Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Verso 2001 - Help!

Quincy

Hello,

I drive a Toyota Yaris Verso and it is not starting up any more. After checking it through a mechanic, they have said that it is not a Battery issue nor is it a spark plug issue. I had a fully service done on it and it came with flying colours and no problems at all. The only thing that I changed was my car key. I had it fixed at Timpsons very recently and now my car is not starting up.

I don't see how a key could have created such a big problem

I dont know what to do - Please help me!

Did Timpsons replace the key and did the car start just after you had the key 'fixed'?

Yes, after the replacement, the car started up and I drove home.

It no longer starts up now :(

I would be inclined to go back to Timpsons and raise the issue with them.

Could be there is an issue with the key programming, and you could try the methods in the following thread - http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/tutorials/article/48-reprogramming-keys/

Please tell us the whole story as Timpsons can't have replaced the key unless you had one for them to copy.

If they made a copy is that the one that doesn't work?

Or does the original not work?

Did you drive home with both keys on the ring?

Sorry for my obscurity, MikeSh

My original key was worn out and did not work very well as the key had almost come out of its casing (was taped together to try and make it last as it was my only key). Since I was struggling to use that key, I went to Timpsons to get a copy made (This is K2 and the Original Key is K1). I then drove home with K2 in ignition and K1 in the back seat. I then kept K1 for safe keeping and wanted to use K2 regularly. Now, K2 is no longer starting up the car and K1 is almost unusable.

Now, what is the problem with my car?

If possible, have you tried starting with K1? The keys have a built in RFID which is read by a transmitter by the ignition lock. Without it, the ECU will not allow the engine to start but will still crank the engine (as far as I can remember).

If you have one of those flashing LEDs that's indicates that the immobiliser is activated when you take the key out of the lock then you can see if it stops flashing when you insert the key. This indicates that it has successfully identified the key and the immobiliser should be deactivated. If the LED continues to flash with the key in the lock then it will not start.

(apologies for the achronomia)

Sent from my iPad using Toyota OC

Yes, I tried to just about insert K1 and the flashing 'Security' light goes away. When I insert K2, the light carries on flashing rather than turn off. When I turn K2 in ignition, the engine makes 'tick' noises as if something is blocking the start up.

Does this mean that my new car key is completely unusable?

Sounds like the transponder in the K2 isn't working. Either it failed soon after you first used it or it never worked (not programmed?) and your K1 key was close enough to allow engine start before you sent it to the back seat. (The transponder is only needed to start the engine, it won't stop it once it's running.)

Either way you should take both keys back to Timsons and get them to fix it. You should/might be able to start the car with K2 while holding the fob of K1 next to it, though if the K2 transponder has 'failed funny' it might be interfering with the signal.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links