mpg. But I guess that's the price you pay for a more traditional solidly built car.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links