Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Newbie - My Toyota Ownership Hasn't Started Too Well.....

davecalv

Hi

I'm Dave - 65 next month - live between Southampton and Salisbury.

Love driving and had Japanese cars from 1995 to 2008 - Supra (1990 model), 3 Imprezas, 2 Nissan 200s, Nissan 300, Honda CRX Del Sol - loved them all - great performers with excellent reliability did about 20,000 to 25,000 miles a year..

2008 to date had a skoda octavia then a renault trafic - ok cars but not in the same league as the japanese ones.

So decided to go Japanese again

After several weeks of investigation and discussions with the garage that maintains my cars, bought a 2005 Avensis spirit estate 2L manual petrol (84k) yesterday - the garage had it MOT'd yesterday - sailed through no advisories.

Joined this User Group yesterday as always thought it added to the ownership experience

Picked it up today, filled it with petrol, taxed it, insured it and drove it the 20 miles to where I work - love it

This evening drove it home (3 miles) love it even more

THEN

Decided to go for a drive this evening to try out all the facilities - and the Engine Management light is on......

So, left it for a bit then started it again, EM light still on.

Tried it twice more - still on

SO

I guess tomorrow I will talk to the garage that supplied it - could be an interesting conversation.

I am optimistic it's easily resolved - but its a worry!

In the meantime any advice on what I should or shouldn't do would be most welcome.

Dave

Hello David - welcome to Toyota Owners Club.

Any other symptoms aside from the engine management light?

No

Everything else seems OK

Drove it for about a mile to see if it was a glitch

What other symptoms should I look fo?

Dave

imo there isn't much that you can do until you get it code read to find out what has triggered the EML.

Got it sorted

My local garage plugged into their computer thingy and found the problem immediately

Apparently an Oxygen Lamda sensor failed and had to be replaced which was done under warranty

My garage had a good look at the car up on the ramp and said it's in pretty good shape - so that's a relief

Now to read the manuals and figure out how everything works....

Dave

• Like 1

good result, One thing to watch out for on the VVTI's is the oil level, they do tend to drink a bit of oil.

didn't think that the 2.0ls did, only 1.8s?

nah 2.0 too I know of one, you dont hear much as common

but even on honest johns website

Early 1.8 and 2.0 litre VVT-i engines can start to use up to a litre of oil every 600 miles after 40,000 miles due to a bore liner problem and/or being fitted with slightly undersize pistons. By February 2009 Toyota had extended the warranty on these engines to 6 years or 100,000 miles. Cars built from July 2005 should not have this problem.

Apparently its chain not cam belt so important not to let oil level go too low.

Having now had it for a couple of days I'm even more impressed by levels of equipment.

Also build quality is amazing, heavy doors that feel like there's actually some substance to them.

Somewhat amazing is that Radio aerial takes up whole of one of rear side windows.

I forgot that Japanese actually know how to build quality cars

Somewhat amazing is that Radio aerial takes up whole of one of rear side windows

I thought the radio ariel was part of the rear window demister element?

Apparently its chain not cam belt so important not to let oil level go too low.

Having now had it for a couple of days I'm even more impressed by levels of equipment.

Also build quality is amazing, heavy doors that feel like there's actually some substance to them.

Somewhat amazing is that Radio aerial takes up whole of one of rear side windows.

I forgot that Japanese actually know how to build quality cars

Yes your right it is chain cam, so regular oil changes are a must if you want to look after her :thumbsup:

one of my favourites is the folding door mirrors and I love the leather seats

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links