Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

After Ideas/how Tos For My Brothers T180

Stevmo

My brother has just taken possession of a very lovely 08 T180 hatch and he is very smitten with it. However one thing he would very much like as I am doing it to my 03 mondeo is that the power folding mirrors operate on the remote locking. Is there a how to for doing this if anyones done it before?

Also anything I need to specifically look out for on the 2.2 Dcat T180 engine. Has FSH and 104k. Had new clutch etc done recently as well and dealer had the alloys refurbished.

post-147478-0-66325100-1428233390_thumb.post-147478-0-48517700-1428233389_thumb.post-147478-0-34603900-1428233391_thumb.post-147478-0-66810000-1428233388_thumb.post-147478-0-05603700-1428233390_thumb.post-147478-0-99887600-1428233387_thumb.post-147478-0-46425700-1428233387_thumb.

you should be aware of the potential head/headgasket issues that can occur in the 1AD/2AD diesels. If you read the Basic FAQs by diesel drivers at the head of the forum you will find a link to an old TSB detailing it.

Only a small % of them seem to develop it but it's a very expensive fix & your brother's car may be outside of Toyota's extended goodwill warranty.

you should be aware of the potential head/headgasket issues that can occur in the 1AD/2AD diesels. If you read the Basic FAQs by diesel drivers at the head of the forum you will find a link to an old TSB detailing it.

Only a small % of them seem to develop it but it's a very expensive fix & your brother's car may be outside of Toyota's extended goodwill warranty.

Did look in to that issue which seems to only affect models up to 2007. As this is 08 outside of the likely issue area but I'm handy with the spanners anyway ;)

No, for an Avensis it potentially affects production up until February 2009.

Handy with the spanners doesn't really help (Toyota says that the head should not be skimmed) - the approved fix is a replacement 3/4 exchange engine which is not available as a retail part. New engine = £££s

• Like 2

well that will somewhat s*** on his parade as he rather loves his new car. Other than potentially needing an engine, anything else to watch for and any info on subtle upgrades?

subtle upgrades in what way?

You can add a tuning box for more power/torque & depending upon driving style potentially better mpg (never be wonderful because of the 5th injector).- Lindop Toyota & Tunit seem good but not the cheapest. Insurance company should be informed & may adjust his premium accordingly.

You can improve brake performance & feel with a change in disc/pad from oem (tbh different pads alone would probably work but I needed new discs anyway). I used MTEC discs with Ferodo Premier pads & was happy but other brands are available.

You can improve exterior lighting with uprated bulbs (pain to get at them though. I like Philips XtremeVision but Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited also popular). You can get rid of the "fried egg" indicator bulbs by replacing with something like Silver Vision & you can switch interior bulbs to LED if you like.

You can lower with a new set of springs if you want.

Some of the TTE parts like the mesh sports grill are probably still available.

Anything else?

As it's a diesel with a DPF hopefully he isn't going to do lots of short journeys (btw these engines are known to take a long time to reach optimum working temp.). A good blast every so often to give the DPF a chance to regenerate recommended.

Also worth considering using premium (or certainly not supermarket) diesel & the occasional addition of something like BG244 or Archoil 6400D.

(p.s. when they replaced the clutch did they also replace the DMF?)

light window tint

low dust brake pad to keep wheels good

get better tyres next time round

Cheers for the feedback

The DMF was also replaced yes. I checked that in the paper work as I have experience with the wonderful Mondeo diesels.

Already running with fuel additive but I can't remember which one we have now as I was sent the diesel version when I ordered a petrol one and its been sat in my garage for 18 months so gave it to him :)

Already made a start on upgrade lights. Has LEDs in side lights and will be ordering very bright LED bulbs for the rest (friend of mine supplies them so get good price), K&N panel filter arrived today, has upgrade bulbs in dipped (my hands suffered for that).

Lowering would not be the best idea with my brother as once in his old (now mine) mondeo he was asked how he'd lowered it as it was just the height this chap was looking for and was rather disappointed when we said standard, we're just fat...

He is planning to have it tinted when he has the money and tyres are definately on the hit list as budgets on the front and I hate them with a passion.

Will probably look at doing Brembo Discs and pads when needed as thats what I use as they cool over 30% more efficiently than standard, low brake dust and you get to say you have brembos :D

DPF I would love to just remove but thanks to new MOT rules cant. Same with de-cat as I remember the difference de-catting my old Mondeo TDDi had on that as well as difference on my old BMW 530d (I have had a varied collection of past cars which includes 2 corollas).

He's more interested in gadgets as he's cooing about finding out the OE sat nav system has DAB built in.

It does have dealer extras like the wind deflectors, bumper guard, roller blind for back seat and the mud guards and is a very nice example as we saw a few.

If I'm honest not really sure what else he wants. He just really wants the power folds to work with remote locking like mine will do when I replace front door looms (thats for a different reason but my powerfolds wont work unless I do)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links