Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Prius Won't Open Fob Key Does Not Work

snash1039

The car won't unlock with the electronic key or the manual key in the door. It just beeps when you hit the Just brought the car yesterday. I checked the keyfob and I assume it is working. There is a red flashing light when i press the button.

Any suggestions on how I can get this resolved?

Thanks

Snash1039

Which button are you pressing, the one on the remote, or the keyless locking button on the handle?

What beeping is it doing? Is it a long tone for about 3 seconds? If so this normally means not all the doors are closed properly, or the key is still in the car (if using the button on the door handle to lock).

I am pressing the open button...it beeps...but it doesn't seem to be doing anything.

The beeping a slight noise when you open the doors to the car. I tried every angle

closed button, open button and spent an hour without luck. I am pressing the button

on the remote button...which is the key I use to drive it. I also used the side keys

which is attached to the key fob and that didn't either work.

... I also used the side keys which is attached to the key fob and that didn't either work.

If the manual key has not been used for a while, it is not uncommon for the key lock barrel to bind. This can be mitigated by spraying a small amount of CRC or WD-40 type oil in and around the key lock barrel. Also, due to the design of the key itself, it takes a little more (perceived) force to twist the key in the barrel.

Don't have any ideas for the other issue.

Also tried that and that didn't help either.

Are there any mechanics in the East London area that can be recommended.

Thanks

I managed to open the drivers door, but the passengers doors and not unlocking. Also there is no power to the car as it

is not starting up the car. Presuming the Battery is dead.

12v is dead, open bonnet, use jump leads +ve on the red power point, passenger side of the engine bay, and -ve to earth. Battery will need charging up still.

• Like 1

Do you think the Battery needs changing? It's no point charging up if the problem flares up again.

Depends on why the Battery is flat?

Did it wear out due to age? (quite possible if it is the original part) In the Prius, the 12V Battery can have a typical life of 4-5 years but some last much less for example in low mileage/infrequently used cars and some last longer in high mileage/frequently used cars).

Or is there a fault that is draining the 12V Battery?

Toyota offer a fixed price repair of £95 to replace the 12V battery, some customers have been charged a lot more although it is not always clear if they were dealing with a main dealer or what they had done. Some dealers also forget about the fixed price repair, my local dealer did and I had to remind them by pointing to the information on the wall behind the person serving at the counter! - as a spare part my dealer was quoting a higher price than the fixed repair just for the 12V battery.

When I purchased the vehichle (2 days go) the seller said she has done nothing with it when she had the car in 2011, apart from MOT and servicing. I got an old AA receipt from 02/2014

of a flat Battery dead.

When I purchased the vehichle (2 days go) the seller said she has done nothing with it when she had the car in 2011, apart from MOT and servicing. I got an old AA receipt from 02/2014

of a flat battery dead.

Does that mean the Battery was replaced a year ago, or that AA provide a receipt for a jump start?

With infrequent usage it is possible to reduce the life-span to a year. Even sooner if the owner was careless and flattened the Battery a few times.

Owner error? Used ACC ignition mode to power the accessories e.g. sitting in the car with the manual try to figure out how the controls work?

I called eurocarparts and said what v12 Battery I'll need, is this the AGM one?

No, the Battery was not replaced ... as far I was told ...it was a receipt for a jump start in Feb 2014.

I called eurocarparts and said what v12 battery I'll need, is this the AGM one?

I believe it is the AGM one. What price have they quoted? I'd be very surprised if its less than the price Toyota charge, which is fitted by a main dealer knowing what they're doing :)

The Toyota dealers have quoted me £95 pounds ...excluding fitting costs.

Becareful if you go away from manufactures recommendation. There are threads on here explaining about the 'breather pipe' which is in a different position on non Toyota batteries, this will need to be modified to prevent the possibility of gas build up in the boot area.

They're wrong, that should be £95 fitted under the fixed price service that UK dealers provide.
  • Like 1

No, that won't do as on that Battery the Battery posts have the wrong orientation. It is also not an AGM from what I can tell.

When I searched, a few years ago, for third party suppliers for an AGM drop in replacement, I could not find one in GB, but then again the Exide FP-AGM51JIS was not available at that time. Having said that, I'm not sure whether that Battery is available in GB.

Let's be clear on this point though, a flooded Pb/Acid of sufficient capacity (40-45 Ah), the correct Post size (JIS), the correct post orientation (-ve on the right) and the correct dimensions (127mm W x 238mm L x 200-210 H (inc Posts)) will work for all intents and purposes.

The issue of a non-AGM is around safety. As the battery is carried in the passenger compartment, a flooded Pb/Acid battery poses the risk of spraying your passengers and even the driver with sulphuric acid in the event of a severe impact to the RR quadrant or a rollover event. If you are prepared to take that risk so be it.

Personally (for the sake of ~£40), with everything considered, the fixed price offer of a new OEM supplied and fitted for £95 is an exceptionally good deal for what it is and you'd be ill-advised to pass that up. But that is just my evaluation. Considering that the OEM battery costs well over £110 on its own, you have to wonder at how Toyota GB are making the maths work.

My 2p worth, take it how you like.

Good luck with your search.

• Like 1

The Exide Premium is due to be discontinued (load web-catalog from here, and search for article EA457), so make sure that the seller will honor the warranty terms should you have a problem with the Battery during the warranty period.

The other alternatives (flooded Pb/Acid) for HJ-S46B24R (45Ah/330A) AGM Battery are:

1. Bosch S4 022 (Part No. 545 157 033)

2. Yuasa YBX5057

3. Varta Blue Dynamic 545 157 033

4. Duracell DA 45L

If the existing Battery in your car is S34B20R (i.e.- 38Ah/272A), then you may choose to replace it with flooded battery with similar capacity/CCA or even with any of those listed above.

Make sure you get the 055 fitting, the 054 in your link is the wrong way round.

Euro car parts have an AGM one but it's £135

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Toyota_Prius_1.5_2006/p/car-parts/car-electrics-and-car-lighting/electrical/car-battery/?444770091&1&85a412feb079c781ed898b3844f304ac045b6336&000020

You might as well go for the Toyota one.

No, that won't do as on that Battery the Battery posts have the wrong orientation. It is also not an AGM from what I can tell.

When I searched, a few years ago, for third party suppliers for an AGM drop in replacement, I could not find one in GB, but then again the Exide FP-AGM51JIS was not available at that time. Having said that, I'm not sure whether that Battery is available in GB.

Let's be clear on this point though, a flooded Pb/Acid of sufficient capacity (40-45 Ah), the correct Post size (JIS), the correct post orientation (-ve on the right) and the correct dimensions (127mm W x 238mm L x 200-210 H (inc Posts)) will work for all intents and purposes.

The issue of a non-AGM is around safety. As the battery is carried in the passenger compartment, a flooded Pb/Acid battery poses the risk of spraying your passengers and even the driver with sulphuric acid in the event of a severe impact to the RR quadrant or a rollover event. If you are prepared to take that risk so be it.

Personally (for the sake of ~£40), with everything considered, the fixed price offer of a new OEM supplied and fitted for £95 is an exceptionally good deal for what it is and you'd be ill-advised to pass that up. But that is just my evaluation. Considering that the OEM battery costs well over £110 on its own, you have to wonder at how Toyota GB are making the maths work.

My 2p worth, take it how you like.

Good luck with your search.

I couldn't agree more myself to be honest.

You'll find that is including fitting.

https://www.toyota.co.uk/caring-for-your-toyota/service-and-maintenance/repairs.json

"All prices are fully fitted; including parts, labour and VAT (please

note the prices cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer or

discount). *MOT offer not applicable to Northern Ireland. Prices correct

as of 1st January 2015."

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links