Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Cruise Control, Unrefined?

Berisford

I wonder if I might have a faulty cruise control on our 2014 1,33 CVT Yaris.

It seems very unrefined, clunky, Tonka toy(ish) in its operation.

I find it only suitable for flat motorway work as any sort of incline causes problems.

What happens is the system seems to take too long to recognise that the vehicle is slowing, either because of an incline or because the power has been off running down hill. Being a CVT, when the 'cruise' device eventually detects a slowing (maybe 2-3mph) the gearbox goes into a much lower gear ratio, the revs rise dramatically and we shoot up and past the 'set' speed and thus the procedure starts all over again.

I have a 'work-around' that helps a little and that's to put the box into manual mode (7th) once up to speed, however, that brings other quirks into the system and the whole point of the cruise / auto combination is to make driving a little less stressful.

Our other vehicle (Golf auto) and indeed all of the vehicles I've had in the past with cruise control have never displayed this problem.

So, does anyone else have similar concerns about their cruise control behaviour, or do I seem to have a faulty unit?

BJ Nottingham

I have a 2014 1.33 petrol Yaris. I don't use the c.c. much but when I do it definitely does not behave the same as you describe. The car's speed remains constant. On an up incline a lower ratio is usually selected and the engine revs, do rise. Not dramatically though and the speed stays as set.

So, in comparison to mine, yours seems to be not working correctly.

• Like 1

Not a direct comparison I know as mine is a Yaris Hybrid but it's transmission/cruise control works in a similar way and my experience matches Peter's more closely in use. Perhaps yours is set just a little less aggressively in the ECU settings that control it? (Cruise Control has its own ECU) Either way, it's going to have to be a trip to the dealer for adjustments... As a rough guide, mine starts to react almost instantly when a drop in speed is detected. It's certainly not "2-3 mph" for sure.

• Like 1

(Cruise Control has its own ECU)

Interesting that this is the case. Seems a bit backwards of Toyota to do this, and also means they fit the ECU in all models regardless? As I'm assuming, if like the Prius, its just a matter of fitting the switch in those Yaris without CC fitted in order to get it operational.

Not sure about the answer to that question but there are a total of 15 ECUs in a Yaris Hybrid...

post-126463-0-59282900-1433275614_thumb.

Here's the data screen for the Cruise Control ECU out of Techstream...

post-126463-0-56615200-1433275680_thumb.

Here is the customisable options screen... (note the lack of anything related to C.C.)

post-126463-0-57112600-1433275760_thumb.

Haven't delved that deep just yet...

• Like 1

Interesting, to be honest 15 isn't uncommon in most modern CANbus controlled vehicles.

My last car, a 2008 Fiat Bravo had similar, including an ECU in each door to control its functions, one for the HID headlights etc.

I normally expect CC to be controlled by the body computer, it may in the above case be a node within the body computer rather than a separate ECU, although your software indicates its a separate ECU like you say.

Out of interest what software is that? Is it available on the domestic market?

It's Toyota's in-house Techstream Software that they use at the dealerships. It's available on the net in various places (although Toyota probably don't like that!).

• Like 3

It's Toyota's in-house Techstream Software that they use at the dealerships. It's available on the net in various places (although Toyota probably don't like that!).

You could say that! I have just paid €7,000 for a new one :angry:

That is outrageous! Oh dear... :( What planet are they on charging so much for just a piece of software?! Don't suppose that €7000 was for a complete rig including interface cable? Even if it is, it's still way over the top price wise...

I suppose its the cost of genuine licensed software. Someone has had to develop it.

Its a shame that no-one has made / developed an equivalent domestic version. I know for Fiat group vehicles there is MultiECUscan (formally FiatECUscan). Free, or 50Euro for a licensed version, which does everything the main dealers examiner unit does, including canbus proxy alignments etc. A worthy investment at that price in my opinion.

Indeed, someone has to develop it but, unless you are talking about a multi-platform operating system developed from scratch, no APPLICATION that runs on top of an OS can ever be justified to 4 figures of any currency for a single copy and I say that based on the experience of having been in the computing business professionally for a large portion of my working life (including writing and developing).

The problem with Car companies in general (in my opinion anyway) seems to be that they don't know how to value something based on what it actually cost to be built (as opposed to simply plucking a 5 figure sum out of the air) and so the whole industry is endemic with its outrageous prices for everything like a small rubber bung at some ridiculous price that probably cost around 50p to actually produce, which, even with a 100% markup to £1 or even 200% to £1.50, they'd probably still charge £7.50 for... (their mindset being that £1.50 is too cheap to be in a £20,000 car...)

Same with the software/firmware in/for their cars. The really sad thing is that they don't get that if you price something "reasonably", they would end up actually making MORE revenue overall in the end because people would be happy to pay a "reasonable" price for an official licenced copy rather than rip them off by hacking and finding an illegal source for a copy. They reap what they sow I'm afraid...

I don't expect anybody to have any sympathy with your local dealer but dealers of any franchise are a captive audience they have to have the kit that is "official" no matter what the cost. Look at our 15K Run flat tyre machine :eek:

It's not just car dealerships, you could apply that to most franchise situations. I was looking for an official copy of Microsoft Access today, what a ridiculous price that is!!!

Absolutely it is! (Access) ...it may surprise you to learn that I do have some sympathy with the dealers because of their "captive" nature with Toyota (& others) but then I don't agree with the whole "franchise" business model either but that's a whole different topic for discussion elsewhere!

I just wish the whole capitalist world could get off this "greed merry-go-round" completely and put some common sense back into trading which, for me, would mean that when demand rises, prices should FALL and NOT go up!! :)

@Kingo - Become an Academy sponsor, then you can buy the licences at educational prices :lol:

(The licensing is pretty mad; I think the full Office package retails for about £200 but the edu licences are less than £20! :lol:)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links