Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Owner! Loving The Rav4 But Have A Question Re Braking And Knoc

Thetoothfairy

Hi all

I'm a new owner of a 2011 RAV4 which has done about 40k. It has been driving just fine but today developed, after about 100 miles, a strange sort of knocking or clicking sound when I press the brakes...it seems to happen at speeds of 35mph or less. I don't know what it is, but it is fairly irritating and I wondered if anyone else has had this issue and whether you managed to resolve it. It's loud enough for all the passengers in the car to hear. I'm new to Toyota and have never heard this sort of noise when breaking before,

Thanks in advance

sounds like the pads moving in the caliper if its a single click when you first apply the brakes not sure what the knock is though.

Hi.

Sorry i don't know the answer to this question, perhaps someone else will know, are the pads supposed to have a retaining clip top and bottom or are they just a snug fit in the pad carrier?

Mike.

Thanks both.,,it is probably more a click or pop than a knock so perhaps it is what you suggest. We will have Iooked at and see what the dealer says. It sounds like it shouldn't be doing it though!

Hi Alison

I am guessing either the pads should have a sprung clip to stop the pad moving in the carrier OR the pads have been replaced with non Toyota ones and they are just a bit shorter making the pad move. I think you need to go to a parts dep't at a main dealer and ask them about clips......they often get left off because mechanics forget to fit them/too lazy or if your car is not supposed to have clips them but a genuine set of Toyota pads 'should' cure the problem.....but all i can say is talk to a parts man at your local main dealer. I have a 2012 Rav4 and the same shape as yours and my pads are silent so i feel your car can be 'mended'.

Do let us know the end result, i am interested in this one.

Good luck, Mike.

Thanks for that Mike, that's really helpful and good to know that it should in fact be silent, we are on hols right now but will go to the main dealer on our return, equipped with some good info

• 1 year later...

I realise this is a rather delayed response...just thought I'd finally update to say that the problem was caused by the brake pad clips on one side being installed upside down! Was all sorted and has been fine ever since 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links