Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Advice Needed Please Before I Buy!

Juneau

Hi, brand new and looking for some advice please. After owning a corolla for 10 years I defected to a suzuki sx4 but am looking for another toyota now.

I've seen a 07 auris T180, fsh, 80k on the clock. Body and interior immaculate, 12 months mot, been fir a drive and it was great.

Unfortunately I have NO knowledge of cars - ex hubbie would normally check things out for me. Could someone give me an idea of things I should be checking before I buy please (simple terminology please 😀 )

Check for if the engine has been replaced there was head gasket issues but Toyota rectified them .... And check if the egr valve has ever been cleaned

Check for if the engine has been replaced there was head gasket issues but Toyota rectified them .... And check if the egr valve has ever been cleaned

Thanks, couldn't see anything about the engine in the history so assuming not, will check the erg valve

Hello Lindsay - welcome to Toyota Owners Club.

Some cars with the 2.2 litre and 2 litre diesel engines (we don't know the percentage affected|) have experienced head gasket issues - the first post of the following thread provides an insight: http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/132178-charliefarlies-guide-to-the-toyota-2ad-diesel-engine-and-its-issues/

Toyota undertook to replace engines which experienced these issues for a goodwill period of 7 years/111,846 miles from the car's first registration date.

For some cars this goodwill period has now expired.

The service history supplied with the car won't necessarily show whether a car has experienced head gasket issues or whether an engine has been replaced. However, if you contact your local Toyota dealer with details of the car you're interested in (registration number or VIN), they should be able to check whether or not the car has had it's engine replaced.

If it has had a replacement engine, then it should be fine. If not, there is a question over whether it may experience a head gasket issue in the future, and, if it is older than 7 years, it will no longer be covered under the goodwill period.

Thankyou will call my local dealer tomorrow. Trying to decide between the auris and an Audi A3 diesel, far too stressful buying a car!

First question: can you elaborate on why you chose a diesel engine?

I didn't purposely choose the Diesel engine I was just searching toyotas, liked the look of the auris and saw one in auto trader, I've had a vw diesel before but not fussed between diesel or petrol

If money were no object, I might go back to diesel because I quite like the character. But not running many miles per annum and aware of the high cost of faults, I personally would not go diesel unless I had a very, very good reason.

Lindsay, it will ultimately be your personal choice between diesel and petrol but if you don't know anyone suitably qualified to check out a used car you should get the AA or the RAC or some other organisation to check it out before you buy.

You'll get some info here http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/buy_sell/buying_used/checking-the-car-out/

Always worthwhile checking out the HJ web site, you never know what you might learn lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Auris is rubbish, it's heavy, picks up speed slowly, rattles from everywhere, and don't beiieve everything you read on HonestJohn. HJ says Auris is better and will hold value as good as Civic and better than the Golf, what a load of rubbish! That's the rubbish I got dupe by and ended up buying the Auris. Regret is everyday!

So you bought an '07 TR with those ugly a$$ wheels and now you want to whine. Maybe YOUR Auris is rubbish but don't tar them all with the same stick. How many miles you done? Ever get it serviced? What kind of driver are you? Experienced?.....Capable?

If you were dumb enough to buy a car based solely on what the HJ review said then there's not much else to be said for you. Maybe if you put in a wee bit more effort you could bring something really worthwhile to the board... like your goodbye note.

• Like 1

What one needs to appreciate about the Honest John reviews is that the 'driving' section is written when the car is first reviewed. The Auris review actually says is:

"CAP predicts residual values after three years on a par with the Civic and ahead of the Golf".

"It will hold its value better than a Focus, a C4 or a 307."

Predictions are forecasts and not always based on knowledge or experience.

I've had two Auris from new - neither have rattled.

they do hold their value, I am looking for a 5 door 1.4/1.6 2007/2008, been looking for around 3 weeks now, not many for sale compared to the focus.

if anyone has one for sale in the north east PM me.

Auris is rubbish, it's heavy, picks up speed slowly, rattles from everywhere, and don't beiieve everything you read on HonestJohn. HJ says Auris is better and will hold value as good as Civic and better than the Golf, what a load of rubbish! That's the rubbish I got dupe by and ended up buying the Auris. Regret is everyday!

I've owned VWs that were unreliable money-pits and my cousin had so much trouble with his Honda Civic that he would never buy another Japanese car. In contrast my Auris has been very good generally.

• Like 1

My Auris has been fantastic 60000 miles of motoring and not missed a beat ... No rattles no squeaks .... Great on fuel seems fast enough to me keeps up if not faster than a lot of rivals .... I service mine all the time it is a proper no expense spared ..... But maybe I'm lucky we shall see with people's comments

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links