Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Should I Buy A Rav4?

dorsettoyota

Hello I am new to this forum and wanted to get some advice. I am changing my job and will be required to drive around the UK on and off road a lot. When I say off road I mean proper off road, going across fields, muddy gateways, farm lanes etc then back on motorways/dual carriageways etc doing about 25k miles a year. I have had a few suggestions like a Freelander 2 (which by all accounts is very good but expensive), Landcruiser (but too big and thirsty), Subaru etc. I wonder if people have had experience of this sort of useage and what sort of things go wrong on RAV4s that I should look out for when buying.

Thanks

I would keep Land rover out the picture, very unreliable cars. Subaru is a good shot, seen a few estates do very well on off road terrain my self and then saw this on Youtube. Have a look at this too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqQzU-q8S2o. Skip to 2:10.

The RAV4 has an excellent 4wd and intelligent traction control system so it will comfortably cope with "going across fields, muddy gateways, farm lanes etc. and then back on motorways / dual carriageways" - it's a good compromise 'soft roader'. If you need to do proper off road work - i.e. ford rivers, traverse rocks and bolder fields, cross swamps, deal with canyon-like ruts etc. - then you'd do better to stick with the Landcruiser ...

rav4 is spot on for this type of stuff

and thats on road tyres!! this is with an older permanent 4wd rav.

• Like 1

Subaru diesels pre the late 2011/early 2012 facelift have major engine issues including EGR valves - but much worse: Broken crankshafts. It appears to be a design/manufacturing issue. There will be NO help from Subaru..

Basically a new engine is £11k. And second hand £4-5k. Plus labour..

I test drove a Forester and the change from 1st to 2nd gear when cold was abysmal.

Anyone buying an elderly used one needs luck.

rav4 is spot on for this type of stuff

and thats on road tyres!! this is with an older permanent 4wd rav.

Great clip Sich1 are you running Geolandar ATS G012 Tyres ?

no, they are std dueller 687's! so not even got a very aggresive tread pattern. the g012 tyre is the one that will go

on the rav b4 next winter though and should give exceptional grip for the soft roading i do..as per clip.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links